Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Argghhhhh !

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: op request
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 10:18 PM

Quote: Guess what - I completely ignored his message and didn't bother him again. No skin off my nose.

Exactly and don't let it put you off giving critique Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Feb 2013 - 10:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monkeygrip
24 Feb 2013 - 11:11 PM

Andy I think your rant is justified. There is no photographer on this site above constructive critique but there is no place for comments like nice-ish shot.

Some comments can be read the wrong way due to poor communication skills or the lack of emotion in text I hope that's the case here.

I don't however think skill level matters if the critique is constructive. I had a look through his pf and there is 5 mins of my life I ain't getting back so ignore move on and don't waste energy getting involved.Wink

GlennH
GlennH  91896 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 11:38 PM

Be objective about your own photography and take photos to please yourself. Take criticism or praise at face value, but don't be too readily affected by either. There's no point in being defensive - if you know better than the commentator, or believe you do, or if the comments are clearly absurd, no retort or retaliation is necessary. Vivian Maier took 100,000 photos without any audience; maybe there's something to be learnt from that.

779HOB
779HOB  21004 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Feb 2013 - 7:23 AM

Your hardest critic should be yourself, I can't think of a photo I've taken that I don't think I could have done better on.

If you ever get to the point where you think you are taking perfect photos you have got to comfortable and listened to soft critiques too much.

Last Modified By 779HOB at 25 Feb 2013 - 7:24 AM
franken
franken e2 Member 113060 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 8:49 AM

Quote: Your hardest critic should be yourself, I can't think of a photo I've taken that I don't think I could have done better on.

If you ever get to the point where you think you are taking perfect photos you have got to comfortable and listened to soft critiques too much.

I agree,

Ken

MikeA
MikeA  91153 forum posts England
25 Feb 2013 - 9:46 AM

If you don't want criticism, picky comments etc. do not post images to the site ;Wink)

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5184 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 12:41 PM

Quote: If you don't want criticism, picky comments etc. do not post images to the site ;Wink)

I think thats a bit harsh Mike. People have different sensitivities. Personally I am always looking to learn so frank criticism is something I dont mind. Lots of others dont like their efforts being criticised and I for one wouldnt want to see those people stop uploading.

MikeA
MikeA  91153 forum posts England
25 Feb 2013 - 3:26 PM

Quote: If you don't want criticism, picky comments etc. do not post images to the site ;Wink)

I think thats a bit harsh Mike. People have different sensitivities. Personally I am always looking to learn so frank criticism is something I dont mind. Lots of others dont like their efforts being criticised and I for one wouldnt want to see those people stop uploading.

???

I currently have an image that is getting slated like hell on another site (RPS) that had nothing but praise on here.... that is the way I also learn. :=))

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 3:31 PM

Quote: I currently have an image that is getting slated like hell on another site (RPS) that had nothing but praise on here.... that is the way I also learn.

Everyone is different though Mike and your comment above basically is saying if you don't like it how you think it should be sod off.
Out of interest is the photo you refer to that's getting slated on RPS in the critique gallery on here were it's been flagged as wanting "criticism, picky comments etc"?

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 4:04 PM

Andy, I've just had a look at your PF and I've got to say that there is some cracking stuff in there. There are a lot of 'nice shot' type comments however, these are quite clearly worthless and not constructive criticism, have you sent pm's to all these people and told them not to bother commenting in future?

andypitstop
25 Feb 2013 - 5:04 PM

ok guy's i can see this is gonna run on and on ! i have already said life is to short so lets draw a line under it !! i also stated i was being over sensitive !! i think some of the replies are typical of such forums and should have expected nothing less !! thanks to the guy's who have seen my side of the coin and i appreciate the understanding.sorry to the others who have seen it as petty !!
And to sum up !! Although the general styles of my work don't get a lot of attention in either votes or comments(i know how much you all love motor sport). yes i am very critical of my own work and i am very keen to learn and enjoy comments both good and bad on my work as Pete says that's good for the site and helps us all to learn ! It was just the way i interpreted "nice -ish" as a comment ! along way different in my eyes to "nice shot"
In a strange twist to it all i am getting lots of votes etc since posting this and many people who probably wouldn't look twice at my work have obviously viewed my portfolio.and i am glad to say none of the comments have been bad.....i'm sure someone said no advertising is bad advertising .....
may be a good idea to lock this thread now as it wasn't my intention for it to become a slanging match....and i think we have covered most of the points..keep up the good work.....Andy

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: op request