Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Article on Cloud Based Photoshop

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
15 Jun 2013 7:06PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
15 Jun 2013 7:35PM
Interesting. Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
15 Jun 2013 8:08PM
If you carry on reading down the page there are some good basic tutorials there also.
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2013 10:39AM
Adobe will change what they are doing and offer either Cloud or to be able to purchase the software. Why they have done this is strange. People are purchasers, they do not want leasing or renting. How many people have Photoshop 2/3/4/5? A lot of people are happy with what Photoshop can do on their particular version and don't need the latest gizmo's. I have upgraded every time, but I certainly will not be joining cloud. If Adobe do stick with Cloud only, maybe I will have to look elsewhere. Join Cloud and then when you decide you have had enough, you cannot then make any further adjustments to your images.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
16 Jun 2013 10:29PM
It's interesting that professionals are jumping on the bandwagon against Adobe's move to cloud systems, it being hard enough to make a living at the business without big companies such as Adobe looking for a bigger chunk of profit.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2013 11:12PM
It will be interesting to see if/when there is a turnaround by Adobe at some point, which will only occur if they think they are losing potential revenue by being purely cloud-based.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 9:28AM

Quote:I have upgraded every time,

Does the cloud pricing not make it cheaper for you?
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 10:52AM
I'd like to be able to rent Photoshop for a day, week, month at a time as and when I need it, I wouldn't pay a flat fee each month for it. My main worry with cloud software is for people like me who live in rural areas and internet connections are not great.
17 Jun 2013 1:23PM
Cloud based software just does not add to me. I don't really understand any benefit of uploading 50-150 25Mb RAW images on the cloud - or downloading large program off it every time I have a shooting session. And if I need to do some processing on my laptop during my mountain holiday?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 1:27PM

Quote:or downloading large program off it every time I have a shooting session

You don't need to - once installed it does a simple call back to base once to check that it is still licensed.

Quote:
And if I need to do some processing on my laptop during my mountain holiday?

It only needs access to the web once a month - if you buy a years subscription its every 3 months or so I think.
17 Jun 2013 1:44PM
Ah, I see.. Thanks for the explanation! However, I would rather go with something like "rent to buy" option -as paying 20 bucks a month for say, 10 years equals 2400$ - for that sort of money I could buy the disk version of Photoshop (and an older version would do with me) plus a very nice add-on to my lens collection. In this light Rob Sheppard asks a very reasonable question - do I need the Photoshop? Probably not - unless every image processing software maker gets into this money-pumping scheme Sad With this sort of developments I wonder If we will ever need to register our cameras on the cloud monthly just to keep them working?
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
17 Jun 2013 5:01PM
The cloud idea will work well, I think, for professional designers who use the software day-in and day-out and want every update and enhanced feature as soon as it is available.

For amateur photographers like us, who maybe only use it for a few hours a month (and previously only went for, say, every third upgrade), it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I guess that, over the next year or two, we will see a widening dichotomy between CS and Lightroom, with the latter being aimed at the photographer and being upgraded to more wholly meet post-exposure processing needs.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
17 Jun 2013 8:17PM
Many people, especially photographers who are trying to break into the market, are going to feel that if they don't have it, they will lose a necessary edge against the competition. I think what Rob is pointing out for photographers in his blog is that with Lightroom able to handle more and more of the editing tasks, Elements might be all that's needed for most of us to do the odd job required.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
18 Jun 2013 12:41AM
If your a user of both Lightroom and Photoshop then cloud will more than likely be worth it, there both combined as one app.
KathyT e2
5 8 Ireland
28 Jun 2013 6:05PM
Ive bought photoshop since CS2 and while I fully understand for those in business that cloud is potentially a good idea, I am not in business and use photoshop for my own enjoyment, and believe me I do enjoy it. I firmly am of the opinion that there should be a choice and that in the long run separating those who use adobe in business and those who use if for their own needs, will lead to a loss of revenue for adobe. There is more than enough people using it like I do and those who are thinking of taking up a career in the photographic or graphic industry and who can't afford to 'rent' the creative suite or single software licence. To take away the choice of either staying with the download/disk or opting for cloud is just pure madness.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.