Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Article on MFT v FF- a professional's view

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
elowes
elowes  92830 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 - 11:45 AM

Didn't she she uses a Canon 5DIII?
Didn't she say she uses it at medium RAW? Why? If just to reduce file size I don't see the point as memory is cheap these days.

I was an Olympus OM1 user but changed to Canon (film) as I wanted autofocus (so I thought). I bought a Canon 300D (when I had the money) because I had a couple of (poor quality) lenses.

Now, if I were to change all of my Canon kit the OM D system or something similar would, possibly, be my choice as a replacement just to save weight. Having handled one I think ergonomically they are better than a lumping great Canon.

I still have my OM1 in a small collection of things optical and occasionally get it out to fondle! I may even buy some film one day.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Nov 2013 - 11:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
6 Nov 2013 - 11:46 AM

It is in the nature of competing brands. Everyone tries to grab as much market as possible, no matter how sometimes ridiculously their reasons may sound. Having great camera in micro4/3 class may tempt for biting in markets that possibly were not considered first. Like beginner photographers with full format DSLRs. The article is aimed squarely on them. "Professional camera for Dummies" style.

Interesting though that m4/3 vs APS-C fight become considerably quieter lately. I would commend SONY on that. With their NEX series they have shown that m4/3 is not an only, and possibly not even the best, option for high-grade mirrorless camera. There's a good chance they will put to rest this polemic too. Their new A7 is truly worth watching. In the presence of such intimidating opponent the market of FF DSLR may be closed for m4/3 encroachment very soon.

As for m4/3 being more suitable for some causes than anything else - every camera has it's target use and it's target user. I have DSLRs, superzoom and compact at my disposal. The later one though is at risk of being replaced by m4/3 camera.Wink

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2013 - 12:17 PM

Quote: ...
I thought she made it repeatedly clear that it was her opinion for the way she shoots and what many see as 'advantages' of FF are not relevant to her. She even acknowledges that there are times she would like to use those 'advantages' but they not often enough to lug a full DSLR kit around.

Completely different topic would be camera suitability.
But that's what she is talking about.
There's not a lot of points I would disagree in the blog. It's in the name actually. "Micro Four Thirds vs Full Frame | The Arguments Continue". I have no idea who started this drivel first, but now seems that it was taken on with the advertisement industry. And the blog makes full impression of paid material written exactly in this key. It is interesting that in second part of it the author takes vindicative approach - as noticed by other member above. Almost like they feel need to convince themselves that Oly OM-D is the best option for a physically limited professional. Well, it is - I agree. Nothing better in the weight category at the moment. But giving the article a name that implies it is capable to compete with full frame DSLR ? Too much, isn't it?

I am not sure you read her comments fully - her second article came about from (according to her) quite vitriolic comments made by readers on 'a well-known website' because people could not accept a professional would dare use MFT instead of DSLR for their work. I got the feeling it was exasperation more than vindictiveness. I don't know which websites you visit, but unfortunately this response is all too common (43rumors, DPReview among others): we may call them trolls, but they do engender response from some people.
I consider EPZ to be one of the more forgiving and rational sites for photo discussions but even here, we get loads of inexperienced photographers assuming you need DSLR or FF to be a professional so to call it 'drivel' does a disservice to the less experienced hobbyists who are bombarded/misled with the message 'you need FF' (and not just from paid advertisers). And this 'drivel' did not start with MFT because the same argument has been raging with FF vs APS-C and even went back to medium format vs 35mm when the latter was introduced.

Can MFT compete with FF? yes it can. Of course it can - otherwise Damien McGillicuddy would not use one. But as always, you have to define the arena within which it is competing and I think the article described this quite well.

thewilliam
6 Nov 2013 - 12:37 PM

Full-frame isn't "best" when you compare it to the results from medium-format.

The Leica S2 body is considerably smaller than a Nikon D4 and the Leica has the added advantage of being considerably more expensive.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 6 Nov 2013 - 12:38 PM
MichaelMelb_AU

Quote: ...

Can MFT compete with FF? yes it can. Of course it can - otherwise Damien McGillicuddy would not use one. But as always, you have to define the arena within which it is competing and I think the article described this quite well.

There always will be someone who chose a wrong camera for the works they produce. And full frame DSLR is not immune to these choices. In this light iPhone can compete with FF DSLR - and we saw some people seriously saying just that on this forum. I would not call iPhone a professional instrument though - unless for making work-related calls.

thewilliam
6 Nov 2013 - 8:55 PM

Quote: There always will be someone who chose a wrong camera for the works they produce. And full frame DSLR is not immune to these choices. In this light iPhone can compete with FF DSLR - and we saw some people seriously saying just that on this forum. I would not call iPhone a professional instrument though - unless for making work-related calls.

My good friend Gerry Coe, already an FBIPP, did a Fellowship submission of fine-art prints, all of which had been taken on his mobile phone and they were simply beautiful. Some of his phone images have even ended up on posters.

A photographer of Gerry's ability can produce pictures with just about anything!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 6 Nov 2013 - 8:56 PM
keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2013 - 10:14 PM

Not to take anything away from them but they've had so much manipulation and gunk layering that they could have been taken on any camera produced in the last 70 years. The I- phone tag seems rather misleading to my eyes, other than they have 'that Instagram' feel to them.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.