Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Award Gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    marshfam19
    marshfam19 e2 Member 5marshfam19 vcard United Kingdom
    1 Dec 2012 - 5:43 PM

I am new to uploading my images and now I discover some are in the Award Gallery, could someone explain to me how this works and the way they got there.

Thanks.

Mary

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Dec 2012 - 5:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Dec 2012 - 5:52 PM

Only took you 4 years, Mary.

There are 3 different awards in the Award Gallery:

For editors choice EC,

Quote: The photos displayed here have been hand-picked by Peter Bargh, ePHOTOzine's editor and represent his personal favourites from work that has been submitted to ePHOTOzine's Photography Gallery. Each of these pictures receives the exclusive Editor's Choice Award.

For highly commended HC,

Quote: The photos displayed here are hand-picked by Peter Bargh, ePHOTOzine's editor, from all the photos submitted to our Reader Gallery. This selection represents his shortlist of photos for the prestigious Editor's Choice Award, but didn't quite make the final few that are awarded an EC. Every photo in the HC Gallery is work that Pete feels is of excellent technical quality or appeals on a personal level. Each of these pictures receives the exclusive Highly Commended award.

For guest editor choice

Quote: Each week we invite one of our members to be guest editor (GE). They will look through the week's uploaded images, like the editor does, and award what they think are the best pictures of the week. Those GE awarded images are displayed here.

Other than that, there are also readers choice if you get over 30 votes. And user awards where users/members give awards to photos they like best on that day. Though they are not listed in the Award Gallery.

puertouk
    puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 10:24 AM

The editor seems to have too much say in giving these awards. OK, if its the Editors choice award, its got to be down to him, but all other awards should be judged by a panel from the EPZ team, say 5.

marshfam19
    2 Dec 2012 - 10:39 AM

I am just confused as to why my images are in the award gallery, surely if they are not good enough for a award they should not be there, it doesn't worry me but it is annoying not to understand, there seem very little information for someone like me who is new to uploading images.

I do agree with puertouk there should be a panel, it could change from month to month, however in there defence there are a lot of images to wade through.

Mary

KathyW
    KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 10:52 AM

Now I am confused... I cannot see where you have any awards Mary?

The Editor's choice and Highly Commended awards are picked by the editor, and why not? The reader's choice gallery is for photos that the readers like enough to vote for, the user award is your personal favourite, and Guest editors gallery is where ordinary mortals get the chance to play god for a week Smile Suggest you have a go at being guest editor then you will appreciate how long it takes to look at every single image that is posted on here Smile

Last Modified By KathyW at 2 Dec 2012 - 10:56 AM
    marshfam19
    2 Dec 2012 - 1:30 PM

Not sure why KathyW feels the need to have a pop at me, I confess I got the whole voting thing wrong, however I still think it would be nice for a panel to select photos perhaps now and again just to give everyone a rest as she rightly says there are a lot of photos to look at. I am sorry if my opinions cause offence but its just any idea.

Mary

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 1:38 PM

Mary,
    The panel type of award was tested a few years back. I was in it. It didn't work, IMHO. Hence, it has been back to the editor since.

marshfam19
    2 Dec 2012 - 1:42 PM

Oh, I didn't know that, it was just a thought. It just seems as though just a few have to wade through so many images.

Mary

marshfam19
    2 Dec 2012 - 1:43 PM

BTW, thanks Coleslaw for explaining the voting, got that completely wrong.

lawbert
    lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 3:49 PM

Hello Mary

I really dont think KathyW wasnt having a pop at you.

Like her I cant see that you have any awarded photos This is your awarded photos page

There are sometimes issues with the site and perhaps you could post a link as I have done above as to where your images are in the award gallery and one of the sites tech team can look into the issue.

Keep at the Photography Mary as you have some great imagesWink

Paul

KevSB
    KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 4:01 PM

Quote: The editor seems to have too much say in giving these awards. OK, if its the Editors choice award, its got to be down to him, but all other awards should be judged by a panel from the EPZ team, say 5.

Not very Practical, The Guest Judge struggles to find volunteers as it involves alot of time going through the gallery, finding 5 volunteers would be near impossible, Not sure why it wants changing tbh as It is exactly what it says on the time "Editors Choice" or are you advocating another award the "panels choice"...Good luck with that one and the hundreds of posts that will follow saying its so wrong or so right altho that should be amusing for a few weeks.

It may be you have seen the VS Mode mary in which you may have won a challenge. unless you opted out pictures will be seen by other members that say they like your picture and is designed to be a another way to showcase your pictures, nothing serious so just doing what you are doing and share as you have been

Last Modified By KevSB at 2 Dec 2012 - 4:05 PM
    lawbert
    lawbert  71720 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 4:07 PM

Quote:

I really dont think KathyW wasnt having a pop at you.

That reads incorrectly!!Sad

I really dont think KathyW was having a pop at you.

Thats better...apologies for any inconvenience causedSmile

marshfam19
    2 Dec 2012 - 6:23 PM

Thanks KevSB I think you have solved the mystery as to why I think I have awards, it must be the VS mode I am getting confused with. Thanks again for that.

As for the panel of judges, it has already been pointed out to me that it has been tried and didn't work, I still think its a lot of work for one person, however I think I might have opened a hornets nest with my panel comment.

Thanks again.

Mary

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95932 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 6:59 PM

Quote: however I think I might have opened a hornets nest with my panel comment.

Fortunately the Hornets have all passed away this year, apart from the hibernating QueensWink

KathyW
    KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 7:12 PM

Having a pop????? Not at all Smile I think Kev is probably right, and you saw that one of your pics had won a vs challenge. Well done. Do seriously consider taking a turn as guest editor too - but be prepared to spend quite a bit of time looking through all the images. It is a lot of work for one person, but if Pete didn't have to spend time doing it, who knows what mischief he would get up to?

I seem to remember some very nasty incidents when there was a panel picking the awards for a little while, it was most unpleasant for all concerned, there were tears and tantrums and some thought life would never be the same again. It is best not to speak of it again.

Last Modified By KathyW at 2 Dec 2012 - 7:14 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.