Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Assault sentencing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
1 Sep 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hello everyone,
Just a query in case there is anyone on here with experience of such things ( like policepersons or what have you ).
I got assaulted in my house on Saturday, which left me very bruised and swollen ( no broken face bones or anything though ), and then the guy came back later obviously looking for more...I don't want to go into the minute details of the event, but suffice it to say that it was completely unprovoked ( I was in my bathroom brushing my teeth ).
The police are going to arrest him initially on charges of assault and criminal damage ( he kicked in my front door ).
I am assuming that this is his first offence, so was wondering what sort of sentence he could get ? I had a look on the internet about it and it seems like anything from a fine to 12-36 weeks in the nick.
Any thoughts appreciated for my peace of mind...I obviously want him to pay for what he has done.
Thanks all....

Nik

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2008 - 11:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BubbaG2000
1 Sep 2008 - 11:07 AM

I'm sorry to hear that! Did you know the guy?
Just remember, they should add housebreaking to the charge aswell. Unfortunately they don't get the sentence you expect. Remember though, that any sentence dished out is almost guaranteed to be halved. Yes, I hate it too.

Hope you're ok and (easier said than done) don't let some little turd affect your life in any adverse way.

crazycucumber
1 Sep 2008 - 11:11 AM

Few years back , a person slashed the tyres on my car and several down my street, when confronted he also sliced my neck. Got caught, pleaded guilty to ABH, got a 200 fine , we got paid at about 3.41 per week. No mention of all the other things he did as he pleaded guilty to the one charge. What a farce.

NikLG
1 Sep 2008 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, I know him. Can't do him for B and E unfortunately.
I hope that he gets what's coming to him, but I guess it looks like I can expect him not too.

I am not too bad now. Swelling has gone down a bit, my eyes are starting to blacken though...

Cheers for the messages.

Nik

BubbaG2000
1 Sep 2008 - 11:25 AM

3.41 a week? That's not even a pint in most pubs!

My ex was a cop. She was sick and tired of arresting the same people numerous times every week and it started to get her down. Obviously at the end of the day, they get a paycheck and can't let it bother them. It sure is different for the victims.

NikLG
1 Sep 2008 - 11:33 AM

On a related note, my boss knows his boss so may well tell them what he has done. What do you think their ( hie employers ) policy would be towards a member of their staff being arrested / convicted of assault ? Are they within their rights to sack him on the spot ? I ( and he ) work in the games industry, in different companies in the same town, so a lot of people know each other. It's only a matter of time before they know what he has done.

Cheers
Nik

BubbaG2000
1 Sep 2008 - 12:17 PM

It is entirely down to his employer, but you're right, it does not look good to have a fool like that working for your company!

ripleysalien
1 Sep 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hope your feeling ok now Nik, dont know what I would do to be honest, he sounds like he has a screw loose to me, stay well clear mate and if he comes calling again, tell police right away.
Must be horrible.

Steve

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 12:44 PM

Argos sell baseball bats. Perhaps you might like to, er, take up the game Nik? Wink

Certainly would let his employer know, maybe indirectly via your boss or whatever.

NikLG
1 Sep 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks guys. I think I might mention to my boss that maybe his bosses could do with knowing about it. It's not like it's a secret or anything.
I think I will give the baseball bat a miss...never really liked it as a sport Smile though seriously, hitting people is not in my make-up. Even when he was battering me I thought 'Don't hit him back.' I was strangely lucid and calm throughout...and it's not like I am a little wimpy guy or anything. I am not big, but I am strong enough to handle myself. I did manage to hold him away from me while he was trying to hit me ( by his wrists ) and remember thinking 'oh, you are stronger than you thought...'
All a bit weird when I think back....

Cheers
Nik

GotYou
GotYou  6110 forum posts
1 Sep 2008 - 1:40 PM

Say nothing until the law takes its course. IF he gets off, and he can prove that you have lost him his job or you have defarmated his character, you yourself could be in trouble with the courts.

Dont and insult to injury.

Mark

BubbaG2000
1 Sep 2008 - 1:40 PM

Quote: hitting people is not in my make-up....and it's not like I am a little wimpy guy or anything...

Nope, just human! If you can quite happily hit someone (or even shoot them) in the face then you will make up that wee percentage of us they call "psychopaths". Unfortunately a wee percentage of our population is still a lot of people!

Besides, if this ever goes to court, you'll be glad you never hit him. Victims of crime seem to get a raw deal in court these days!

NikLG
1 Sep 2008 - 2:13 PM

I hope the law doesn't turn out to be an ass then.
My boss is going to look into any legal implications re. speaking to his bosses before he does anything, which is probably just as well.
But like I said before, the games industry is very small, even more so locally so they will probably know what he has done before the week is out and then it's their call I suppose.

doug_7
doug_7  8482 forum posts England
1 Sep 2008 - 2:27 PM

Quote: was wondering what sort of sentence he could get ?
Nik

Sorry to hear of your plight Nik, in this day and age they will probably send him on holiday or give him a gaming device to play with.
The law is a joke on crimes like this, my lad was confronted with a loopy who jumped onto the bonnet of his car and smashed his windscreen. Someone took a picture on their phone so the law interviewed him but refused to take it to CPS.
Move on but be careful......d.

Lou_C
Lou_C  7755 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2008 - 2:35 PM

I work in the courts, and asking what sentence someone is likely to get is, unfortunately, like asking how long is a piece of string.

If its a first offence it would be extremely doubtful that he'd get a custodial sentence, if found guilty. But then I've seen vicious attacks get fines and community service, and comparatively mild assaults result in custody.

Last Modified By Lou_C at 1 Sep 2008 - 2:35 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.