Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are You a Loner?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
phil1963
phil1963  2237 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Mar 2012 - 10:22 AM

ditto with above

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Mar 2012 - 10:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Consulo
Consulo  9762 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 1:12 PM

Loner.

I've never gone out and shot with other photographers and it's something I'd probably enjoy doing. When I've been out with friends and/or family and I take photos, I'm constantly apologising for holding people up, though they are usually very good about it.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 1:30 PM

Quote:
I've never gone out and shot with other photographers and it's something I'd probably enjoy doing.

I actually find my local camera club far better than I expected - they are as bad as i am for just stopping to shoot. As they might be reading this i can't say more about their quirky habits - oops.

Consulo
Consulo  9762 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 1:37 PM

Quote: I've never gone out and shot with other photographers and it's something I'd probably enjoy doing.

I actually find my local camera club far better than I expected - they are as bad as i am for just stopping to shoot. As they might be reading this i can't say more about their quirky habits - oops.

I did attend a camera group in Edinburgh around 4 or so years back. Everyone was lovely, but there was one chap in particular who, whilst a good photographer, seemed to kind of dominate proceedings. It put me off and I never went back.

I'll probably try a camera club again at some point, however.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 1:41 PM

Yeah i tried one like that, but found another nearby instead a year later.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 2:13 PM

My local camera club is a bit, shall we say, static............ i.e. they don't seem to do outings. I think it's the average age of the membership - handling a camera and a zimmer at the same time is a tad challenging! Wink They are still into 'slide battles' etc................ using slides from 40-50 years ago!

I must look further afield, I think. Photography is getting a bit too solitary! Smile

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY e2 Member 51432 forum postsDOGSBODY vcard England30 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 2:30 PM

Night photography was mentioned by devlin and I have to agree that that is one thing that I would be very wary about doing on my own. Even two people walking the streets at night with an expensive camera and accessories would be fair game for some of the less desirables out there.

And I agree with CB about some camera clubs. I am now getting to a rather venerable age myself and decided to look at my local club as it was on my doorstep and I would be able to walk to meetings. Unfortunately they do not have a digital projector (I stopped making prints about 3 years ago when I retired from the club lecture circuit and now have no use for them). They still have slide nights and just do not seem to be making a real effort to come onto the 21st century.

Last Modified By DOGSBODY at 23 Mar 2012 - 2:36 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 2:49 PM

Quote: Night photography was mentioned by devlin and I have to agree that that is one thing that I would be very wary about doing on my own.

A few years back I acted as (sort of) bodyguard, for a lady member of EPZ, while we walked along the banks of the Thames late at night taking photos.

But with high-quality results available from increasingly small cameras, one does not have to be too weighed down with bulky and obvious equipment these days.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 3:57 PM

Slide Nights - lmao ! Does this sort of thing really go on, now I know why i never look at camera clubs... but no honestly there must be some good ones out there ?

LesJD
LesJD  2122 forum posts Wales
23 Mar 2012 - 4:09 PM

Quote: Slide Nights - lmao ! Does this sort of thing really go on, now I know why i never look at camera clubs... but no honestly there must be some good ones out there ?

We've banned slide projection at our club,the quality is so good it shows how bad our digital projector is Wink

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 4:11 PM

Quote: My local camera club is a bit, shall we say, static

One of the reasons I'm not a member of my local club, I visited them as a guest about 4-5 years ago and was positively looked down upon for asking if anyone were into digital at the time! I wouldn't like to know if they're still the same, but I wouldn't be surprised!

I'm not looking down on film users, hell I still have a lot of film kit in the attic.....But without doubt some of these clubs need to drag themselves into the 21st century.

AdeSmile

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 4:25 PM

I enjoy the company but it does distract from serious photography which Ive always found when i was out with clubs ect, When i started doing living history photography I thought I had the perfect compromise, lots of company on location but no photographers to distract, Unfortunetly that has a downside in that I now take hundreds of photographs and share the lot with what has become good friends, and I believe over the years my photography has declined as I now do more quantity than quality.

The persons them selves are not as critical as me and fail to understand why im reluctent to upload images. In the begining I would take a few hundred at an event and if I had 10 that I personally liked then that was good, I dont have regrets about this as i enjoy the exsperience in other ways and have fantastic opportunitys but I miss the kick of finding that magic image that I once got.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122047 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 4:50 PM

Never alone. Always with my dog. And he has the patience of a saint.Wink

franken
franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2012 - 5:08 PM

I'm a loner for most of the time.

Ken

Dave_Canon
23 Mar 2012 - 7:53 PM

Quote: My local camera club is a bit, shall we say, static............ i.e. they don't seem to do outings. I think it's the average age of the membership - handling a camera and a zimmer at the same time is a tad challenging! Wink They are still into 'slide battles' etc................ using slides from 40-50 years ago!

I must look further afield, I think. Photography is getting a bit too solitary! Smile

Maybe you should try somewhere else. My Club stopped accepting slides 4 years ago it is prints and digitally projected only. We have two digital projectors and Laptops; the first was bought in 2005. The Club owns a copy of LR3, Elements 9, PS CS5, Pictures to exe and Photomatix which are used for demontrations and courses. Interesting there maybe a connection in that the average age at our Club has come down year by year for the last 7 years. However, we are a large club and thus have more money and resources than many small Clubs. As for outings, I organised one last year (there were several more organised by others as well) but the problem always seem to come down to the fact that only a small minority will organise events. We still have a couple of Battles with several local Clubs each year and these have also been prints and digitally projected for at least 3 years so as far as I can see all PAGB camera Clubs in Gloucestershire have been fully digital for many years which does confirm that your local Club is way behind. We have several members who travel far and wide judging and lecturing at other Clubs and they say that the majority of Club have benefited from the digital age which has led to significant expansion. However, they come across a few small Clubs that cling to the past and these tend to die eventually die out.

Out of interest, in the last two seasons before we stopped accepting slides, we ran slides along side digitally projected. This helped to kill off slides in that judges rarely picked any award from the slides. The fact is that those entering digitally had plenty of opportunity to improve their images which gave them a significant edge. While the quality of our first digital projector was not ideal, many slides were let down by their low dynamic range (lack of shadow detail).

Dave

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.