Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Asking Photium users...

maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
22 Jan 2009 10:08AM
hi,
ive just taken the 30day offer, and i must say i really am enjoying putting together my website and will be signing up for a package.
im only 2 days into the offer....and i just wondered how long other users found before peeps started clicking onto their site?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Jan 2009 10:13AM
Well there is a Category within this forum under Off-Topic>Website Showcase for you to let members know of your site and the best way to initially generate visitors is to have your site linked from other sites and to make sure that it can be found by people Googling specific terms that relate to your site.

The Photium site has some very good information on getting your website noticed and on correct tagging etc.
22 Jan 2009 10:20AM
Certainly follow Keith's advice and the Photium guidelines, but from my own experience you really do need to put a lot of effort into marketing your site and letting as many people as possible know of it's existence. This is something I've not done as I just have'nt got the time or even commitment at the moment, and traffic to my site is very low. You can't just sit back and expect the world to beat a path to your door.
22 Jan 2009 10:29AM
I'm in the process of setting up a Photium site and will recommend posting the details in the Website Showcase forum as I have had some extremely useful feedback from there.

I also set up the Google Analytics on the site to get instantly available stats on the number of visits and where they have come from. while it won't generate visits it helps you understand your main soruces of traffic, as well as how long they have stayed on the site.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
22 Jan 2009 10:31AM

Quote:You can't just sit back and expect the world to beat a path to your door.

Certainly not with the type of site you will be creating - ie photography with a general subject such as landscape or wildlife as these kind of keywords are used by millions. If you had a site on for example, black & white infrared shots of badgers that would narrow down the number of sites with those keywords, and yours might stand a chance of getting to the top of Google. it's also unlikely people will search for your name (unless you are well know) which could be the most unique aspect. So as Keith and Dave have said that's why you need to promote (without spamming) on as many sites as you can.

A good start is that you probably have a link from your portfolio page on our site, also join social network sites like Facebook and addyourface and include a link there. Links from high page ranking sites like ours make a big difference because these are considered in the Google algorithm.
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
22 Jan 2009 10:38AM
oh ok, thats been helpful already Smile
im not hugely knowledgeable about these things and its been alot to take in, however if you dont ask you'll not find out, and everybody has to start somewhere, so thanks Smile

much appreciated
maggie
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
22 Jan 2009 1:41PM

Quote:it's also unlikely people will search for your name (unless you are well know)

I beg to differ, Pete. I find that my name, and variants of it, are the most popular search terms for finding my site. No idea why.

Than again, perhaps I'm more well-known than I thought? Wink
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
22 Jan 2009 2:00PM
is that famous or infamous Jools? Wink
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2009 2:07PM
Same with me, just checked google analytics for the past year and the most popular search is my web site name, then my name & then other variants & cycling references.
I do get alot of views on my site, but I do advertise it a fair bit at cycle races and also on cycling forums, one particularly use my photographs as a border, each one linking to my site, which provides a really significant lift to the views and is a great free advert.
22 Jan 2009 2:08PM
I think I'll change my name by deed poll to "Jools Urwin" .... will that get more traffic to my website?
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
22 Jan 2009 2:34PM

Quote:will that get more traffic to my website?

No idea. But it's got to be worth a try! Grin Grin
PWhittle 8 176 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2009 3:08PM

Quote:Hi,
ive just taken the 30day offer, and i must say i really am enjoying putting together my website and will be signing up for a package.
im only 2 days into the offer....and i just wondered how long other users found before peeps started clicking onto their site?

Business Likn to a free workshop on search engine optomisation, which is run by a local Adwords consultant (up here anyway).
And you get a bacon butty!
csurry 12 9.2k 92
22 Jan 2009 3:20PM

Quote:Quote:it's also unlikely people will search for your name.

I find that my name, and variants of it, are the most popular search terms for finding my site. No idea why.

Than again, perhaps I'm more well-known than I thought?

Or perhaps there is a more well known person of your name and they find your site and exit after seeing the first photo Tongue

Hee hee feeling mischievious this afternoon - let's wind up jools
pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2009 3:22PM
Your site visits went up from 24 to 31 in the few minutes I was looking so I guess this way is as good as any.Smile
22 Jan 2009 3:38PM
Hi Maggie

One other thought, do you have a domain name registered yet ?? If not it might be worth doing, www.maggie9.co.uk is still available.

Will at Photium can then help you set up the site to use the domain name and in place of the Photium address.

Olly

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.