Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Attempting to design a website via foliopic

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MichaelTuska
20 Jan 2010 - 2:38 PM

I dont know wether its me or what ,but ,trying to design a website via the latest foliopic invitation to a free trial, is all but easy. I've given up!
Ok' managed to get a name for the website, but surely to insert all your details eg name address numbers etc etc and upload animage should be staight forward and easy step by step to follow.
How do youPLACE text logo etc etc its beyond me and I thought i'd got an intelligenc above average. You need a degree in IT and computer science as far as I'm concerened.
Ah well, back to 'flickr'

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jan 2010 - 2:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Jan 2010 - 3:02 PM

i found it pretty easy myself, certainly much much easier to do than Clickpic who my site was previously with. Had mine up and running in around half an hour

rgds
Dave

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
20 Jan 2010 - 3:15 PM

Quote: I dont know wether its me or what ,but ,trying to design a website via the latest foliopic invitation to a free trial, is all but easy. I've given up!
Ok' managed to get a name for the website, but surely to insert all your details eg name address numbers etc etc and upload animage should be staight forward and easy step by step to follow.
How do youPLACE text logo etc etc its beyond me and I thought i'd got an intelligenc above average. You need a degree in IT and computer science as far as I'm concerened.

I know exactly what you are saying Michael...I've given up too.
...like a lot of things in life, if you can do it, you can do it...but if you can't....
Like you I managed to get a name in and that was it.
Just where are the instructions that make it easy ???

....Mike

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2010 - 3:23 PM

Did you check the Quick Start Guide? And FAQ section?
Or if these didn't provide answers ask the questions and we'll answer here. We aim to please Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2010 - 4:06 PM

TBF, the quick start guide isn't really that useful for newbie, Pete.
Even though it isn't rocket science to use Foliopic, but it is still quite a daunting task for someone never try building a website before.
Maybe you need to push the video tutorials forward, Pete.

Clactonian
Clactonian e2 Member 887 forum postsClactonian vcard United Kingdom
20 Jan 2010 - 4:13 PM

Try Zenfolio

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
20 Jan 2010 - 4:55 PM

Quote: Even though it isn't rocket science to use Foliopic, but it is still quite a daunting task for someone never try building a website before.

...A neighbour had stripped down the engine from a Mercedes sports car, a zillion bits were laid out on a long bench in his garage.

Even if all the parts were numbered, which they weren't, it would be an impossible task re-assembling it.

"How are you ever 'gonna get it back together ? " I asked
...."easy"....he replied.

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 8:10 PM

I hate to be negative, but I'm finding it difficult too! I'm pretty stumped on getting the layout of the homepage - I don't really get the 'dragging blocks around' in the homepage editor. Is it possible to have a photo on the home page? In the editor block it only seems to allow text editing? The rest seems quite logical, apart from uploading photos. Why do you have to upload them then allocate an album? Why can't you just upload them straight to the album?

Thanks,
Geraint

Geraint
21 Jan 2010 - 8:20 PM

I'm trying to use 2 blocks on the homepage - one with the welcome note and another beneath it for a photo. The only way I can see that I can do this is by dragging the slideshow block beneath the welcome one. But how do I get photos in the slideshow? I may be overcomplicating things. Or completely missing something really obvious...

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 8:23 PM

Quote: Is it possible to have a photo on the home page?

Well you could create a slideshow of one picture. Otherwise I don't think that is a built in option.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 8:24 PM

Once you've set a layout...any of those options you have areas that you can add blocks. You can add as many blocks as you like to any area of the layout. The blocks can be arranged in order. All really nice drag and drop. Then you click the pencil icon to edit that block.

For the slide show you need to create a slide show of photos from the slide show page...then assign that slideshow to the slideshow block that you drag into the page layout area.

I'll be around to help if you get stuck.

Last Modified By Pete at 21 Jan 2010 - 8:25 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 8:24 PM

You have to add photos and set up the slideshow in Gallery/Photo page.

....Too late

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 21 Jan 2010 - 8:25 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 8:25 PM

Quote: But how do I get photos in the slideshow?

Go to Galleries>Slideshow & create the slide show. Now you can pick that for the homepage.

Geraint
21 Jan 2010 - 8:33 PM

Thanks all. I'll keep tinkering! I really want it to work, so not trying to be negative...

Geraint
21 Jan 2010 - 8:39 PM

Ok. Got that to work. Got 1 photo in the slideshow. But every time the home page reloads the photo reloads and text appears saying "completed" (which I guess is the completion of teh slideshow). Is it possible just to have a photo on the homepage?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.