Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

B&W or Monochrome

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
keith selmes
8 Aug 2010 - 12:33 PM

I don't have a darkroom. I noticed that Retrophotographic had Printing Out Paper, which can be developed in sunlight, so I tried contact printing large format with that.
later on, Retro disappeared, but also Ilford took over and closed down the only factory making POP.
So this year I found an on line craft shop selling blueprint paper, Cyanotype that is.

POP produces shades from pale pink through to angry magenta, unless toned. Gold toning produces a sort of soft grey shade.
Cyanotype prints are in shades of blue.

Consequently, although I might think of my negatives as B&W, none of my chemical prints ever have been, and I would call them monochrome.

In the picture which I hope is uploading properly, two sample prints have been toned with gold chloride, the others are POP au naturel at various exposures to sunlight

.dcp-4148e.jpg

Last Modified By keith selmes at 8 Aug 2010 - 12:38 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Aug 2010 - 12:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
8 Aug 2010 - 12:40 PM

Oh sh** I've joined another group.

I thought this was film group.

We have a special group for B&W ?

The only B&W I do is digital. Roll on Platinum. I'll get there one day.

User_Removed
8 Aug 2010 - 12:57 PM

Quote: Oh sh** I've joined another group.

Are you accidentally turning into a Group tart? Wink

Quote: I thought this was film group.

Interesting - was there somewhere in your mind that equates B&W with film? Tongue (That's sort of the theme of another thread.)

Quote: We have a special group for B&W ?

We most certainly do - very special it is too.

Quote: The only B&W I do is digital.

Me too, now.

Interesting post - and welcome to the Black & White Group.

keith selmes
8 Aug 2010 - 1:31 PM

Quote: was there somewhere in your mind that equates B&W with film?

Of course Grin

Usually my B&W digital is more B&W than grey scale. However you can easily tint any colour so it might come out better with a brownish colour or the infamous Sepia that usually isn't Sepia.

("infamous" - people often refer to old photos as Sepia when they're actually faded or resulting from other process that isn't sepia)

So B&W might be a handy phrase, but I do tend to think of B&W film rather than B&W output, partly because it says Black and White negative film on the box.

Even though the negatives are usually more sort of Black and Black. See picture. This ones not strictly film though. "Through a glass, darkly"

-mg-2696ae.jpg

Last Modified By keith selmes at 8 Aug 2010 - 1:32 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2010 - 2:16 PM

That SilverFX sounds like a good piece of s/ware - problem is, I'm using CS(0), and the newest version isn't compatible.
Is there an archive product available for older PS versions?

User_Removed
8 Aug 2010 - 2:23 PM

Quote: Is there an archive product available for older PS versions?

Not that I'm aware - you'd have to contact Nik software on that, though it's doubtful.

It runs on CS2 or above, but will also work with Elements 5 or above.

User_Removed
8 Aug 2010 - 2:25 PM

[quote]So B&W might be a handy phrase, but I do tend to think of B&W film rather than B&W output, partly because it says Black and White negative film on the box./quote]

I think that sums it up well.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2010 - 10:08 AM

Quote: ......partly because it says Black and White negative film on the box.

e.g. '100Tmax black & white negative film'

And good stuff it is too!
jas Wink

User_Removed
10 Aug 2010 - 2:08 PM

Quote: 100Tmax black & white negative film

There's something about the quality of different films that was part of the film experience. Silver Efex offers film emulation for a range of different popular films. I can't say I've really looked seriously at them. I'd be interested to see whether they can capture something of the original.

It is interesting that these programs still clearly have their roots in B&W film.

Just Jas
11 Aug 2010 - 11:30 AM

Quote: There's something about the quality of different films that was part of the film experience. Silver Efex offers film emulation for a range of different popular films

My first film scanner offered different settings for different makes and types of film.

Although I never explored this feature fully it did say something to me about film and digital.

MrDennis
MrDennis  5220 forum posts Wales
18 Aug 2010 - 7:37 PM

Silver Efex works very well in simulateing film. Yes they do look like the films that are in there, provideing you use the correct printing paper which can turn out expensive in the long run.
My other Fav progy is BW Styler v1.01 (not upgraded that one). In fact, I find myself useing this one more and more. It has ALL the films plus the old types of photography Color Tone like,
Bromoil, collodion, Copper, Cyanotype, Daguerreotype, Gold, Sepia and many more. Also has Lith of which I use from time to time. Plus all the Developing times & Paper Grade etc., Oh Yea! and the Film Grain and ND filters..PLUS many more things within it to do your B&W. Great Program.

Film Scanners! The biggest misstake most of us made in useing those was that we scanned our B&W negs in as B&W instead of Colour. Took me ages to find out I was doing it wrong.
After I got rid of mine I discovered the program "Vuescan" so I use it for my Flatbed Scanner now. Great little progy that is as well.

Now WHO said film cost more than Digital??? I'm begining to think they were wrong. Hands up those who have stopped buying add ons with their PC's and Camera gear.
I keep saying enough is enough, but I still find I'm buying something every other month. Still, It is cheeper than being in the Pub every night. Smile

Be Good.

Just Jas
19 Aug 2010 - 9:59 AM

Quote: Now WHO said film cost more than Digital??? I'm beginning to think they were wrong.

Wasn't me!

Quote: Hands up those who have stopped buying add ons with their PC's and Camera gear.

With the acquisition of a decent flat bed scanner and a LAN Back Up unit I thought that we were there.

However, the DVD writer packed up so here we go again.

However, I have started shooting colour pos, colour neg, B&W neg in 120, B&W 35mm and scanning it in.

35mm colour pos I still take to Boots. Scan in any prints that I need in digital form.

I am not sure that any advantages of the film emulsions are still there after the conversion to digital via the scanner, it is a long way round of doing things, but I like using the film cameras especially the TLR. Scanning does avoid the high cost of 120 prints, B&W or colour, however.

The film camera + B&W film does seem to be to right way to shoot B&W to me.

Notice that in all the rambling above I have only used the term "B&W".

That seems to be the right way, also, to me. Wink

minimalistphotography

I tend to use all the terms interchangeably. Have never used Silver Effex. Anyone in a position to say how it compares to Adobe Lightroom?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.