Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are you a tog tart or totally faithful!!!?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61192 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2009 - 11:47 PM

Perhaps I should clarify the question! I was looking at my portfolio against many others and have concluded that I am a right tog tart. I will photograph anything and everything. I have no specific area of expertise. Landscape, portrait, macro, flowers, water, any old thing. My pf is a complete shambles and so I removed a load of old clutter to try and tidy it up a bit. Now, my question is do we learn more by working within a set genre, so perfecting our skills that way or by just doing a bit of what we fancy on a regular basis!!!? Wink

Who thinks they are a "Tog Tart" or "Tog Totally Faithful!!?"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2009 - 11:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 12:37 AM

I'm pretty faithful but prone to the occasional flirt.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 12:39 AM

I have my fingers in many pies because you never know what photographic work you may be offered.
although if i were to remain true to form i think it would be Predominantly macro work followed by birds of prey.

matt.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014794 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 12:48 AM

Wildlife; macro size to large mammals for me, and a bit of selective landscape. However, I have dabbled in most genres, except glamour and portrait.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61192 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 1:15 AM

Quote: I have dabbled in most genres, except glamour and portrait.

Borderline Tog Tart, I would say! ;D

User_Removed
27 Aug 2009 - 2:09 AM

I guess im a tog tart in a sense, but...

Quote: Now, my question is do we learn more by working within a set genre, so perfecting our skills that way or by just doing a bit of what we fancy on a regular basis!!!?

Yes it helps to build up an understanding of a particular area.

When i began shooting wild birds i had no idea how to approach them, i usually unded up with a small bird in the distance or its arse end as it flew away from me. I persisted and eventually was producing some reasonably pleasing images, with blurred backgrounds.

Before i did birds i was photographing the sky and had never togged wild birds, save those blackbirds and thrushes in the local park.

And togging the sky took me a while before i eventually got it right.

I guess experimenting with other genres increases one overall knowledge in the fine arts of photography, but persisting with a genre/sub genre can reap big personal rewards.

iainhamiltonphotography

Tart thru and thru lol lol lol

Iain

Overread
Overread  63762 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 3:01 AM

Quote: Now, my question is do we learn more by working within a set genre, so perfecting our skills that way or by just doing a bit of what we fancy on a regular basis!!!?

Who thinks they are a "Tog Tart" or "Tog Totally Faithful!!?"

I don't think anyone into the hobby side of photography can honestly say they have never had a fling into another area, heck I'm sure even those who just sit in the booths in malls with a single set subject have taken snaps of other things (though possibly on their own camera Wink).
Myself I would say I am pretty faithfull, mostly since me taking the camera out is normally a more planned event than just spontanious (mostly as its lots of gear and stuff and when out and about I just sometimes don't want it to lug around - that and I don't have a point and shoot); thus my shooting tends to be more within my boundaries of interest - wildilfe, zoolife, macro (insects and flowers) and the odd landscape.
People don't interest me much and when out on holiday with family I do snap away at times - but mostly I don't get back "good" shots so they rarely make it off the computer into the net.

As for learning I think Missa hit on the important point that each different area has its own differences with regard to approching them with a photographic eye. The longer one spends shooting a single subject base the more they will be come familiar with that genre, with the skills and demands (both techincal, compositional and kit based) that it places upon them and their gear. Heck if they enjoy it enough even investing in specific gear to aid photography in that genre.

Further since photography is all based (no matter the subject) on the same base - that of lighting and working with it - working in any area will give a photographer base skills in camera operation and composition. These can easily be transfered to another genre to give good results - but of course the best of results (consistantly) will most likley come again from dedicated learning in that genre - reading around it and devopling a skill in that area.

I think also its important to point out that a persons level of interest in the subject is going to have a key effect on the images they get as well - something that is especially true when they are newer to the genre.
Someone with a strong and keen interest (or just a nice payslip) in an area of photography is far more likley to work harder and also be thinking more on the subject and the shot than someone with less interest or insentive to get the shots. It also affects how well each person will develop - for a person to work in a genre they don't like and they will most likley progess slower than someone with that burning desire.

minicooper
27 Aug 2009 - 6:07 AM

Tog tart here most def,

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 7:52 AM

Why stick to just one type of subject when we live in such a diverse world?

I become bored very easily with sticking to a set formula and can't wait to try something new - in fact, after 50 years of still photography my main interest now is to take movies of the places and events that I go to. They will hold far more memories for me as I move into my dotage than looking at a few still pictures.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110265 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 8:15 AM

A definite "Tart", can't make my mind up about what I enjoy most so I tend to keep trying out new styles and formats.

(At the end of it all I do tend to drop back into bee macros, so I guess there may be one little bit of my Toggy Heart that is faithful? Smile )

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 8:27 AM

I tend to stick to landscape with the odd foray into architecture - although, within landscape, there's a lot of scope for trying something a little different. I keep thinking I should be trying for a consistent 'look' or approach but then I just enjoy going with the flow and photographing whatever takes my fancy.

JBA
JBA  6341 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 8:34 AM

I'm focusing down a bit more these days, pun intended Wink
I know I'm not a landscape man, or much into wildlife shots or insect macro. I'm coming round to the view that people, and objects associated with people are the most important thing in my photographs.
I'm refining my approach, and on what I'm trying to 'say' a bit more, so whatever I'm taking has my imprint on it I guess. Does that make me an egomaniac? hmmm. . .Wink
Jon

Miles Herbert
27 Aug 2009 - 9:02 AM

I'm an utter tart ....

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2009 - 9:28 AM

I'm a semi-tart - I shoot what I like, but that's reasonably limited to around 5 genres these days.

You learn more about a genre by concentrating on one genre

you learn more about photography in general by trying many genres.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.