Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Back up

I am running low on disc space because of my images. can any one tell me what i could back these images up on.

Thank you James...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
9 Mar 2014 3:06PM
2 x external hard drives or 1 x EHD + cloud seems to be the most used combos.
Dave_Canon 8 939 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2014 8:33PM
I am currently just backing up my data disk to another server on my home network. It is just over 0.5 T Bytes and has so far taken 9 hours with about 6 hours to go. I also back up to a 3 T Bytes external USB HDD though this is faster at only 6 hours. Not backing up is not an option as I have suffered disk failures in the past but never lost data yet.

Dave
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2014 9:42PM

Quote: It is just over 0.5 T Bytes and has so far taken 9 hours with about 6 hours to go. I also back up to a 3 T Bytes external USB HDD though this is faster at only 6 hours.

But surly that is just a one off thing - after that you can just do changes (an incremental backup) ?
bigpete 1 59 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2014 9:50PM
it may be worth investing in usb3 card and external drive considerably faster data transfer mkassive improvement over usb 2
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
9 Mar 2014 9:55PM

Quote:It is just over 0.5 T Bytes and has so far taken 9 hours with about 6 hours to go. I also back up to a 3 T Bytes external USB HDD though this is faster at only 6 hours.

But surly that is just a one off thing - after that you can just do changes (an incremental backup) ?

Jepp. I back up after every download from camera, then again after all tweaking in ps. Takes 10 mins tops.
Thank you for the advise it has help a lot Smile

James...
Dave_Canon 8 939 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2014 8:05AM

Quote:It is just over 0.5 T Bytes and has so far taken 9 hours with about 6 hours to go. I also back up to a 3 T Bytes external USB HDD though this is faster at only 6 hours.

Yes it could but I am just copying the entire disk content using Windows leaving the previous backup intact. I will delete the earliest of the two backups before next time. The form of the back is exactly as on the original so I could access individual files. In the past I have used special backup software which does incremental backups and used compression. This is, of course much quicker, but one is never certain that the files can be recovered until the crisis happens. So I have used various methods over the years and would not strongly promote one over the other but not backing up is certain to encourage a disk failure.

Dave
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2014 8:27AM
Blimey thats a lot more effort than I could ever be bothered with, I just have Allways Sync to copy to 2 separate drives and then Backblaze to copy those to the cloud. Once its setup it all happens automatically and I can forget about it Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.