Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights. Nikon D60 Setup?

8 Feb 2009 6:56PM
Hello all,
I'm lucky enough to be going to Norway next week to see the Northern Lights Smile

Being a complete novice (and within 12 months - advanced) I'm looking for some advice on how to best setup my D60 to take pictures of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). I've searched Google and can't seem to find any information/advice.

My equipment:
Nikon D60 SLR
18-55 VR Lens
Tripod
Cable Releaser
2 X Batteries

I'm hoping to get some suggestions and hopefully the comments/advice may be picked up in Google for others to follow in future.

Thanks,

William (UK)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Slippery_Jim 6 597 England
8 Feb 2009 7:06PM
Have a look here , some of the photographers have stated their shooting set up
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
8 Feb 2009 7:08PM
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 10:37PM
I didn't think it was a good time for the aurora as there's not much solar activity at the moment. Check Amazon, there was a book on photographing the aurora.

Jo
Hugeknot 9 1.2k 2 Iceland
8 Feb 2009 10:57PM
Hi
set up sturdy tripod, and have a remote shutter (cable). Use the largest aperture possible.

If you can just about see the aurora, but you are not too sure, try a 60sec exposure with 400iso.

If you can see it through your view finder reduce the time to 30 secs.

If it casts a shadow use something like 5-15 seconds.

Be sure to bracket and don't rely on your viewfinder as this will appear brighter than it really is.

You might want to try auto exposure!

The aurora has been strangely quiet for the last three months, but it is starting to come back... have a good trip and good luck!

I have a better guide, plus links on my website .
CaptivePixels 6 343 2 Scotland
9 Feb 2009 12:51AM
Aurora Watch website for those of us who aren't lucky enough to be getting closer to it.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
9 Feb 2009 1:51AM
Did you know that you can actually hear it. We were fishing in June, 1979, and we were staying in a friend's cabin at least 35 miles from any town, and went outside to wring out a kidney at about midnight, and the lights were at there brightest I've ever seen them from the ground. They would swoop down very low, it seemed just over our heads, and you could hear a sort of swishing sound as they flashed and moved. (No, it wasn't someone pi**ing!) Standing there, in the middle of the wilderness, with a rye and water in my hand, is a memory I'll never forget.
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
9 Feb 2009 2:46AM
Spaceweather.com is a good site.

My advice, get another battery.

A torch that you can fit a red filter on the front to help you see without destroying your nightsight.

Good gloves Smile

BTW there a comet up there the now, might be visible to the eye by the end of the month... Green trail on it apparently.

Lens wise, if you can borrow beg or steal, something a bit wider 10-20 sigma or along that line. Your lens is ok for a kit lens but if you can afford a better bit of glass you wont regret it in the long run.

Enjoy, Im jealous Smile

BTW shot wise, try and find as good a foreground as you can and post up the results on here, love to see them...

Tommy
Hugeknot 9 1.2k 2 Iceland
9 Feb 2009 8:16AM
The Geophysical institute has a good aurora forecast.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.