Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

aurora help please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    claydon59
    claydon59  8
    10 Dec 2012 - 8:44 PM

Planning to visit norway to try to see the aurora, can anyone recommend what lense to use with my nikon d90 all other advise welcome too.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Dec 2012 - 8:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2012 - 8:50 PM

Do a Google search for photographing the Northern Lights. It should turn up tonnes of info from experts.

mgts24
    mgts24  3 United Kingdom
    10 Dec 2012 - 9:06 PM

The faster the better. Often the aurora are not terribly bright, so if your lens has a small maximum aperture, you will have to use a relatively long exposure, and then the movement of the aurora will be blurred, and you will lose a lot of the detail. You can compensate with high ASA, but then the higher noise level will mask the sublety of the colours. It is a tough balancing act.

User_Removed
    10 Dec 2012 - 10:40 PM

Don't know about Norway but I photographed the Aurora Borealis in Scotland, Iceland and Canada. With modern equipment a fairly wide lens is best. On your D90, an 18-200mm (either Sigma or Nikkor) is a great all-round travel lens and, at the wider end, great for Aurora shots. (I used a 28-300 Nikkor on my FX Nikon in Iceland a few weeks ago and it was ideal.)

Obviously shoot in Manual exposure and Manual Focus. For starters try ISO 800, f/5.6 and 12 seconds and then play it by ear. Try not to go longer than 12 seconds or the stars will start to "trail". Also try to get some interesting foreground features into the shot (even a tree in silhouette is better than nothing) as bland shots of the sky alone are very boring.

Enjoy your trip. I take it you have an Aurora forecast app on your phone as there is little point freezing your bollocks off at midnight if there is no activity. Generally they can forecast three days ahead (the length of time it takes for the particles to arrive from the sun following solar activity).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Dec 2012 - 10:42 PM
    User_Removed
    11 Dec 2012 - 9:56 AM

...should have added to above: Don't be tempted to use Long Exposure Noise Reduction. For some reason, which I haven't worked out, it makes a real mess of Aurora shots as well as doubling the time taken for each exposure).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.