Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Asian Wedding Photography

backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2010 10:17PM
Hi

I've been asked to quote for wedding photography at an Asian (Pakistani) wedding

I am quite clueless at the moment about the whole ceremony...does anyone know a good reference source for Asian Wedding Photography?

thanks

phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2010 10:45PM
Vinny or Ginz might be able to help?
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2010 7:51PM
If you want to be a real Wedding Photographer you'd better read THIS first Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
4 Feb 2010 8:45PM
done a couple of hindu ones but I think they're a bit different.

guy at work was telling my about his wedding, they had 2 togs, one for each half of the couple, because there's a story to both of their activities up to the ceremony.

quite involved, but a great experience I bet - I loved the hindu ones
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 1:02PM
Now that's funny cathy...

Cheers Ade

Phil
irishman 10 1.1k 2 Ireland
5 Feb 2010 1:57PM

Quote:If you want to be a real Wedding Photographer you'd better read THIS first
Very good, well worth reading Smile lol
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 3:35PM
If it's anything like my neighbours wedding, you'll need real stamina! There is a 4 day party for the bride before the wedding at her family home and also the same for the groom at his, so some pretty hard partying going on., which includes, eating, drinking, and a ladies evening having the henna tattoos painted on, then the older ladies of the family get together to sing insults to each other, very good natured and very funny if you have a translator, there is also the family gift giving. Then the wedding day, which is a whole day and then a party the day after. I was invited to the whole thing and was exhausted! We had taken down the fence between our houses so we could use our garden for the party as well as theirs, which made for an extra ceremony to bless my house as well.
The families also had a dance off before the wedding Smile
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 6:59PM
been to quite a few as a quest, but there are many varients, so lots of chatting to the client will be required. I'd also expect a videographer so you will both have 2 work together.
As mentioned some go on a long time, some have seperate male/female areas. Some have a registey section elsewhere. One had about 2000 guests, so traditional english group shots impossible.
Garland exchanges instead of rings some times. Older relitives wanting formal shots. Some brides behind groom in some parts of wedding so depth of feild hard. Lots of colour, some parts very informal and crowded. Lighting venue may need extra 1/3 exposure comp. The brides saree dress is a major major photo.
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
5 Feb 2010 10:33PM
I've read some REAL horror stories about people doing Asian weddings and mucking it up. One girl up here is being hounded by the Asian family through the courts for compensation based on what she "should" have covered against what she "actually" covered...
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2010 1:19PM
Hi backbeat

For some more hints on what to ask the client and the wedding venue arrangers see this link Wikipedia
Also there may me gifts and sweets given to bestow a blessing, you may want to shoot some of these.
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2010 7:54PM
thanks all...i'm starting to think maybe this is for someone who has more experience than me!

phil
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2010 9:37PM
If you do back out, maybe ask your friend if you can at least be an associate photographer to get the experiance. It will still be a great opportunity to enjoy a great day and looking at the vast array of great shots you have on this site you will get some fab photos. You've got the kit, some amazing photo styles and lots of them.
I recently got volunteered into an indian charity song and dance evening photo gig for about 700 people & friends, i've only got a 400d and mostly used a 50mm f1.8 that night - i had a great time and got plenty of OK shots for a news letter or web page. My portfolio sucks compared to yours.
You would produce great work that should end up in the main photo albumn, talk with them some more to get their expectations AND reduce your concerns - can a studio are be set aside for all the key family groupings to tick off a large part of the required shots.

I'm looking at your web site now - "Digital tog of the year 2009" Why would you not do this event - your stuff is great and i'm way envious.
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
7 Feb 2010 4:09PM

Quote:I've read some REAL horror stories about people doing Asian weddings and mucking it up. One girl up here is being hounded by the Asian family through the courts for compensation based on what she "should" have covered against what she "actually" covered...

This happened with my mate actually - there are parts of the story missing and he's not a happy bunny at all.

NOt sure if he's doing anything "legally" about it though.

You do need to spend a bit of time with the couple going over what the important bits are as they are obviously different to christian type weddings - I was there at 7AM shooting the bride getting cleansed with leaves and tumeric..... that was different.

Then, when she left the house, they ran over a coconut in the car!

Lots of small parts like that you need to be aware of really.

Truth is, if you just stick with them as much as you can, you'll be fine.

I actually spent most of one wedding with the groom and family - set up some lights and did studio-type portraits for a while, that kind of thing. They really liked those.

At 10PM I put the camera away... so a long long long shoot.
Jay44 8 1.4k Wales
7 Feb 2010 6:56PM
I photographed one Asian wedding during my time as a Wedding Photographer, and the hassle I received afterwards made me vow never to photograph another one, and I didn't!
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2010 9:58PM
Thanks for that, some good advice there...

Stuart...thanks for the compliments about my PF etc, but i've no experience doing weddings at all, and i've no doubt that i have so much to learn..i might even hate the whole process! As with many togs, i feel i've reached the stage where i want to try and turn semi-pro, but i'm very 'wet behind the ears' when it comes to the business side of photography.

You noticed that i did win a POTY comp in a magazine last year, but the only reason i put that on my website is as a marketing tool to try and attract customers...i wouldn't normally mention it at all!

Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.