Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Are you as bad as me at taking "hand held" photos?

Hi all

Why is it, not matter how still I am, whether I am standing up or laying down, resting my arms on the ground or have my elbows in the air I don't seem to be able to take a sharp photo?

It's not because of low light conditions or slow shutter speeds, Sunday morning I was in the garden and even with the shutter at 2000/sec I still had trouble taking shots.

At least I have a tripod but there's not always time to set that up.

Ashley

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Jun 2004 8:18PM
Could be that you are trying too hard ?? I know sometimes I tense up when taking a picture - guarantees shake. Try relaxing and see if that helps?
zippie Plus
11 1.3k England
28 Jun 2004 8:23PM
What gear are you using ?

Someone on here (I believe it was Nyx) once told me that when taking a photo, keep your arms in tight to your body, and breathe out when pressing the shutter, and it works for me !
SuziBlue Plus
12 16.2k 10 Scotland
28 Jun 2004 8:25PM
I'll second Zippie's post. Once I started breathing out when pressing the shutter, rather than not breathing, my shots got considerably sharper. I also stopped going blue in the face.

Wink
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
28 Jun 2004 8:26PM
Not sure what the answer is, apart from sharpening after in PS, or whatever you use. You read all this stuff about taking a breath and holding it etc, etc, but I never remember that! Make sure you are squeezing the trigger gently, rather than snatching at it, but I'm sure you've tried all this before! I would guess well over 90% of my shots are hand held, I very rarely use a tripod. When I go out, it normally gets left behind in the car, along with the monopod!

Frank
28 Jun 2004 8:49PM
I must admit to using a tripod more often than not, along with mirror lockup too but then, my camera is a bit of a beast to hand hold. (A neckstrap makes quite a bit of difference though)

Frank
kelart Plus
10 570
28 Jun 2004 9:11PM
i wish i could use tripod more often. well, my photos are shaken more often when i'm using the tripod than when i'm not. it's time to buy a more sturdy one.Smile it's not good to shoot quickly from the hip like john wayne (even if some pros look like they do during glamour sessions).
28 Jun 2004 9:13PM
if you are using studio lights then a tripod isn't so necessary as the brief flash duration freezes any movement anyway
brian1208 Plus
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2004 9:14PM
I am finding that my hand-held shots are improving. Partly its because I am thinking more about the "reciprocal law". (Shutter speed at least equal to 1/focal length ((I usually try for at least twice that)). However, I think my greatest improvement has come from using an old rifle target shooting trick.

If I feel I am wavering (usually the case) I set the focus manually to approximately the right adjustment, then deliberately move the camera to get the final focus point. As I cross the point of focus I press the shutter (gently - as Frank said). I don't know if it will work for others but it helps me.

For longer exposures it has to be proper support - monopod, tripod, railing - anything to anchor the camera. (I've been experimenting using the monopod at its shortest, then trapping it between my body and a suitable firm base - it looks to have possibilties)

Brian
28 Jun 2004 9:15PM
Tripods! Even that word puts the fear of whatsisname into me! I've nearly dented my youngest's head with one of those cos I didnt have the knack, better now though, think ePZ ought to have a tripod range for practice!
28 Jun 2004 9:29PM
Tripods are our friends . . . come, join us - don't be afraid!
28 Jun 2004 9:35PM
I got myself a shutter release and it's a marvelous thing when on a tripod - no more knocking the camera when you press the button. Of course the same can be done with setting the self timer off everytime.

Paul
28 Jun 2004 9:38PM
So self portraits would be a breeze with that then???
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
28 Jun 2004 9:40PM
Or even mirror lock up with the timer!

Frank
28 Jun 2004 9:41PM
Oh blimey Frank dont blind me with science I'm a beginner! lol

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.