Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Are you Still Smoking?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
31 Jan 2013 - 10:00 AM

The comedian, Roy Castle, died from lung cancer caught from secondary smoking in the clubs where he worked.

As a teenager in the 1960s, I was strictly forbidden to shoot but I was a member of a gun club and I masked the reek of cordite by joining the other members for pint in a smoky pub. In those innocent times, we went drinking from the age of about 15 and were never challenged.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2013 - 10:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

shanelaze
shanelaze  3 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 2:21 PM

I finally managed to stop smoking 11 months ago. I was a heavy (very heavy) smoker fro 20 years and in that time I tried may times to quit (only lasting a week or so at best!). Finally seams to have cracked it and feeling a lot better for it (so is my wallet!). I've put on a few KGs but slowely working them of at the gym and long walks with the dogs. I guess it's just a case of not giving up trying to give up!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014794 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 11:50 PM

One's metabolism slows quite a bit after quitting for up to three years; it's part of life.Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 1:22 AM

Quote: One's metabolism slows quite a bit after quitting for up to three years; it's part of life

I believe its the over way around Denny and the stomach starts working as it should Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 1 Feb 2013 - 1:23 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014794 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:25 AM

What I tried to say is that for up to 3 years after quitting, weight gain is normal.Smile

Last Modified By StrayCat at 1 Feb 2013 - 7:27 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:44 PM

Quote: What I tried to say is that for up to 3 years after quitting, weight gain is normal

I`d say it was common, but its not normal, people need to adjust other habits at the same time, like food intake.

Its a bit like someone who is hypothyroid claiming the problem has caused them to gain weight Smile

StrayCat
1 Feb 2013 - 8:02 PM

Paul, you'll have to take that up with the medical doctor who told me that one's metabolism slows down for up to 3 years after quitting. We walked 11/2 hours every day, and went on a diet, and still put on weight; me 41 lbs, and my wife 30 lbs. We eventually were able to take the weight off a couple years later. People are different, so it will affect each individual differently. What I stated is what I was told by a doctor. One other symptom of quitting is a greatly increased appetite for food, and an increased enjoyment of flavours you couldn't taste before.

Now, you might be different altogether.Wink

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 8:48 PM

I put on 6 stones after giving up smoking, over the next 4 years. It's definitely something you have to be aware of when packing in.

Paul Morgan
1 Feb 2013 - 8:55 PM

Yes when I gave up smoking I also made over adjustments to compensate and never gained an once.

A few years later I gained 3 stone due to a medical condition that causes most people to loose weight Smile

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 9:02 PM

I gave up about 8 or 9 years ago and it's the best decision I have ever made in my life. I also put some weight on, about 4 stone in all. Thankfully I've managed to lose it all and more, through eating healthy food and eating an absolute minimum of any calorie intensive foods, i.e. cakes and sweets, etc. A bit of weight training in addition to, running and cycling five or six times a week for the last four or five years has ensured the weight stays off.

The best advice I was given when contemplating giving up was that when you get a craving, just remember that it will only last a matter of a few seconds and then it'll be gone.

I tried to give up once before over 25 years ago. Because my heart wasn't really in it, I managed to get as far as 11.30 in the morning without one Grin and my god that was a struggle. When I quit for good 9 years ago, my mind was made up that I wasn't going to smoke again and I couldn't believe how easy it was, very much mind over matter.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 9:22 PM

I think we are painting a bad picture now about the weight piling on, just be aware of it , I wasn't and it crept up on me over the next couple of years, like above the determination that stopped me smoking channelled into losing the weight and lost 10 stone, so thanks to stopping smoking I've never been better and now weigh less than I did when I was 21. Over 30 years ago

StrayCat
1 Feb 2013 - 9:41 PM

Let's face it, it's a life altering change for most of us, and for me, I made a total lifestyle change. Fortunately my wife agreed to quit at the same time, and it made it much easier. While I was away at work the first week, she painted the house inside and cleaned all the curtains, cleaned out the closets, washed what she wanted to keep, and threw out old stuff. After a week, there was no smell of smoke in our home. And my wife still gets on my case about my preaching.Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.