Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Back in the photographic world......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hornchurch
    7 Oct 2011 - 6:34 PM

Hi after a fair few months of thinking about it and saving up for it, I bought a canon 60d and a 17-40 l lense....... I have not taken a photo with a slr camera for about 6 years or so digital slr cameras are all new to me.......

so I hope one or 2 of you in here can answer a few questions for me......

1 a screen protecror for the swivel.. screen is it vital...??

2 what level of sharpening should I use in camera...... if any at all

3 any recomendations on a tripod including head for under 150 pounds....

4 I bought the camera from warehouse express and got a 8gb card and a large rucksack..... but I will need a smaller bag something that will carry the camera with the 17-40 attached and room for 1 or 2 other lenses any recomendations..???

5 on the menu for quality I take it you select the quality of the raw file and j peg file individually.... if you leave the cursor on the - on raw for example you just shoot jpegs...???

6 insurance......... out and about around Essex and london...... where can I get the camera insured for loss or damage.....

thanks in advance for any replies..... and when I get out and about I will upload a photo or 2 for some honest opinions...... Thanks David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2011 - 6:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2011 - 7:26 PM

Well, I wouldn't use in camera sharpening. You should sharpen for each end use, eg projection, big print, small print. As to bags, if you want that lot in, and two other lenses, you probably need a big one. But Lowepro make a couple which will also house your tripod and have a section for coat and sandwiches. Usually you can select different qualities of jpeg with your raw file. We insure with Photoguard, but best to compare cover and premiums.

Last Modified By SueEley at 7 Oct 2011 - 7:26 PM
    hornchurch
    8 Oct 2011 - 10:47 AM

hi sue, thanks for your reply......I think I will use best quality raw combined with a small small jpeg so I can quickly put those on the net....... spookily enough I have been looking at lowe pro..... at the moment just sitting at the table getting used to handling the camera and going through menus and settings ...... Thanks David

p.s will get a quote from photo guard

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91029 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2011 - 11:07 AM

Tripod-wise you can't go wrong with a Manfrotto. They have plenty of choice within that budget and have a handy 'configurator' on their website. Something like a 190XB with a 496RC2 head would probably be in budget (although you may find deals if you shop around).

Snapper
    Snapper  93656 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2011 - 1:45 PM

Ffordes have a couple of deals on Manfrotto tripods with heads at under 150, but you'll need a reasonable size head to take the weight of your D60 and 17-40.

RogBrown
    RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2011 - 3:52 PM

The Manfrotto 190XDB with 804RC2 head come under your budget at Warehouse Express.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45757 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2011 - 10:00 AM

1 - the screens nowadays are pretty robust, but I always like to add a screen protector. When the screen protector is on, I presume the screen will still fold away with the LCD facing the camera body
    2 - Test them all for yourself. If you shoot RAW the in-camera sharpening is irrelevant
    3 - I have the Manfrotto 190XPROB with the Manfrotto midi ball head. But there are so many considerations that it is hard to advise anything with reasonable confidence (how tall are you, are you carrying it hiking orwalking short distances from a car, do you do macro etc)
    4 - I would consider the Lowepro slingshot series (or similar) for general or a satchel type if round town (especially in a busy street).
    5 - I usually shoor RAW only but sometime RAW+JPEG
    6 - mine is on the household insurance. I made sure the body, lens etc were classed as separate items.

thermosoflask

Hi Dave I to recently bought 60d, and found the 8gig card to small the raw file is very large plus the 60d has hdr video , I bought a class 10 32gb card it made a big difference . Mymemory.com, 23.99 free postage. hope this helps. John.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.