Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are you Still Smoking?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014821 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 7:51 PM

Time to quit!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2013 - 7:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
25 Jan 2013 - 7:57 PM

how times change when the war was on they gave em ciggies Smile

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3799 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 8:13 PM

There is a heck of a difference between being on the Front-Line, in the seat of an about to take off wartime aircraft, a tank or on a warship and your very life hangs in the balance....smoking was something of a comforter then:

I worked with an ex infantry man who was rescued off the Dunkirk Beaches in 1940, went on to become a dispatch Rider landing on the D Day Beaches, battling through Caen, then on and upwards to Germany, being shot at on a regular basis....his war stories kept us all spellbound....very sadly he died a year after the birth of his second child from smoking related cancer.

Hobbo

Last Modified By hobbo at 25 Jan 2013 - 8:13 PM
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 - 8:17 PM

[quote]“Those that quit smoking by age 30 basically got the full decade of life back and those that quit smoking even by age 40 got nine years of life back.”

...someone said "there are lies, damn lies and statistics" Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110291 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 8:19 PM

I stopped about 20 years ago, with retirement approaching I worked out how much it was costing and it made my pre-retirement spread sheet turn red!

A major operation gave me a grand excuse to pack it in and apart from the odd twinge now and then I didn't miss it

(now giving up the booze, particularly good malt whisky was a whole lot harder Wink )

tezquirk
tezquirk  227 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 - 8:29 PM

Smoking is a nasty old Habit that is dying Out ( thankfully ) .. I smoked for a couple of year's when i was a teenager , But gave up when my heavy smoking uncle died of lung cancer Sad If you truly care about your Body & your Health , You can quit Tomorrow .. Smile Live Long and prosper i say . SmileSmile

Tez..

llareggub
llareggub  4706 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 - 8:35 PM

Is there really a point to this post...

Ask a question, post a solution, but purlease stop posting the bleedling obvious. Those that smoke know that it is bad for them, those that want to stop enough will stop, those that don't will not... Those that go on about it serve no purpose whatsoever!

Last Modified By llareggub at 25 Jan 2013 - 8:35 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014821 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 8:39 PM

It isn't about longevity, imo, it's about quality of life, and not smoking sure as heck improved my quality of life. My wife and I gave up smoking after 35 years of the pack-a-day habit over 13 years ago, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I was able to do it.

It isn't so much about money as it is about health, and well being; feeling good about yourself. One of the benefits that I like most, is to not be dependent on something as ludicrous as a cigarette; I don't have to make sure I have enough to last me till I can get to the shop for more, I'm freeeee!!!!!!!Wink

StrayCat
25 Jan 2013 - 8:44 PM

There's just as much point to this post as there is to any other. It depends on the individual. I hope it inspires at least one person to reclaim their life from a self-inflicted addiction. Anybody who smokes, or has smoked, knows it's a millstone around your neck, and it gets worse every day. People who are regular smokers are the colour of dead people, that should be enough.

canonfan46
25 Jan 2013 - 10:09 PM

Now its my turn to go on about it......

I started smoking at school and over the next fifty years I became a chain smoker on 50/60 a day. Yes 50/60 a day.

I retired a perfectly healthy man at 61 and a year later, after a visit to my doctor, I found myself standing outside the health centre smoking what I swore was going to be my last cigarette.

While I was smoking it I thought "how stupid can I be, to have believed that I could have gotten away with poluting my body so much for 50 years"

I never smoked another since and am I glad.

llareggub
llareggub  4706 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 - 10:55 PM

Quote: There's just as much point to this post as there is to any other. It depends on the individual. I hope it inspires at least one person to reclaim their life from a self-inflicted addiction. Anybody who smokes, or has smoked, knows it's a millstone around your neck, and it gets worse every day. People who are regular smokers are the colour of dead people, that should be enough.

Whilst I appreciate this is an anything goes part of the forum, the OP did nowt but link to an article elsewhere on t'intrweb, offered no thoughts, no insight and no ideas...

There is nothing new in the post that was linked to and I am pretty sure that everyone knows smoking is bad for you all I want to know is... Why, what, who and what do you think about it rather than an abstract link to an article, as far as I am concerned the OP is lazy!

I offered an opinion and was called a plonker the OP offered a hyperlink and is what?????

canonfan46
25 Jan 2013 - 11:14 PM

The OP posted a link to a subject in an effort to instigate a discussion. If you had no interest in that subject why not just ignore it rather than dismiss a perfectly good discussion as "serving no purpose at all".

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53629 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 12:04 AM

Like many unhealthy compulsions isn't smoking just a battle of fighting addiction and social situations vs coming to terms with the real effects others notice and finding the strength to change the habit.
Having lost quite a few relatives to cancer and smoking related issues, and still having some family members yet to realise the concern caused and the physical distress caused by 2nd hand smoke to others, so I join the ranks of those who ask smokers to reconsider their habits grip on them.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 12:06 AM

Many people drink too much Smile

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
26 Jan 2013 - 12:22 AM

What about smoking untipped for 80years, fit as a fiddle

what about didnt drink, watched the diet, exercises regular, 54 drops down dead

what about never had a cigarette or drank, died of cancer

Im not saying its good for you but i do feel the body make up has something to do with the outcomes

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.