Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Aviemore

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42396 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
3 Nov 2012 - 4:06 AM

We are off to Aviemore next week for a week and although I was in the same rough area at Easter I wondered if anyone had some ideas for the best places to visit this time of year? When we were up there at Easter there seemed so many options but not having been before it was trial and error and I know we missed out on several locations. Happy to travel a bit - if able with the weather! I know Loch Garten & Rothiemurchus are close, any other ideas?

Thanks,

Lou

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2012 - 4:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter

Loch Avon in the Cairngorms. From Aviemore, burn up the ski road, don walking boots and tramp over the dreary Cairn Gorm and down t'other side to get a skek of this view.

JP

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 9:24 AM

If you want to visit some historical buildings, try, Glamis Castle, Scone Palace and Blair Athol. Stunning castles and amazing countryside around them.
Stephen

Snapper
Snapper  93771 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 10:43 AM

A quick look at your portfolio suggests that the Highland Wildlife Park should be on your list.

And if you want to see what the weather is like, there's the Snow Monkey Webcam which shows it's a cracking morning and feeding time is at 1130! Grin

Last Modified By Snapper at 3 Nov 2012 - 10:46 AM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
3 Nov 2012 - 11:04 AM

A little bit south of Aviemore, but don't forget Ruthven Barracks, near Kingussie. Lots of photographic potential there, particularly around twilight.

I don't need to mention Loch Morlich, I'm sure, but it's a good place for some moody landscapes. (Shameless self-promotion: there's a Loch Morlich photo in my portfolio, too Wink)

Edit: Slightly further afield but perhaps still within range, if you fancy something a bit more industrial you could give Laggan Dam a look. I've never seen it as impressive as in this YouTube clip, but if you're lucky it could be quite impressive:

Last Modified By mdpontin at 3 Nov 2012 - 11:10 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
bigalguitarpicker

Quote: ... and although I was in the same rough area at Easter ...
Thanks,

Lou

Bit harsh on Aviemore - I was there in September and didn't think it was too rough at all ... Wink

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93506 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 - 11:31 AM

....'fraid I can't help but I hope you have a great trip.
....good luck....Mike

paulcookphotography

Look out for red squirrels and the elusive created tits in glenmore forest

mdpontin
3 Nov 2012 - 12:34 PM

One problem with recommending places to visit in the Highlands is that no matter what you recommend, there's usually something else to see "just a few miles" along the road. Distances soon add up and before you know it you're spending a lot of time on the road, and at this time of year that can mean long journeys back to base in the dark.

That said, if you do travel as far as Loch Laggan, just a few miles further along the road brings you to Spean Bridge, and fantastic views of the Nevis range. Smile

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 2:27 PM

you are right round the corner from Loch Morlich , which at sunset or sunrise has some amazing views from the sides or the little old iron bridge , I have been there a few times , would also recommend nearby Loch an eilean and Laggan Dam further afield takes you past many stunning viewpoints , theres some shots in my folio from some of these places if you look further back in my pics too

cheers
Andy

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 2:30 PM

this is Loch Morlich from the far side

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/pulsar69-19925/gallery/photo/mountainscape-100876...

Autumn leaves and snow are a must and you have a great shot then !

kaybee
kaybee  103884 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 3:58 PM

Go to Corpach for the bottom end of the Caladonian Canal ..... and the Gem Museum (Treasures of the earth) if the weather is bad (it is a facinating place and so out of place for its location). Nice views along Loch Eil too

Don't forget to go down Glen Etive when you go through Glen Coe

User_Removed
3 Nov 2012 - 4:50 PM

Another vote for the Highland Wildlife Park at Kingussie. They had to kill Mercedes but they have another polar bear now.

I think some of the suggestions above fail to take account of just how huge an area the Highlands is. Many of the places would involve driving for well over an hour from Aviemore. But if you do have free days, you could go west one day, north another, east on a third and maybe do some of PuertoUK's suggestions on your way back down the A9.

Quote:
Quote: ... and although I was in the same rough area at Easter ...
Thanks,

Lou

Bit harsh on Aviemore - I was there in September and didn't think it was too rough at all ... Wink

It's different at Easter. All the Glasgow Keelies go up to re-enact the crucifixion using the teuchters as subjects.

Wink

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 6:23 PM

Why did they kill the polar bear ??Sad

Rod

mdpontin
3 Nov 2012 - 6:34 PM

Chronic health problems (osteoarthritis), probably at least partly age-related.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 3 Nov 2012 - 6:35 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.