Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

AVG Anti Virus

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
BOB S
BOB S  112622 forum posts
29 Jun 2006 - 12:44 PM

Having just about had my fill of trying to get any support help from Symantec for my Norton Anti Virus product I have downloaded the free version of AVG from Grisoft.

Does anybody have experience of this product, and if so do you think I can now remove Norton ?

Any views appreciated.

BOB

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2006 - 12:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

simont
simont  102247 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 12:48 PM

Try Nod though it's not free it seems to one of the best around.

There was another thread about it the other week.

NickdeBug
NickdeBug  9391 forum posts
29 Jun 2006 - 12:48 PM

It's okay. Doesn't like being run in tandem with some other anti-virus packages. I've started using Bitdefender which is good (and pretty cheap at 25 for a two year licence).

Good luck removing Norton!

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 12:56 PM

No AV product likes running in tandem with another for technical reasons I'll spare you on a photography forum.

My current top AV picks are Bitdefender Pro 9 or Kaspersky Labs AV both have very high detection rates and don't cane your machines performance.

Jase_b
Jase_b  740 forum posts Scotland
29 Jun 2006 - 12:56 PM

I gave up using Norton years ago as i always had problems with it, my brother now uses AVG and swears by it.

I agree with NickeBug above.....have fun removing Norton!!

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101387 forum postsdark_lord vcard England95 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 1:00 PM

I'm using the AVG AV and firewall, and it seems to be working ok, better than Norton. I'd come to the time when I needed to either renew my Norton subscription or get something else. Various reccomendations on here suggested AVG so gave them a go. It found some stuff Norton didn't, but not everything will pick all the stuff up. Plus the fact it was cheaper for 2 PCs for 2 years.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 1:02 PM

Always used AVG & never had a problem.

Sarah

peter shilton
29 Jun 2006 - 1:06 PM

Run AVG and AVG pro on differant machine and find it is OK. Also have panda which is good but have had some problems with. Norton is a nightmare.

Tandberg
Tandberg  101218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 1:13 PM

I use AVG and have for ages, Never had a problem.

Dave

adonoghue
adonoghue  10519 forum posts England
29 Jun 2006 - 1:13 PM

If you are with NTL, you can get Netguard for free...failing that, if you bank with Barclays, you can get F-Secure for free.

But as a free anti-virus package, AVG does its job well...just ensure you run it in conjunction with a firewall (Zonealarm for example, which is also free)

User_Removed
29 Jun 2006 - 1:26 PM

Another for AVG - VERY light on memory overheads and VERY effective.

Phil-LS
Phil-LS  10632 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jun 2006 - 2:58 PM

Used AVG for about 4 years and never a problem.

podgod
podgod  10494 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 3:16 PM

I removed Norton and installed AVG about a year ago, everything speeded up. To remove Norton I had to download a file from the Norton Website. In the search box at the top of the page type uninstall Norton Antivrus ???? (the version you are running) and it should tell you how to do it and the uninstall file should be available to download if you need one.

Hope that helps and you are soon enjoying a trouble free and speedy internet.

mack
mack  9290 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jun 2006 - 3:17 PM

Used the Free version of AVG for a few years now, no problems, upgrades regularly. Also run ewido anti-malware, that finds a lot of rubbish that comes down the wire too. I had NTL's Netguard on, but it seemed to act up and slow things down a bit, so took it off.

MeanGreeny
29 Jun 2006 - 3:47 PM

Another vote for Kaspersky. Very low system overhead and extremely high detection rate.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.