Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

B&W or colour?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Sandgrouse
Sandgrouse e2 Member 7407 forum postsSandgrouse vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2011 - 9:15 PM

Certain images can work better in B&W than colour and vice versa. The idea of this thread is for you to upload a colour and B&W version of the same image, tell us which version you prefer and why.

As many of us are trying to improve our B&Ws it would be helpful if you could briefly explain how you processed/converted your image.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jan 2011 - 9:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sandgrouse
Sandgrouse e2 Member 7407 forum postsSandgrouse vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2011 - 9:17 PM

Tunnel vision

twins.jpg

This is the tunnel that runs under the Thames at Greenwich. This is a 3 shot HDR processed using photomatix and worked and converted to B&W using Photoshop elements v5. When I took the shot it was always going to be a B&W, however once I processed it I really liked the warm tones of the tiles and silver door. For me the colour shot is the stronger image.

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3216 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2011 - 10:32 PM

Great Idea for discussion!
I agree regarding the warmth of the colour image but the mono version works as well but in a more graphical sense (if that makes any sense)
Bill

Last Modified By chavender at 27 Jan 2011 - 10:37 PM
monstersnowman
27 Jan 2011 - 10:35 PM

Personally I prefer the B&W but that is probably because the other actually seems more a sepia toned image than colour and I am almost never a fan of sepia toning. The impact of the mono certainly comes across more on my screen.

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3216 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2011 - 10:53 PM

This is a restaurant in Carcassone.
Whilst the colour image could be tweaked to look OK, to me it cries out for mono. Mainly due to the textures and tones which I feel are a bit lost in colour.Although the warmth of the stone could be enhanced.
Processed in Lightroom 3 with mid tones and contrast increased and a vignette applied. chez-saska-colour.jpgchez-saskia3.jpg

Last Modified By chavender at 27 Jan 2011 - 11:09 PM
KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2011 - 12:03 AM

While the colour image is ok it has nothing to insist on colour while the B&W is entirely different with lots of texture giving impact.

Sandgrouse
28 Jan 2011 - 6:51 AM

The details and textures really comes out in the B&W

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2011 - 2:52 PM

Not too sure about this one but I think the colour version is the one I prefer.

-dsc1268-canal-de-la-robine.jpg

1--dsc1268-canal-de-la-robine.jpg

JamesGarfield
28 Jan 2011 - 3:07 PM

These are from a recent shoot, whilst i like the colour version i truly prefer the B&W. B&W seems to give a picture more meaning or more mystery, perhaps it's because i'm old and can remember when everything was in B&W??

5s1k0811bwds.jpg5s1k0811ds.jpg

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2011 - 3:31 PM

I think I agree with you there James, but you've done a damned fine job on the colour version as well.
Malcolm

MeanGreeny
28 Jan 2011 - 3:38 PM

FWIW, one of the main themes of my website is to promote monochrome by allowing people to compare it to the colour versions. Colour in the left galleries, mono in the right.

Linky

JamesGarfield
28 Jan 2011 - 4:12 PM

Thanks Malcom

Quote: one of the main themes of my website is to promote monochrome by allowing people to compare it to the colour versions

I'm never really sure whether that's a good idea or not and I mean no disrespect to yourself when I say that. I don't know how you feel but I have found that when it comes down to sales if I give the client too much choice by showcasing the shoot in colour & B&W then it actually confuses them and I seem to get less orders from it, where as if I just choose which ones to showcase in B&W or Colour the picking process seems to go a lot better. Does anyone else have that same problem or is it just me??

Sandgrouse
28 Jan 2011 - 11:02 PM

Anchor Mill
twins-2.jpg

Anchor Mill, in paisley, renfrewshire. This is a 3 shot HDR processed using photomatix and worked and converted to B&W using Photoshop elements v5. I like both versions but prefer the building in colour but the waterfalls and stone in B&W

dcash29
dcash29  91916 forum posts England
28 Jan 2011 - 11:10 PM

My opinion

1. Tunnel - either
2. Restaurant - B & W
3. Trees and Balustrade - B & W
4. Violinist - B & W
5. Mill - either

MeanGreeny
28 Jan 2011 - 11:13 PM

Quote: I'm never really sure whether that's a good idea or not and I mean no disrespect to yourself when I say that. I don't know how you feel but I have found that when it comes down to sales if I give the client too much choice by showcasing the shoot in colour & B&W then it actually confuses them and I seem to get less orders from it, where as if I just choose which ones to showcase in B&W or Colour the picking process seems to go a lot better. Does anyone else have that same problem or is it just me??

James,

In my case, I don't sell my pictures but it's been my experience that when you ask someone whether they prefer one or the other they very, very rarely look confused and can't decide :o)

Most people have a definite opinion on the subject and you're gonna hear it - especially if you've asked for it

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.