Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

AVG Free on the MAC

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

nikguyatt
nikguyatt  10526 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 6:43 PM

Hi

I am thinking of getting the free AVG anti virus for my MAC. Does anyone know of a reason why i shouldn't. I use to have it on my PC and it worked pretty well. just wondering if it slows it up at all?

many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Nik

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Oct 2012 - 6:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ray1
ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 7:42 PM

Not much point really - never had any anti virus on my mac and never had a problem.

robthecamman
16 Oct 2012 - 7:46 PM

iv a mac which has a free sophos anti virus.just run it in background

Jestertheclown
16 Oct 2012 - 7:57 PM

I don't know anything about using it on a mac but I've just removed AVG from here as it was causing the machine to freeze. I've had problems with it in the past but this time everything stopped working until I removed it.

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 7:58 PM

agree with Ray1 there no need for it really as macs are really safe unlike pcs

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3762 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 - 8:09 PM

I suggest you read this carefully.

User_Removed
16 Oct 2012 - 8:17 PM

Many of today's worst viruses don't cause the mischief and mayhem that past ones did. You guys could have viruses running now and you would never have any idea. Part of a botnet that sends out spam. Completely transparent to you. A virus that sits silently collecting your credit card info and passwords. When your Hotmail account is hacked or your credit card is cloned you won't even think the event started on your own computer.

Things like Flash and PDF are cross platform and they have vulnerabilities that the bad guys exploit all the time. Thinking you can't get a virus and haven't got a virus because you'd surely know is a big mistake.

Rev2
Rev2  4211 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 8:23 PM

More anti-Mac propaganda. How many Mac users have you heard of who've EVER had a virus?

I'm not talking about that Flashback malware that infected 0.00003% of Mac users, that wasn't a virus.

oldblokeh
16 Oct 2012 - 8:32 PM

I work in an environment that uses both macs and pcs. I have a Unix background. I have no axe to grind. I have to say, though, that Apple's attitude to security leaves a lot to be desired and is not at all proactive. I also have to say that your own statement demonstrates the arrogance of mac users referenced in the article. Who cares what flavour of malware your computer is infected with? Malware is malware. A trojan is a trojan. The fact is that there was a vulnerability in Java, fixed on other platforms, for which Apple failed to provide a timely fix.

ray1
ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 8:34 PM

Mind you I have never had a virus on my pc either and that is since win 3.1 and dos. I have up to date security but have it switched off most of the time apart from now and again when I do a scan.

paulcookphotography

Quote: More anti-Mac propaganda. How many Mac users have you heard of who've EVER had a virus?

Actually, over the last couple of days i have had two 'spam' emails (the type that are sent out from people's mailboxes to everyone in their address book without their consent). Both of these emails came from Mac users and different email hosts. Ok, so not exactly a major virus issue, but Macs are not as secure as people like to believe

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 8:40 PM

Quote: I suggest you read this carefully.

I did and concluded its a load of crap written by a total pratt. Even if there is any truth in that article the author has blown all his credibility though his snide comments and insults thrown at Mac users.

Graysta
Graysta  91131 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 8:41 PM

My Mac works fine no anti virus ect in the same time I have thrown 3 pc's away all fitted with AVG - Norton- Avast is my latest attempt but to be honest i think it's just the operating system windows,
Not that it's crap but just that some scum love to pitch their wit's against empire Bill. It's as people dislike Man united a lot is down to success.

oldblokeh
16 Oct 2012 - 8:53 PM

Quote: I suggest you read this carefully.

I did and concluded its a load of crap written by a total pratt. Even if there is any truth in that article the author has blown all his credibility though his snide comments and insults thrown at Mac users.

There are plenty of other commentators, including mac-ophiles, who decry the Apply approach to security, but I honestly can't be arsed to look them up. I don't give a toss what platform you use. I use pcs, macs, Linux, you name it. Each has its strong and weak points. None of them deserves a cult following. However, malware and botnets are a problem that are not going to go away any time soon. Everybody who leaves their machine unprotected (and, no, there is no protection that is perfect) is potentially contributing to the continuing problem of botnets.

nikguyatt
nikguyatt  10526 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 9:16 PM

Thanks for the comments! Still not sure if avg is the way forward or not though! Basically I am just after some protection that doesn't slow everything down. I am happy to pay for a good one!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.