Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Availability of Lee Filters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2011 - 8:28 AM

I have my money saved ready to purchase a Lee filter set, I was looking at the Digital Starter Kit. Wherever I look though they are out of stock everywhere. Firstly does anyone know the reason for this and secondly does anyone know where they can be bought "in stock" apart from ebay which I distrust?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2011 - 8:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ejtumman
ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
13 Feb 2011 - 9:05 AM

I had a nightmare sourcing them a few weeks ago, and all I was after was the foundation kit. I ended up speaking to these guys SRB who were incredibly helpful and split a professional kit for me so I could buy the foundation. For the filters, I had a hunt around and bought from dealers who had the ones I wanted.

It is worth phoning the various stores though, as not all keep their websites up to date with their stock levels.

E

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2011 - 9:14 AM

This statement from LEE explains the situation with the availability of their products

Last Modified By JJGEE at 13 Feb 2011 - 9:18 AM
kat2290
kat2290  392 forum posts
13 Feb 2011 - 9:44 AM

I've been waiting for a big stopped from warehouse express for over 2 months now, and before that I had to wait about 3 months for my foundation kit...Hope they're going to be worth the wait!

kat2290
kat2290  392 forum posts
13 Feb 2011 - 9:44 AM

*big stopper* sorry

MeanGreeny
13 Feb 2011 - 9:54 AM

Lee have always been the same with slow deliveries - and by that I mean 20 years+. The film gel side of the business always seems to be less affected than the stills filters side of the business.

I lived locally to them in the early 90's and was lucky enough to tour the factory a couple of times. Fantastic products but the situation now is reminiscent of the situation back then and most points in between.

The popularity of the Big Stopper and alleged knock on effect to their other stills filters is just the current, convenient excuse. Just accept that they're slow - don't forget that, like Christmas, most of the fun is in the anticipation Grin

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2011 - 9:57 AM

Quote: I've been waiting for a big stopped from warehouse express for over 2 months now

Well, it's demand for the 10-stop ND that's been causing the problems, apparently. So you're actually part of the problem.... Smile

B+W also make good 10-stop ND's. Or you could do what people used to do and simply wait until it's dark enough to do long-exposure work. And it would save you money.

Last Modified By joolsb at 13 Feb 2011 - 9:58 AM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2011 - 11:19 AM

You could have a look here, If you have not done so yet.....Grin

Now Cokin has gone splatt, My guess is Lee are a tad busy, Or they to are going to go splatt....!!!

User_Removed
13 Feb 2011 - 1:54 PM

Quote: does anyone know where they can be bought "in stock" apart from ebay which I distrust?

Do you have a reason for distrusting the sellers who use Ebay? One bad experience perhaps?

I have bought well over 20,000-worth of photographic equipment and materials on Ebay over the past few years, including three top-end Nikon dSLRs and more than 10 lenses, without any snags whatsoever. I have bought from sellers both here in UK and overseas, particularly Hong Kong, China and Poland. (There is actually a very good retailer in Poland advertising Lee filters on Ebay at present, although his prices seem a wee bit on the high side - maybe taking advantage of a global shortage.)

I simply would not give my money to one of the typical overpriced, money-grabbing "high street" retailers here who, frankly, seem to subscribe very enthusiastically to the concept of "Rip Off Britain". The other huge advantage of Ebay, of course, is that it is an excellent source of second-hand equipment and the savings, even after just a few weeks or months use, can be huge. (My D3s was 4 months old, in mint condition and had only 1400 actuations since new - but saved me almost 1000 on the "street price" of a new one.)

Even when I do now deal direct with a mail order retailer - e.g. I buy my Ilford paper from 7-day Shop in the Channel Islands - it is only because I first "discovered" them on Ebay.

Of course, you do have to take all the normal precautions such as always paying by Paypal, only buying from certificated bank-checked sellers, etc. Like everyone else, I have heard the horror myths about Ebay but, in every authenticated case I have seen, the "sucker" has been just that - a prime candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Feb 2011 - 1:57 PM
Knickeronian
13 Feb 2011 - 6:20 PM

Have to agree with that LF. I buy all my gear on Ebay. But you do need to watch prices - at present both iPads and Kindles are selling on Ebay for higher prices that you can get them on Amazon.

I think that what we are both saying is that the high street shops and chain stores have cut their own throats with their greed and poor service and the online retailers are just another nail in their coffins.

Last Modified By Knickeronian at 13 Feb 2011 - 6:22 PM
SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2011 - 6:10 AM

Thanks all for links,tips and advice, will follow them all up.

My thing with ebay is twofold. Not happy about buying optical goods when I am unable to check the quality beforehand, at least I know with any other online retailer I can send it back. Also my wife works at a bank and the most common customer complaints she has to sort out are all related to ebay.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022919 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2011 - 7:55 AM

I don't see how demand for the Big Stopper, which Lee don't manufacture, can play any part in this round of their inability to supply the market. People are not very patient on the whole and will look around for alternatives.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 - 9:43 AM

Pro dealers like Morco, Dale and Calumet are worth a try.
They may be a little more expensive than WE - but if they have what you want in stock you can buy now.

ge22y
ge22y  6115 forum posts Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Feb 2011 - 4:27 PM

Quote: I don't see how demand for the Big Stopper, which Lee don't manufacture, can play any part in this round of their inability to supply the market. People are not very patient on the whole and will look around for alternatives.

Apparently the problem with the big stopper is the amount of filters that fail Lee's quality check. I think it was something like a 50% failure rate due to the manufacturing process and Lee are working with the Chinese manufacturer on sorting out this issue.

I ordered a Lee big stopper with Robert White on the 2nd Jan 2011, hopefully I will receive mine in the next delivery at Whites as they have currently fulfilled their back orders upto the end of December. Robert White have a great updates page to let customers know what's going on.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111543 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2011 - 2:02 PM

Big stoppers now in stock at Speedgraphic

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.