Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Asked to do a wedding . . . .

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 - 12:08 PM

Asked by a friend of a friend to shoot their wedding . . . . . and I said 'no way - get a pro to do it!!' First time I have been asked mind you!! They even offered a decent rate, which I could really use at the moment.

Maybe one day . . . .

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Apr 2013 - 12:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 12:19 PM

You already cover award evenings etc......do it.

Alan1297
Alan1297 e2 Member 1Alan1297 vcard England
9 Apr 2013 - 12:24 PM

I used to do Weddings as a semi-pro about 25 years ago. Very stressful indeed. And I don't/won't do it now.
It's really a case of knowing what the couple want & expect.
Getting a good look around the wedding venue & reception.
Draw up a picture list, together with the couple. Then try & stick to it.
Remember to include some arty & romantic shots of the bride & the groom. (I used to visit each in their respective homes/hotels).
I recall I never actually enjoyed the day. I was panicking at the developers, hoping that I'd got a good set of images. I used to relax at the reception, after the couple & immediate family had viewed the proof shots. then I'd have a very long drink.
Now with digital you can take lots of images & get a quick indication of weather the shots are coming out under/over exposed.
I would never say it was fun though. Nor would I recommend doing a friends wedding.

Nigeyboy
9 Apr 2013 - 12:33 PM

No - not for me at the moment. Its a one time event - don't think I could take the pressure!!! Award evenings and parties are a little different to a wedding Keith!!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nah - admittedly there are fewer smiles but you know how to shoot in low light, use a flash and you've obviously been to a wedding and onw a suit.

scottishphototours

Easiest way to lose a friend is to screw up their wedding pics...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 12:49 PM

Even I'm doing one in July, and using my little M4/3 equipment too (shock, horror etc). Wink

I don't expect to enjoy it.......... but you never know until you've tried. You obviously enjoy photography which involves working with people, Nigel. I don't particularly. So you have a big advantage.

Nigeyboy

Quote: but you know how to shoot in low light, use a flash and you've obviously been to a wedding and onw a suit.

Yeah - I own a socket set too, but that doesn't make me a mechanic!!!! Wink

keithh

Eveybody has to start somewhere. Dont fall into the the great Wedding Photography myth.

Last Modified By keithh at 9 Apr 2013 - 12:56 PM
Newdevonian
9 Apr 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's less about photography, more about crowd control!
I'm ducking now! Grin

Nigeyboy
9 Apr 2013 - 12:56 PM

I hear you Keith - all the wedding photographers on here had to break their duck I suppose!! If I did decide to go down that route, I think I would choose to be a second shooter or something like that first. I am more than confident with the kit that I have (currently just a gripped 400D, Sigma 17-70mm and a Nissin Di622 flash).

Looking at upgrading when I can get some cash together to a 2nd hand 40D (the 400D struggles to focus in low light) and I really like the look of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8!!

Last Modified By Nigeyboy at 9 Apr 2013 - 12:57 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014787 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 12:57 PM

weddings are like playing gigs

if you "think" too much, you're f**ked

just go with the flow...

keithh
9 Apr 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just in case you need to read something

Wink

Bevlad
Bevlad  1 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 - 1:01 PM

Me and a friend have done a couple of weddings for our friends and didnt find it too bad.
You can take a load of pressure off by doing it for free and just look at it as a tester for you.
It really helps having a second photographer there who can get informal shots while you are doing the group shots, being able to cover both sides of the church is really handy especially if you find yourself in an not so good angle at a critical time.
It also helps at the reception with the speeches and the first dance being able to cover 2 angles.
You need someone there to drag people out of the bar for the group shots, no one seems to want to be in them.
I dont know how much processing you do for Award evenings and parties but it took me 2 weeks (2 hours an evening, 1200 pictures) to get them all how I liked them, but you could obviously do that a lot quicker if you just process the top 500

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014787 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2013 - 1:05 PM

Quote: Just in case you need to read something

Wink

been a while since I last read that... essential reading for all prospective wedding togs... Wink

love the bit about back-up kit... Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.