Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

B******S

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2012 - 10:09 PM

One of the best meals I have ever eaten, was years ago.
A pair of year old wood pigeons, served with fresh garden peas, new potatoes and butterTongue

Adrian

PS The pigeons were shot by the local gamekeeper

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jun 2012 - 10:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jun 2012 - 10:33 AM

I've never had pigeon but wild rabbits are way better than farmed imho. Although I was put off eating pheasant when I was younger because I bit into a bit of shot, oh that and the fat on a pheasant is the most awful taste, probably goes away with hanging but I've seen that done and that doesnt seem right either -though its probably down to experience with the timing ;0

thewilliam
23 Jun 2012 - 11:52 AM

I use a short-cut method for preparing pheasant that results in very little fat remaining on the carcass.

With the plumage still in place, I use a hand-axe to remove the head, wings and feet below the "knees. Then I make a short incision at the chest and peel off the skin with feathers still attached. Evisceration takes another couple of seconds.

The longest job is cleaning the axe!

We do need to avoid swallowing the shot and carelessness when chewing can result in a trip to the dentist.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 23 Jun 2012 - 11:54 AM
Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
31 Jul 2013 - 9:22 AM

Let's put it this way:

The trout, caught by an angler and quickly despatched with a chap on the brow has a far more humane death than the haddock netted by a trawler and dumped in the hold to slowly suffocate.

The duck or goose, shot by a wildfowler, after a life in the wild has had a far better life and death than the chicken kept in a cage or barn for a short 16 weeks before ending up in a Sainsbury's plastic bag.

The deer, roaming wild on the hill before meeting a quick death from the stalker's bullet, has had a very good deal compared to the farmed bullock, castrated a birth and fed concentrates for a very short life beore being carted to the slaughterhouse to become two sides of beef and a pile of offal.

Some folk are vegetarians because of genuinely held (if somewhat misguided) personal beliefs. Fair play to them.

But hypocrites who decry country sports and then tuck in to a meal of fish and chips or sirloin steak really do need to waken up to where their food comes from.

collywobles
31 Jul 2013 - 10:47 AM


Quote: But hypocrites who decry country sports and then tuck in to a meal of fish and chips or sirloin steak really do need to waken up to where their food comes from.

Well said.


Quote: The trout, caught by an angler and quickly despatched with a chap on the brow has a far more humane death than the haddock netted by a trawler and dumped in the hold to slowly suffocate.

---- you forgot to add "after being dragged along the sea bed for six hours...... "

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014148 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 11:04 AM


Quote: Some folk are vegetarians because of genuinely held (if somewhat misguided) personal beliefs.

I fail to see what is misguided about not wanting to cause suffering and death...
seems quite sensible to me.

mikehit
mikehit  56492 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 12:39 PM


Quote: Let's put it this way:

The trout, caught by an angler and quickly despatched with a chap on the brow has a far more humane death than the haddock netted by a trawler and dumped in the hold to slowly suffocate.

The duck or goose, shot by a wildfowler, after a life in the wild has had a far better life and death than the chicken kept in a cage or barn for a short 16 weeks before ending up in a Sainsbury's plastic bag.

The deer, roaming wild on the hill before meeting a quick death from the stalker's bullet, has had a very good deal compared to the farmed bullock, castrated a birth and fed concentrates for a very short life beore being carted to the slaughterhouse to become two sides of beef and a pile of offal.



What a load of anthropomorphistic tosh!

monstersnowman
31 Jul 2013 - 1:37 PM

Lol .. Only with the bunch of objectionsble, self righteous, argumentative members on a site like this could an opening post so quickly, easily and predictably end in a disagreement ...

thewilliam
31 Jul 2013 - 2:20 PM

Should this thread now be moved to the "healthy debate" section?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014148 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 2:34 PM

moved...

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3299 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2013 - 3:07 PM


Quote: Lol .. Only with the bunch of objectionsble, self righteous, argumentative members on a site like this could an opening post so quickly, easily and predictably end in a disagreement ...

That comment itself is a very opinionated ,sweeping generalisation.

If you think this site is bad, have a look at some of the orher photographic forums ,especially those at a well known review site!
Wink

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
14 Aug 2013 - 10:51 AM


Quote: These yobs need a few big guys to sort them out and let them realise what that bird went through

They used to be called dads...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.