Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Arrested (well nearly)

21 Apr 2007 10:23PM

Quote:My most recent upload was taken without my being noticed.

WOT! All 6'2" - 15 stone of you????????? Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

C_Daniels 9 399 10 England
21 Apr 2007 10:33PM
I have often wondered as to whether candid photography is considered acceptable - ie people in the street or even pubs just going about their lives in the everyday sort of fasion...
Is it a crime to innocently take candid pictures and upload them without consent or are we doing something wrong...?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
21 Apr 2007 10:33PM

Quote:WOT! All 6'2" - 15 stone of you?????????

Yep - I'm good at blending into the b/g!

;-D

Quote:Is it a crime to innocently take candid pictures and upload them without consent or are we doing something wrong...?

Nope. Nothing wrong at all. Some "middle class consciences" are troubled by it though. That's why the paparazzi tend to come from the chav end of society! Wink
21 Apr 2007 10:46PM
If you happen to photograph the local minister outside the local pub, then I don't advise you to publish it, if he is remotely recognisable in the picture!

Innocently or not!!!

jas
footie 7 17 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 10:36AM
Last year I was questioned under the prevention of terrorism act whilst filming in Parliament square. 5 police officers armed with MP5's (semi automatic machine guns) turned up in a transit van with the blue lights going, and a colleague and I were detained for about 15 minutes and given a piece of paper (telling us why we had been detained) as a consolation prize. I was armed with a BBC press Pass and a Digital Betacam video camera with tripod. The spooks had been watching me and a colleague on CCTV for some time, and I expect there was another spook on foot.

TV filming you never get away with anything, even with a Press Pass (which I have). I think stills photographers get away with far more.. the main problem that these people have is with tripods - they think that anyone witha tripod must be a professional..

The trick we use is to spot the cameras, try to find a blind spot and then get on with it fast, so you have at least something in the can before you get kicked out!
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
23 Apr 2007 1:47PM
As an ex-cop, I can tell you that mobile phones are the worst invention ever.
Nowadays everybody phones (normally 999 because it is free and they don't have to actually look anything up) over the most stupid thing and because everything is taped (and common sense is now banned) they are frightened not to respond in case they get told off.

Common sense and discretion are the two strongest weapons anyone can have.

And never risk 'failing the attitude test' when dealing with the police................you will never win.
Tutterzzz 8 160 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 2:28PM
I've done that before. i was only 8 and thought i was cool cause i had my sisters mobile in my pocket.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Apr 2007 7:38PM

Quote:I was questioned under the prevention of terrorism act whilst filming in Parliament square

There are specific laws about photography/videography in the area surrounding Parliament. It is best to be aware of them!
c_evans99 11 7.0k 1 Wales
23 Apr 2007 8:26PM
If you want to experience a police over reaction try singing 'Calon Lan' in Milan airport... four part harmony cuts no ice with the Carabinieri
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 10:10PM
I was stopped at check in at Bristol by a polite security officer and my photo kit examined for explosives and devices which could be used to create explosions, a little dinky sniffer thing was used.

On the same trip coming back in Madrid the security man did the same but called a (very nice looking) female police officer to assist who called a stern looking male officer to assist. Both stood by me with hands on pistols partly drawn from their holsters.

I think I might have been more concerned with an English cop as they carry automatic weapons and I worry about them getting hiccups.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 11:21PM
I'm afraid it's all part and parcel of being a photographer these days!! As long as you know the law and use it to your advantage then you can generally send the busybodies packing without too much trouble - even the ones wearing police uniforms!!
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
24 Apr 2007 7:10AM
was the person who complained just fed up with having a lens stuck in their face?
sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
24 Apr 2007 11:54AM
No,I never stick lenses in anyones face, I just think people are suspicious, that's all, everyone to their own I guess..
1 May 2007 7:14PM
***my first post*** glad to see that I'm not the only one been nearly arrested in the name of photography. Out one sunday night doing some innocent street photography using traffic and long exposures and a police car pulls up, to officers walk towards me and demand to see my photos and question me under the TERRORISM ACT. I am a skinny, blonde haired music student taking photos in a town where nothing happens. They clearly (and they admited it) had not much else to do. The worrying thing was, they had picked me up on CCTV and made the effort to come and check me out.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
1 May 2007 7:18PM
Could have been worse.
They could have just shot you!
Welcome to ePHOTOzine!
Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.