Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

At what point does image theft become ok?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 2:51 PM

We often have threads about people nicking photos. I just wonder when nicking a photo becomes acceptable? I see on Facebook that someone started an idea to switch your profile face for a famous doppelganger . Several of my friends in the industry, who regularly write about copyright protection, and a few members of ePHOTOzine have jumped on this, because it's a fun idea. But the copyright of the image belongs to someone else.
I'm not having a go, I just thought it would be an interesting point to discuss.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Feb 2010 - 2:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:09 PM

It crossed my mind when I changed my facebook image. I got the image from a site that provides images for myspace, facebook, fan sites. It only crossed my mind because of the photographic background.

I'm sure for the majority of people using celebrity images that they don't give it a second thought.

When you use google image search and see the same image repeated over and over again on many sites, it's easy to think it's free for you to use.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:19 PM

Quote: When you use google image search and see the same image repeated over and over again on many sites, it's easy to think it's free for you to use.

Another thought...my kids, when doing home work, are told by the teachers to use the internet as research and use pictures they find to illustrate the work. They are being brought up to not give not a second thought.

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:33 PM

er, guilty as charged. I have to say it never even crossed my mind.

Last Modified By fraser at 5 Feb 2010 - 3:33 PM
DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  61432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:41 PM

For me it all depends on what the picture is to be used for.

If the picture is purely for fun and is not going outside of your family circle and friends and you are honest about the origins of the image then it is probably OK. But if the picture is for serious consumption by a much wider audience such as epz or is to be used in competitions or exhibitions then it is totally unacceptable to use even a part of another persons picture. Even if you are honest in these situations it is not your work that you are presenting and it should and will be judged accordingly.

I wonder, however, where we stand with the borders, backgrounds and tints etc. that are given away by the photo mags.

Last Modified By DOGSBODY at 5 Feb 2010 - 3:42 PM
SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:42 PM

It is becoming commonplace but hey we have all been doing similar things for years. I used to be one of those people who taped songs from the Top 40 on Radio 1 as a kid.
I use flickr but have recently become concerned about the abuse my images could be open to on their site. The internet is great for exposure but also a risk as well but then look at how many pro photographers have web sites. Just have to live with it I guess.

Xiaoli
Xiaoli  6661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:43 PM

Yeah but there is a problem with images in the news - there is a 'fair use' clause in the copyright law certainly in the USA and Canada - not sure what the situation is in the UK but it' s probably the same where you can re-use images and content from the news for education, for the purposes of review and well to just repeat the news. Which is why you get the same news and photos repeated on 10 0000 sites. So in the instance of school reports so long as the source is attributed it is not regarded as copyright theft.

Pete
5 Feb 2010 - 3:43 PM

Quote: I wonder, however, where we stand with the borders, backgrounds and tints etc. that are given away by the photo mags.

Usually they have been created by the team who work for the magazine so copyright belongs to the publisher, who usually state their terms on the CD or web site when the freebies are made available.

Last Modified By Pete at 5 Feb 2010 - 3:44 PM
DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  61432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 3:53 PM

Quote: Quote: Usually they have been created by the team who work for the magazine so copyright belongs to the publisher, who usually state their terms on the CD or web site when the freebies are made available.

Yes, I accept that, but they are still not your own work, so is it acceptable to use them in one of your own images that is going into a competition, for instance?

MikeA
MikeA  91176 forum posts England
5 Feb 2010 - 4:01 PM

Quote: At what point does image theft become ok?

When you have got away with it Wink

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 4:30 PM

hehe Mike - I thought that applied to digital manipulation ..

I use pics for some of my online articles if I don't have images of my own. I only use pics that have been released for all commercial use or are in the public domain or that have licenses for commercial use. I also credit the photographer with their name and the link, and send them a note of thanks with a link to the article. Anything else would be presumptuous, and at worst, theft.

I don't think it's OK to just take.

It's unsettling to hear so many people say they'll just go and get a pic from the net; I met someone who was happy to take pics off the net because it was for educational or private use, but the end product was going on line and this person didn't think it should matter. I think it does, even if only to respect the work of the photographer or the copyright owner.

/drone drone

Wink

Pete
5 Feb 2010 - 4:34 PM

Quote: /drone drone

ha...do you mind if I pinch this...I often think that when I'm reaching the end of one of my forum posts lol

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 4:37 PM

Hmmm ... whose need is greater. I can license it if you like .. snigger

8-]

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 - 4:44 PM

Re: the kids - I thought copyright rules were relaxed for educational purposes ?

keith selmes
5 Feb 2010 - 4:50 PM

I don't see a problem with school homework.
Its educational non profit not being published.
However I'd hope the curriculum includes explaining what they're allowed to do with content and what not.

I'm really not sure of the legality in educational use, but in any case there are probably going to be changes as the digital economy bill is trudging through parliament.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.