Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Auschwitz-Birkenau, then and now

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 10:50 AM

In pictures: Auschwitz-Birkenau, then and now

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Feb 2012 - 10:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the link - fascinating, moving, shocking, all at once.

mikehit
    mikehit  56472 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thast is a really powerful set of photographs. It humanises a monument many wish was not there (and not needed).

scartlane
    scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2012 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the link,
    Really interesting place!
    I know its morbid and alot of shocking stuff happened there, but im really looking forward to visiting there later this year.
    Its such a massive part of history and to experience the place will be an honour

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 12:15 PM

It is a really sad place, Adam.
    However I sincerely think you do need to be there if you go to Krakow, simply because it reminds us of the past, however much painful it is.

YoBellzaa
    YoBellzaa ePHOTOzine Staff 7224 forum postsYoBellzaa vcard England
    27 Feb 2012 - 1:29 PM

I went to Prague last week and visited Terezin while I was there. I didn't realise just how bad things were and it was certainly an emotional experience.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2012 - 1:42 PM

I served in the army in BAOR in the early 60's our commanding officer somehow arranged passes for us to visit.
    God what an awe inspiring place
    There we were, supposedly big hard squaddies, and everyone of us choked up and wet eyed.
    If only we could learn from the mistakes of others, sadly history tells a different story

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2012 - 1:51 PM

"I didn't realise just how bad things were."
    Daniel what sort of an education did you have obviously one of your subjects was not modern history.

This is the very reason that these places MUST BE SEEN by todays and future generations so that the world does not forget.
    Yet despite all the evidence there are still those that say the HOLOCAUST did not happen

mikehit
    mikehit  56472 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 2:59 PM

Ikky - there is a world of diffference between reading something in a textbook and actually seeing things with your own eyes. As I mentioned above the photos drive home the point in a different way than seeing historic clips in isolation and casts of the modern site in isolation. People react to different stimuli.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 3:31 PM

thanks for the link. I visited Auschwitz/Birkenau when we went to Cracow...it left an indelible mark

Zatoichi
    Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2012 - 4:23 PM

Quote: This is the very reason that these places MUST BE SEEN by todays and future generations so that the world does not forget.

Yes, its just a shame some people haven't learned from it.

Quote: Yet despite all the evidence there are still those that say the HOLOCAUST did not happen

You have to allow the people the liberty to become idiots. Thankfully most aren't.

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 4:50 PM

Ive Been to Belson Belson but find it more detached than this, you see mounds with plaques on saying 2 thousand people buried here,, not quite the same as touching history Itself, Not as emotional as those image here are some pictures taken after D-Day of Normandy now and then, The bit that struck me was that the building was repaired, you would imagine in this day a council worker saying Uneconomical to repair and knocking them down, yet here is proof that they some are still standing.

Normandy

Last Modified By KevSB at 27 Feb 2012 - 4:53 PM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 6:12 PM

To think this happened just one generation ago, and still in the living memory of many.

I'm visiting Munich shortly and and hope to visit Dachau if time allows.

Lynx08
    Lynx08 e2 Member 61234 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
    27 Feb 2012 - 7:10 PM

Any of these sites are such emotional places to visit. I went to the American cemetery in Normanday a few years ago and although we've all seen it on TV with the rows of white crosses it does not prepare you for how powerful a place it is. It is so well tended and serenely quiet. More teenagers should be made visit these places to learn what happens when things get out of hand.

cantona43
    cantona43 e2 Member 9885 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2012 - 7:15 PM

I too was in the forces and had a visit here in the 70's what a spine chilling experience it was a dayI will never forget

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.