Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Awesome effects

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
kotecharak
14 Dec 2010 - 8:32 PM

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some new software that allowed to have templates for effects or ease of use by having a pre determined filter.

The genre of pictures i am really wanting this software for is weddings and urban photography.

Can anyone recommend the best software? money is not an issue! I want the best

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Dec 2010 - 8:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BenMcinally
14 Dec 2010 - 10:51 PM

Best programme I've used is lightroom. Loads of pre made presets can be downloaded and great to use if you need to batch process.

Plus its under £200

Fishnet
Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2010 - 11:07 PM

You can download lots of free actions for PS Elements as well as PS.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2010 - 11:18 PM

Lightroom, Photoshop, & develop your own style.

User_Removed
14 Dec 2010 - 11:33 PM

Another vote for Lightroom.

Create your own user presets and use them to batch-process your images before assessing them individually. Saves a lot of time.

kotecharak
15 Dec 2010 - 12:06 PM

Ive been using Lightroom for 6 months HOW DO I BATCH PROCESS in one go???

I had no idea Lightroom can add effects to the picture? i thought it was purely adjustments, sharpness and noise reduction.

I recently bought Color effects pro 3.0 which has some amazing colour effects but i want templates and that kind of stuff? maybe im not explaining it too well lol.

Like on cs5 the 3d new shape from layer changes the shape etc

User_Removed
15 Dec 2010 - 2:20 PM

Quote: Ive been using Lightroom for 6 months HOW DO I BATCH PROCESS in one go???

In the Develop module, highlight all the images you want to batch process and click on the desired preset (either Lightroom presets, imported presets - and there are hundreds of them available - or user presets that you have created yourself.)

Quote: I had no idea Lightroom can add effects to the picture? i thought it was purely adjustments, sharpness and noise reduction.

What do you think effects are - other than particular combinations of adjustments? Take a look at some of the Lightroom presets that you can download for free. The WOW range contains some pretty startling effects. But just use them as bases for designing your own and get a suite of presets that exactly match your requirements.

swanseamale47
16 Dec 2010 - 11:38 PM

Check out the totally radical actions, these are popular with some wedding and urban photographers, you will pay for them though as they are not free.

Fishnet
17 Dec 2010 - 12:07 AM

One thing I have learnt is, if there is an action out there that costs a fortune, somebody has made one that does the same, for free.

Deviant Art is good for free actions.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2010 - 9:48 AM

Actions / presets are fine, and yes I use them - but only to streamline the workflow.

The problem with downloading actions is you don't always know why a particular stage is there, and unless you do you won't get the same degree of effect that you are aiming for. For example I've seen dozens of Draganiser actions - or more exactly pictures using a Draganiser action - which quite frankly are a very poor characature of the real thing. I won't link to an example of a poor image, as I don't think thats fair - put if you google the terms and look at the images you will see what I mean. All I will say is where in Dragans work is there a hint of a halo.

The problem with actions (used badly) is that some believe its a shortcut to a winning formula time after time. I would hazard a guess in the example I've stated, Dragan doesn't use just one action to gain the look - but uses several different things in his workflow - all image dependent.

The actions I use, are the ones I've recorded myself - I know what each stage does, when its needed etc. In particular they are useful for repetitive tasks - like preparing images for EPZ, with your preferred presentation - All I do is press F3 and away it goes ..

Last Modified By Nick_w at 17 Dec 2010 - 9:50 AM
Fishnet
17 Dec 2010 - 4:14 PM

I use actions that work in layers so I can tweak each individual layer or even get rid of some,

swanseamale47
18 Dec 2010 - 7:12 PM

You can't really do a dragan effect with an action, theres a lot of burning and dodging in the real thing.

Nick_w
18 Dec 2010 - 9:10 PM

Quote: You can't really do a dragan effect with an action, theres a lot of burning and dodging in the real thing.

re read what I said. Tho there's nothing stopping you having a 50% grey dodge burn/ layer and placing stops in the action. But as I said you need to know what each and every stage does exactly. There's no need to dodge and burn on the actual pixels. Besides there's other ways too Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 9:19 PM

Quote: All I will say is where in Dragans work is there a hint of a halo

They are there if you look, all part of the effect.

Quote: One thing I have learnt is, if there is an action out there that costs a fortune, somebody has made one that does the same, for free

Even better it you save your own Smile

Nick_w
18 Dec 2010 - 9:21 PM

Not in the originators work Paul, maybe in some of his earlier stuff but not in say the aged Hitler

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.