Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Audio Sync problem Canon 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    triglyph
    triglyph  1
    15 Oct 2012 - 5:48 AM

Shooting interviews with a 7D. I use a Zoom H4N, Sennheiser wireless and/or a boom with short shotgun. External audio works fine. Trouble is when I use either FCP X or PluralEyes to sync, it is always two frames out of sync. I've done many tests and the problem turned out to be the original camera audio: it is consistently and always out of sync right from the start; in other words it is not a "drift" problem.

I've read many posts in various forums about people having this problem, but have read no solutions. Many of the replies to this requests for help are the usual snarky internet answers: things like "Well, what do you expect from a camera that only costs $2,000?" Bad enough that they have nothing of value to offer the original poster, this kind of thinking is beside the point. Doesn't matter how much a camera costs are whether or not is is truly "pro" any device that records video and audio together should record them in sync. Other typical internet non-helpful snarky answers are along the lines "Back in my day, we used to do it with slates made out of caribou bones, kid." and similar nonsense.

For the tests I have used clapstick slates, timecode slates and countdown video clips and well as people talking.

Canon 7D with the latest updated firmware (2.03). Tests done both at 24fps and 30fps. Test views in EOS Utility, Quicktime Player, Soundtrack Pro VLC, PluralEyes 3.0 and Final Cut Pro X. Test footage viewed both with and without any transcoding (mostly without). Mac Pro tower with Lion. Internal audio on Manual.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Oct 2012 - 5:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sausage
    sausage  10242 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Oct 2012 - 8:26 AM

Are you saying it is 2 frames out of sync all the time? If so could you not shift the audio 2 frames for a quick solution?

Other than that, if it is a 'feature' then you may be stuck with it. Sorry I do not use the Canon or FCP.

Buchephalus
    15 Oct 2012 - 8:33 AM

Have you tried recording with MagicLantern loaded on the camera? Here http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/104-releases/140-first-7d-alpha-released. Just a thoughtSmile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.