Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Are you Still Smoking?

thewilliam 6 5.1k
31 Jan 2013 10:00AM
The comedian, Roy Castle, died from lung cancer caught from secondary smoking in the clubs where he worked.

As a teenager in the 1960s, I was strictly forbidden to shoot but I was a member of a gun club and I masked the reek of cordite by joining the other members for pint in a smoky pub. In those innocent times, we went drinking from the age of about 15 and were never challenged.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

shanelaze 3 8 1 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 2:21PM
I finally managed to stop smoking 11 months ago. I was a heavy (very heavy) smoker fro 20 years and in that time I tried may times to quit (only lasting a week or so at best!). Finally seams to have cracked it and feeling a lot better for it (so is my wallet!). I've put on a few KGs but slowely working them of at the gym and long walks with the dogs. I guess it's just a case of not giving up trying to give up!
StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
31 Jan 2013 11:50PM
One's metabolism slows quite a bit after quitting for up to three years; it's part of life.Smile
Paul Morgan 13 16.6k 6 England
1 Feb 2013 1:22AM

Quote:One's metabolism slows quite a bit after quitting for up to three years; it's part of life

I believe its the over way around Denny and the stomach starts working as it should Smile
StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
1 Feb 2013 7:25AM
What I tried to say is that for up to 3 years after quitting, weight gain is normal.Smile
1 Feb 2013 7:44PM

Quote:What I tried to say is that for up to 3 years after quitting, weight gain is normal

I`d say it was common, but its not normal, people need to adjust other habits at the same time, like food intake.

Its a bit like someone who is hypothyroid claiming the problem has caused them to gain weight Smile
StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
1 Feb 2013 8:02PM
Paul, you'll have to take that up with the medical doctor who told me that one's metabolism slows down for up to 3 years after quitting. We walked 11/2 hours every day, and went on a diet, and still put on weight; me 41 lbs, and my wife 30 lbs. We eventually were able to take the weight off a couple years later. People are different, so it will affect each individual differently. What I stated is what I was told by a doctor. One other symptom of quitting is a greatly increased appetite for food, and an increased enjoyment of flavours you couldn't taste before.

Now, you might be different altogether.Wink
KevSB 11 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 8:48PM
I put on 6 stones after giving up smoking, over the next 4 years. It's definitely something you have to be aware of when packing in.
1 Feb 2013 8:55PM
Yes when I gave up smoking I also made over adjustments to compensate and never gained an once.

A few years later I gained 3 stone due to a medical condition that causes most people to loose weight Smile
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
1 Feb 2013 9:02PM
I gave up about 8 or 9 years ago and it's the best decision I have ever made in my life. I also put some weight on, about 4 stone in all. Thankfully I've managed to lose it all and more, through eating healthy food and eating an absolute minimum of any calorie intensive foods, i.e. cakes and sweets, etc. A bit of weight training in addition to, running and cycling five or six times a week for the last four or five years has ensured the weight stays off.

The best advice I was given when contemplating giving up was that when you get a craving, just remember that it will only last a matter of a few seconds and then it'll be gone.

I tried to give up once before over 25 years ago. Because my heart wasn't really in it, I managed to get as far as 11.30 in the morning without one Grin and my god that was a struggle. When I quit for good 9 years ago, my mind was made up that I wasn't going to smoke again and I couldn't believe how easy it was, very much mind over matter.
KevSB 11 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 9:22PM
I think we are painting a bad picture now about the weight piling on, just be aware of it , I wasn't and it crept up on me over the next couple of years, like above the determination that stopped me smoking channelled into losing the weight and lost 10 stone, so thanks to stopping smoking I've never been better and now weigh less than I did when I was 21. Over 30 years ago
StrayCat Plus
11 16.1k 2 Canada
1 Feb 2013 9:41PM
Let's face it, it's a life altering change for most of us, and for me, I made a total lifestyle change. Fortunately my wife agreed to quit at the same time, and it made it much easier. While I was away at work the first week, she painted the house inside and cleaned all the curtains, cleaned out the closets, washed what she wanted to keep, and threw out old stuff. After a week, there was no smell of smoke in our home. And my wife still gets on my case about my preaching.Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.