Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

auto lighting optimiser.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    paulbroad
    paulbroad  681 forum posts United Kingdom825 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 4:54 PM

Anyone have any doubts about this tool. I have an EOS 7D, and initially left this feature at default. The camera is superb, but I immediatelly started to get rejections from three of my 4 libraries for excessive image noise. I thought the library reviewers were having problems with the 51 MB files at 100% but they say not.

I also still have a 20D and 40D and it transpires that images from these cameras are still accepted without problems. Same set of lenses used on all three bodies, so not a lens iissue. I've shut the auto lightingoptimiser down and acceptance rate has gone up, but not perfect.

Any comments?

Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2012 - 4:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    7 Oct 2012 - 5:38 PM

iv the 7d iv set it up from reading some reviews on net from reading others recomendations. or as others suggested be prepared to play about with settings

ikett
    ikett e2 Member 3317 forum postsikett vcard England
    7 Oct 2012 - 5:54 PM

Quote: iv the 7d iv set it up from reading some reviews on net from reading others recomendations. or as others suggested be prepared to play about with settings

Would you try that again, in English?

justin c
    justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: iv the 7d iv set it up from reading some reviews on net from reading others recomendations

Well why not share some of those recommendations then, instead of just stating that you happen to have your camera set-up, which is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.!!!!!!

Back to the original question.
    Have a read through THIS ARTICLE which should give you an idea what Auto Lighting Optimizer is all about.

I prefer to always keep it switched off, along with most in-camera settings, preferring to have ultimate control of the image, rather than letting the camera apply any adjustments.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 Oct 2012 - 6:55 PM
    robthecamman
    7 Oct 2012 - 7:59 PM

get the message leave forums alone bye

Jestertheclown

Quote: I prefer to always keep it switched off,

I'm inclined to agree with you.

It was set to 'on' by default when I got the camera, mine's a Nikon, and I've tried turning it off but I can't really see that it makes much difference.

Bren.

paulbroad
    paulbroad  681 forum posts United Kingdom825 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 7:20 PM

Oh dear, not a good result so far. I understand what the auto lighting optimiser is supposed to do and do fully understand tonal range and sensor dynamic capabilities. What I seem to be getting is more noise when I use it. I expect that relates to reducing shadow density which creates noise when performed manually.

Seems from the response so far that I will leave it switched off. Wonder if it is just the Canon version or more general.

Paul

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 7:24 PM

Yes - the increase in noise is from the same process as boosting shadows in post processing. Given the greater processing capactity of the computer I would prefer to use that. I think all makes do the same sort of thing. Apparently the optimiser also reduces potential frame rate because of the increased processing time.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.