Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"Award Winning" Photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 10:44 AM

So many people prefix the word "photographer" with "award winning"

With this "dilution", does the term have any meaning or use these days ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2013 - 10:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 10:58 AM

I guess it depends what award they won. We call ourselves an award winning web site as we won awards with the editors at Web User magazine and the marketing guys at Hitwise - it all adds to the brand.

nickthompson
14 Feb 2013 - 10:59 AM

I've won a couple of VS mode challenges. I must be an award winning photographer Wink

samueldilworth
14 Feb 2013 - 11:00 AM

It doesnít work for me. Itís just marketing-speak of the type everyone in 2013 immediately detects and discounts.

Now, if youíve won an award that Iíve heard of, then sure! But mention the name of the award in that case, e.g. Pulitzer Prize, Hasselblad Masters Awards, Picture Editors' Awards, Travel Photographer of the Year, etc.

For hobbyists (like myself) different rules apply: the website is mostly for friends, family, and fellow photographers, and mentioning a competition win in your favourite photo magazine is perfectly fine.

scottishphototours

We have a local tog who enters swpp monthly competitions of various subjects and has been in the top three. She is now advertised as "award winning"...is this what you mean?

Yet another way to dupe the public methinks!

paulcookphotography

I think it really depends on the awards and whether they are recognised/organised. I wouldn't class winning an award badge on ephotozine (as great as they are) quite the same as winning a large national or international award from an annual panel judged competition

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Quote: does the term have any meaning or use these days ?

No. Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 11:20 AM

Quote: But mention the name of the award in that case

agree - without getting specific, it can mean anything from a use award on here to the pulitzer prize. Its vague and meaningless.

The other thing is - what if you don't enter competitions?

I get emails from Twitter every day detailing new followers, and the vast majority of Photographers seem to have "award winning" somewhere in their blurb - so much so that it's meaningless.

So conversely, does not mentioning "award winning" damage your brand/reputation?

Is it now assumed that all photographers should be "award winning", and those who are not should be thrown into the abyss

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 11:50 AM

Interesting debate. I think most with a business and who has won a (significant) award would use the term. After all, they're selling to the public, not their peers.
Even if it is no more meaningful than a marketing tool, if it impresses their client base or improves their profile then good for them.

Fraser

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 12:06 PM

Who checks anyway, if there was an award for plumber, engineer of the year etc would you check before you employed them, would you know how to.. does the average man in the street care about whether he employs and award winning photographer or does he/she just look at the work/price on offer? People claim lots of things these days that are not true, or an embellishment of the truth.

paulcookphotography

On the flipside, i guess fact that someone may have won a major photographic award means nothing to their peers, but it does mean a lot to the individual (and potential clients). It does seem these days that success and recognised achievement is frowned upon

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 12:14 PM

Quote: It does seem these days that success and recognised achievement is frowned upon

Ah, the old "Ah kent yer faither" syndrome. Know your station and don't get above yourself.

Last Modified By fraser at 14 Feb 2013 - 12:18 PM
779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 - 12:20 PM

Quote: it can mean anything from a use award on here to the pulitzer prize. Its vague and meaningless.

Without stating what the award won is then it's completely meaningless. I would assume that an award worth winning would be named by the person saying they are an award winning photographer.

goexplorephotography

David Ward (a legend in landscapes)

Starts his website with. "I am not an award winning photographer"

Regarding myself.

I have not won any awards myself, but that may have something to do with the fact ive only twice entered a photography competition in the last 30 year of being involved in photography.
I dont need to hear someone else say im good. I know im good as i continue to be commissioned and my work sells.

Im not blowing my own trumpet as i dont declare to great or to be better than anyone else. But im confident in my own ability as i make a living from something i love.

paulcookphotography

Quote: It does seem these days that success and recognised achievement is frowned upon

Ah, the old "Ah kent yer faither" syndrome. Know your station and don't get above yourself.

Meaning?

It just seems that if someone hasn't won an award, then they are meaningless. If you have, then why not use it to promote yourself?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.