Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Audio flashgun trigger

jonwebber e2
6 4 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2009 5:01PM
This sounds daft. I want to photograph a guitar (mandolin, cittern, harp) string just after the finger or plectrum has left it. The twang, if you like. I've tried the movie mode on an Olympus SP560 etc and that is not good enough. Manually pressing the shutter release does not seem likely to work, mirror lag on my Canon may be predictable but I do not know how, so I thought a strum, into a microphone through some sort of black box . . .
Thanks for reading this far

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sdb e2
7 110 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2009 5:33PM
Sounds like your looking for a sound trigger. I've used one in the past to photograph balloons bursting where the bang of the balloon bursting triggers the flash.

The best I've seen is a kit available from the US priced around $12 - do a Google for "sound trigger" and you'll soon find the site. I've been tempted to buy the kit in but a lack of knowledge of electronics has put me off.

Anyone else know if a ready-made trigger can be brought anywhere?
jonwebber e2
6 4 1 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2009 9:11AM
Thanks for that, I will start looking.
jon
cannyman e2
6 123
8 Nov 2009 8:38AM
I think the kit mentioned is a bit of a bummer. It uses a piezo buzzer for a microphone. A balloon bursting may trigger the flash, but for high sensitivity work its a non starter. Look at my gallery and you will see 2 shots taken with my trigger. It is so sensitive heavy breathing will trigger it. Of course it is adjustable.
cannyman e2
6 123
8 Nov 2009 10:44AM
The trigger I use, goes back a long way. I first saw it a long time ago, long before digital . It was what started me designing gadgets for photo work. I could send you the circuit etc if you are ok with electronics.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.