Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

are you supplied gas and electric from Npower? the tax evader?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
30 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

Npower: another TAX CHEAT has been rumbled! Over the past few days a top tax expert has been investigating their accounts. Today the results of that investigation are splashed across the S*n newspaper - where it will be read by millions.

Last week it was found out Npower hadn't paid a penny in corporation tax in the last three years.

Now a tax expert paid for by donations from 38 Degrees members has uncovered the likely explanation.
They're funneling profits made in the UK through a shell company in Malta.
It looks like this has helped them dodge 60 million in tax over the last four years!

NOW YOU MAY WONDER WHY YOU NEED TO PAY EXTRA TAX? or buy gas and lekky from them!

Weve got them. And its donations from 38 Degrees members that have uncovered this scam.
Other tax dodging companies have backed down once the glare of publicity is on them. This newspaper coverage, and our 100,000 signature strong petition is a great start. Now its time to take this straight to Npower's chief executive.

Please click here to send Npower CEO Paul Massara an email demanding he meets with 38 Degrees members and tells us how he'll put an end to this immoral tax dodge:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/email-npower-ceo

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 9:13 AM

not sure why you're pushing your politics at us

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 9:23 AM

'Clicktivism' makes him feel good and he just wants to spread the news about how just good he feels. Bless....

(to be honest it is putting me off ever reading 38degrees again)

Last Modified By mikehit at 30 Apr 2013 - 9:23 AM
KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 9:25 AM

Quote: Not sure why you're pushing your politics at us

Healthy Debate section, He is entitled to express his opinion. and no different from those touting votes for an external photo comps. Just on a subject that is more important to Pablo. Your choice to read this section of the forums.
I'm at the despondent Phase, these campaigns are good but most politicians seem to ignore them, and when someone has a genuine good cause then everyone else starts a similar vote watering down the intended good work of the original.

For example the recent Ian Duncan smith vote, It was so successful with votes getting 500k, highest ever recorded. Totally ignored and within days a vote was started against nearly every member of the cabinet making it a mockery of the intended statement it tried to make.

Last Modified By KevSB at 30 Apr 2013 - 9:30 AM
RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 9:31 AM

Sorry, don't agree. Every company has a duty to its shareholders to maximise its profits & therefore dividends in any legal way possible. If the government don't like it, they should close the loopholes. If you don't like it, just consider what you'd say if I offered you the opportunity to halve your tax bill legally. Would you refuse?

thewilliam
30 Apr 2013 - 9:52 AM

Some years back, a doorstep canvasser from Npower forged my signature on a "change of supplier" contract and it took many weeks of hassle to get things back on track. I was told that I was one of many so Npower has been on our black-list ever since.

The bright side is that they wrote a cheque for my favourite charity so there was some benefit.

mikehit
30 Apr 2013 - 11:01 AM

Of course, avoiding tax means lower overheads which means lower prices. So you could discuss lower energy prices vs lower taxes.

Lower energy prices mean I get to keep the difference. If the energy company paid more taxes, I am pretty sure the government would not give me a lower tax in return because they would find yet another pet project to spend it on.

Hallie
Hallie  1166 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 - 11:10 AM

Quote: If you don't like it, just consider what you'd say if I offered you the opportunity to halve your tax bill legally. Would you refuse?

No, not when wealthy corporations and other persons get it. As it stands I pay full tax and believe they should as well. That probably seems unreasonable to some.

mikehit
30 Apr 2013 - 11:22 AM

Quote: No, not when wealthy corporations and other persons get it.

So you don't have a moral objection then.....but in a warped sort of way it would be their fault because if they didn't do it, you wouldn't. Interesting.

Hallie
30 Apr 2013 - 11:33 AM

Quote: No, not when wealthy corporations and other persons get it.
So you don't have a moral objection then.....but in a warped sort of way it would be their fault because if they didn't do it, you wouldn't. Interesting.

If everyone plays by the same rules I don't have a problem. But you'll likely have some issue with that as well.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 11:54 AM

Quote: If everyone plays by the same rules I don't have a problem. But you'll likely have some issue with that as well

You can play by the same rules. Just get yourself a clued-up tax accountant. Of course, he'll charge you more than he saves you but that's life. Sad

mikehit
30 Apr 2013 - 12:04 PM

Quote: If everyone plays by the same rules I don't have a problem. But you'll likely have some issue with that as well.

Why would you think I have an issue with it? My comment was more that on other threads you talk about a moral obligation to pay tax due to the state, yet if others are doing it you are happy to do the same. Which, of course, is the justification they would use. You may be happy with such ambiguity but the tone of comments on other threads do now seem rather odd.

Hallie
30 Apr 2013 - 12:13 PM

Quote: If everyone plays by the same rules I don't have a problem. But you'll likely have some issue with that as well.

Why would you think I have an issue with it? My comment was more that on other threads you talk about a moral obligation to pay tax due to the state, yet if others are doing it you are happy to do the same. Which, of course, is the justification they would use. You may be happy with such ambiguity but the tone of comments on other threads do now seem rather odd.

I don't know if you just have a total failure to grasp a simple concept or if you're being facetious.

llareggub
llareggub  4698 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 - 12:45 PM

I always get concerned when politicians play the morality card, tax is an act of parliament and both individuals and corporations have a legal obligation to ensure that they meet their tax liabilities. Companies are legal entities and not individuals, expecting a corporation to act within an ethical framework over and above a legal framework is incredibly naive!

The simple truth of the matter is that increasing the complexity of the tax "code" inevitably leads to those with smart accountants being able to reduce their tax liabilities, responsibility for this lies firmly at the feet of the treasury.

Just my tupence worth Smile

User_Removed
30 Apr 2013 - 1:01 PM

I see the treasury is riddled with accountants ON LOAN to help them (the incompetant treasury?) for free from the BIG bean counters! (look'em up) sadly writing in loophole's YOU cant use BUT they can!

you have been had!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.