Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Autofocus problem

19 Aug 2012 7:34PM
I have a 300D. I recently used autofocus to focus in the distance. I then zoomed in to see it was out of focus. Repeated. Same. Is this normal. Should I use manual instead?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bmh1 e2
8 571 1 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2012 7:53PM
Most lenses will need to re-focus when you change the zoom - there is a specific term (which I can't remember) to describe the few lenses which do keep their focus when the zoom changes though it roughly translates as 'expensive' Smile ...
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2012 8:03PM
Parfocal's the term for maintaining focus when zooming and I think for Canon, only a few of the L lenses are in that category.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2012 10:43AM

Quote:there is a specific term (which I can't remember) to describe the few lenses which do keep their focus when the zoom changes though it roughly translates as 'expensive' ...

Love it!
22 Aug 2012 11:18AM
Using a zoom you have to zoom first then half press the shutter to activate the auto focus. Focus does change while zooming (except with the Parfocal lenses).
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 11:31AM
I think the OP means they 'zoomed in' on the LCD and saw that it was out of focus.

Accuracy of the autofocus depends on quite a few factors - and the AF area is often bigger than the AF point in the viewfinder so if it finds something of higher contrast than the stubject you want to take a picture of then it will focus on that instead.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2012 1:53PM

Quote:I think the OP means they 'zoomed in' on the LCD and saw that it was out of focus

Nah, could be wrong but I think he means the first way lol

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.