Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

B&W Conversion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Fotoman
    Fotoman  9
    21 Oct 2004 - 6:55 PM

I'd like to read about your techniques to convert a color image in a fine b&w print. I know about image mode-grayscale or desaturation but they don't produce nice b&w.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Oct 2004 - 6:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru
    21 Oct 2004 - 6:58 PM

try here

bpa
    bpa  101224 forum posts
    21 Oct 2004 - 7:01 PM

Try THIS, they do a good plug in for Photoshop where you can alter for different film effects, filters etc.

wing
    wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Oct 2004 - 7:44 PM

The best method I have found, giving by far the most control over the conversion, is called the 'Russell Brown technique'.
    Look at the bottom of THIS page, for a rough guide to his method.
    I'm not saying it is the best method you will find, but I am saying it is the best method I have found so far.

Paul

takui neko
    takui neko  10849 forum posts Spain11 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2004 - 7:50 PM

I normally use 2 layers over the main picture, the first one a Selective Color layer and the second one a Hue/Saturation Layer, I put the Hue/Sat layer on the Master Channel at -100 and then play with the Selective Color Layer.
    When that is ready I touch up with Burn and Dodge brushes. Smile
    I like that way cause I do not touch the main image and I can always change/adjust things later, very non destructive technique. Smile

lordposh
    lordposh  1045 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Oct 2004 - 7:50 PM

I may have some tips for you Eric.... have a look at my portfolio and at 2 shots posted the first one is called Twinkle Twinkle both shots are the same but different methods were used to achieve end results..

If this is what you are trying to do then drop me an e-mail on

lordposh@aol.com

Roger

saxon_image
    21 Oct 2004 - 7:58 PM

The Virtual Photographer software (see bpa's link) is simplicity itself to use. Good for creating those nice grainy Tri-X (anyone else remember the smell of D76?)style images and for toning in any colour you like.

Paul

wing
    wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Oct 2004 - 8:24 PM

Thanks for the link to the VP plug-in BPA.
    Downloaded, but not tried it yet. Looks like it could be very useful.

Paul

BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    21 Oct 2004 - 9:07 PM

In my experience it is not the conversion to B&W that is the problem, the issue is with ink jet printers producing Black and White very poorly.

By generating blacks, greys and white by mixing the coloured inks it is very difficult to get real black and white without some slight casts. Is this the root of your probelm as you talk about a "fine B&W print"?

BOB

keithh
    keithh  1022788 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2004 - 9:10 PM

An excellent point Bob...hope you don't get shouted at like I did when I made the same point.

bpa
    bpa  101224 forum posts
    21 Oct 2004 - 9:22 PM

I believe the new Epson printers have a light black cartridge for that very reason.

Stephen

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2004 - 9:30 PM

I find two issues. First when you convert I find it best to split the image into the RGB channels and the blend them together to adjust contrast etc. On inkjet printing, I am happy with the black being black on my Epson photo 870 its more how it creates greys that bothers me, in that it tends to speckle the image a bit to create Grey. I believe you can get special graduated Grey inks to replace the colour ones but then you tend to get a problem of needing to flush the printer if you are switching between colour and B/W, or having a dedicated B/W printer.

BOB S
    21 Oct 2004 - 10:46 PM

John,

If you use just the black ink with your inkjet printer to generate a fully toned B&W image you lose the ability to generate real grey tones - you get a simulated grey by changing the placement of black ink dots - hence not a fully trnsitional tone is available.

You are right about the grad grey inks - this is my point, they replace the colour inks so you can generate a continuos tonal range from black to white. You are also quite right in that they are not really a good proposition unless you can dedicate a printer to using them - I spoke to Permajet who make such inks and they did NOT reccommend changeing from colour inks to B&W on anything like a regular basis.

BOB

debster
    debster  10693 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2004 - 9:23 AM

Hope you don't mind me joining in but..... can anyone explain how to do this in Paint Shop Pro? I've played with several times but am not 100% happy with results. To me, the photos have a very slight green tinge to them when printed. I have an Epson photo print and print just in greyscale. Is this where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,
    Debbie.

BOB S
    22 Oct 2004 - 10:58 AM

Debbie,

See my post above yours !

BOB

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.