Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2009 - 6:39 PM

We've just spent a magical time watching Avatar in 3D at the cinema.

It is an amazing achievement in technology.

Dozens of young kids under 10 were there also, so I was a bit apprehensive about potential noise, chattering, seat kicking and background noise.

I needn't have worried.

The special effects were so good - none of the kids made a single noise - they were silent and speechless with what they were seeing on screen.

It is an amazing film for special effects - some of the audience ducked and leaned to one side when things came off the screen "into" the crowd - and not just the kids.

A thoroughly good time was had by all - great entertainment all round - and a very special experience in 3D.

If you get the chance - don't miss it in 3D.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Dec 2009 - 6:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2009 - 6:42 PM

Going to see it later in the week, saw Christmas Carol in 3D and absolutely blown away by the effects Smile

montechoro
29 Dec 2009 - 6:49 PM

I'd be interested in how you think they compare in terms of 3D technology answersonapostcard.

I am absolutely amazed at what James Cameron has achieved with Avatar.

This is a landmark film for me in terms of technology - it is simply astounding.

I know this film had a colossal budget - and I'm wondering what the next film will be to use this technology and where they can take it in terms of special effects.

GX20PAB
GX20PAB  4 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2009 - 6:56 PM

I saw this last week - 3D is fantastic - a must see film, just for the experience if nothing else

montechoro
29 Dec 2009 - 7:03 PM

It certainly is an unforgettable experience.

I put the 3D glasses on and was totally immersed in the special effects until the credits rolled.

I read that the film has already been criticised for not having a gay "hero" or any overweight Avatars who are apparently "thin role models perpetuating the Hollywood stereotype" - in their opinion. ROFL - I need to lose some weight but still enjoyed the film.

Can't these people just go to the cinema to be entertained? Smile

Last Modified By montechoro at 29 Dec 2009 - 7:04 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2009 - 7:03 PM

I'll let you know, saw Sherlock Holmes today, having a bit of a cinema fest at the mo, good film too. At this rate I'm going to have to get a season ticket if they carry on producing good stuff like this, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland looking good on a trailer too.

montechoro
29 Dec 2009 - 7:07 PM

Hi answersonapostcard - my wife has just informed me that she wants to book to see Avatar in 3D again - as soon as possible.

She enjoyed it that much and in 20 years we have never seen the same film twice in the same week in the same cinema before.

Now where is the blue make up........................................? Smile

DonnaN
DonnaN  5129 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2009 - 7:19 PM

It's an awesome film - absolutely worth it, and we too even talked about going to see it again....unheard of in our household!! Smile

answersonapostcard
29 Dec 2009 - 7:20 PM

Quote: Now where is the blue make up.

LOL

I think I'll book this time too, first time I've seen handwritten sign 'this film sold out' time and time again.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 29 Dec 2009 - 7:21 PM
montechoro
29 Dec 2009 - 7:28 PM

Quote: Quote:Now where is the blue make up.LOL

I think I'll book this time too, first time I've seen handwritten sign 'this film sold out' time and time again.

We had to book - zero chance otherwise - same "sold out" signs here too.

Should you put the yellow contact lenses in before the blue make up is applied? Smile

montechoro
29 Dec 2009 - 7:30 PM

Quote: It's an awesome film - absolutely worth it, and we too even talked about going to see it again....unheard of in our household!!

It was unheard of in our household too - now it's a first - we're going again.

SWMBO is online - booking it now.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2009 - 7:52 PM

avatar was awesome in 3D. came home and rewatched it. worth keeping my glasses for Grin.
a superb film and well worth teh wait. next.... THE HOBBIT!!!

answersonapostcard
29 Dec 2009 - 9:13 PM

is that the 2011 adaption?! I cant wait that long! lol

del Toro's work is awesome, Pan's Labyrinth is an all time favourite.

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
29 Dec 2009 - 11:13 PM

I saw Avatar in 3D last week and although I thought it was a good 162 mins of entertainment I wasn't blown away by either the 3D or the storyline.

The 3D felt a bit gimmicky and to be honest the supporting 3D ads were more impressive. There's an article on BBC's Click magazine about 3D films that talks about where a film has to be made for both 2D and 3D viewing compromises have to be made and I think this could have happened here.

The story felt like an update on the marauding greedy white men plundering the American West from the Native Americans and to be honest despite being 3D didn't have a lot of depth or subtlety.

I found the most impressive thing was the way the whole world of Pandora had been carefully created to create a convincing alien ecosystem.

Still an enjoyable film but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra for the 3D version again.

Simon

Last Modified By psiman at 29 Dec 2009 - 11:14 PM
montechoro
30 Dec 2009 - 7:29 AM

Quote:
The story felt like an update on the marauding greedy white men plundering the American West from the Native Americans
Simon

LOL - We thought it was "Dances with Avatars" as well - great entertainment all the same - we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last Modified By montechoro at 30 Dec 2009 - 7:29 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.