Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Are you professional?

Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
9 Jan 2011 7:07PM
I earn all of my income from photography, therefore I consider myself to be a pro.

However, I don't consider my 5D MKII and 50D as a Pro cameras and I'd be interested to know what exactly I should look like to ' look the part?'

Oh and I've just submitted my 2009/2010 tax return so Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
9 Jan 2011 7:22PM
While agreeing with everything Paul says, I'd hasten to add that it's something that some of us have been banging on about on here for a long time...
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Jan 2011 7:42PM
(Come back James - (nearly) all is forgiven...)

Wink
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2011 7:50PM

Quote:I'd be interested to know what exactly I should look like to ' look the part?'

...buy a proper lens hood and stop using a Tesco's bread bag and elastic band.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2011 7:56PM
...thats much more upmarket...should do the trick.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
9 Jan 2011 8:18PM
Looks a bit out of place with the hoody, gold ID bracelet and pimped Corsa 'tho. Wink
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2011 8:20PM
da bomb.......
monkeygrip 6 574 6 England
9 Jan 2011 8:22PM

Quote:by Monkeygrip...............and the old adage about paying peanuts.

LOL GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
Maybe pun not intended but that is sooo funny!!

I can work for peanuts but I insist they are covered in chocolate lol.
KathyW 11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
9 Jan 2011 8:37PM

Quote:I'd be interested to know what exactly I should look like to ' look the part?'

...buy a proper lens hood and stop using a Tesco's bread bag and elastic band.

Tescos bread bags are cr@p- you get mice in your camera bag, they are attracted by the crumbs, then they chew through the elastic band and just when you need it your kit fails you...
Monkeygrip - you'd better keep an eye on your chocolate peanuts or the small rodents will be after those too Tongue
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Jan 2011 8:56PM

Quote:(Come back James - (nearly) all is forgiven...)

LOL...He's here in spirit....Smile

Whats next on the moan list, It will soon look just like 2010, 2009,2008 etc etc......Grin
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
9 Jan 2011 9:07PM
Whatever did happen to Realestate, did he leave or give up photography all together?
muzzeyman 10 293 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2011 9:12PM
Christ! give me the days of film only cameras. Photography is fast becoming 'an elitist' and snobbish world, due the digital era I used to love playing golf, but got constantly fed up by the whole snobbery of the golf club.

I remember Tony Jacklyn doing a video from Whiterock GC on the Isle of Man (bear with me). He started off by having a 'pop' at all the new found technology, lob wedge this 15 degree pitch that etc. He then produced a 100 year old club from his bag, which equated to a 7 iron i think, tee'd up a ball on a par 3 and proceeded to place the ball to within 4 feet of the pin. His closing comment - " who needs modern technology, when in the the right hands something as old as this club can produce a shot like that"!

How does this equate to photography? Simple, having the best equipment does not make you necessarily a better photographer. Who needs a D3, 1Ds mkIV 5DMkII etc, when with in the hands of a competent photographer the same 'desired' result can be achieved with an AE1 or Nikon F3.

Look back at some of the most memorable photographs of the last 100 years or so and then look at the equipment used by the togs to get those results.
Closing statement 'owning a Bugatti Veryon does not make me a racing driver, any more than owing a pair of football boots makes me a premiership footballer'
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2011 9:12PM
ask Lucian, he may know.
paulbroad 7 82 866 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2011 10:42AM
What also interests me, whilst on this line of discussion, is how many potential customers are out there and simply cannot afford the full package from a top experienced pro. It is usually money that drives these people into the arms of the cowboy, and most potential customers are not wealthy.

Because I have no wish to be a wedding pro in the classical sense I will not take on these full day events, will not supply albums, reprints and so on.

When approached, if I am prepared to do anything at all, I offer to turn up at the wedding - I do do a recce first - shoot a series of (hopefully) quality images of all the standard groups - hence the tripod - and supply these images, processed in Photoshop as necessary, on DVD. I then walk away.

Many will deplore this. But, the bride and groom save a lot of money which they badly need to set up home, or can ill afford. They get the standard shots from which, should they choose, they can get prints, Photobooks and so on. There are umpteen other people there shooting with compacts anyway - there should be a couple of good images amongst them. I give them the phone number of the firm I use for processing and a Photobook website. I charge by the hour at a sensible rate allowing for tax.

Whatever the reaction here, you can rest assured that, if I wanted it, I would have a Queue round the block for this service. I did just 2 weddings last year, one this year on 2 Jan. I have already had 3 phone calls as a result of the latest wedding (as I put my name on the contact sheets) asking for a similar service. I have turned them all down.

I know it's all to do with profit margins, overheads and so on, but many professionals do not offer a truely basic service - I know. I am also aware of the scale of charges from many local pro's in my area and the really good ones are also horrendously expensive. They deliver a superb package of the highest quality, and you need a mortgage when the bill comes.

Going back to the good old fashioned weddinjavascript:;g photography of years ago - 3 rolls of 120 through my Mamiya - and everyone was happy. Tripod, flash fill, set groups and that's it. Now it's 08.00 to 20.00 and 2000 images.

One final rant. My last wedding was typical. The hotel manager approached me as I arrived. Did I have public liability insurance and how long would I be taking the pictures. They were heartily sick of meals being ruined by the photographer taking far too long.

Paul
11 Jan 2011 3:34PM
Paul I find yourcomments interesting in relation to budget wedding phototgraphy. Daughter announced her engagement at Christmas, wedding in March 2012. Mother of the bride would not dream of attempting to do the photos Wink

Instead she gets to book the photographer, with father of the bride holding the purse strings. In addition the bride does NOT want: photos of her getting ready, or more than a handful of group shots. Just informal shots, some outside if the weather allows. The total number of people at the wedding will be 24 and photos are not required once we all sit down to dinner. Helpfully (or not) the bride will be in red. Only my daughter...................!

I am finding it difficult to envisage any professional who is going to do this but currently looking at the SWPP site and hoping we can get what she wants.

Her future sister in law has a wedding album you could use as a doorstop apparently, it took 12 months to appear as it the photographer was 'someone her dad knew at work'. Apart from not needing a doorstop we will not be going down that route Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.