Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Backing up

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carrerclan
14 Sep 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi
I'm recently back from a trip and have thousands of photos I am wanting to back up reliably.

I have been doing some research online but am still not sure which direction to go.

The photos are still on SD cards, while on the move I backed them up daily, by uploading them onto my Ipad.

Once home I then connected the said Ipad to my iMac and therefore have them stored on Iphoto (dare I say it I'm reluctant to trust this wholly)

As the Imac was new I purchased a new 2TB back up and have Timeline doing its stuff regularily backing up my data, but again have not yet found out how to check that all is being updated as it should.

I am, therefore, not yet happy...Before I clear my SD cards, which I would eventually like to do, I would like to make sure that all these photos are backed up in a separate place.

After my online research I have been considering:
1) something such as the Digital Foci Photo Safe II 320 GB
2) a second external hard drive exclusively for my photos. I have a new one that I used to back up my old laptop (not a Mac) but am worried that I should first remove that data and then reformat to use as Mac...as if I add the pics it will automatically reformat and I will loose my existing data...

I am only an amateur, (how obvious is that!) and still a beginner, but keen to keep hold of all my photos so any tips and feedback, will be readily accepted.
Thanking you in advance
Sally

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2012 - 12:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
14 Sep 2012 - 1:06 PM

I would be inclined to get a new external HDD (they're not particularly expensive these days) and back up all the photos onto that.

Although Time Machine is reliable in my experience, I view this more as a means to 'roll back' to a previous 'version' of a file or folder (hence the name). I also do a weekly 'clone' backup to external drives. In fact for a slightly raised paranoia level (important in my line of work Wink ) I alternate between two backup filesystems for my weekly clones, so that I'm never overwriting last weeks with the one for this week.

Backing up to a 'cloud' service or moving backup drives off site is also something to consider. The bottom line is, how important are these files to you? The more valuable they are, the more precautions you should take to protect them.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 14 Sep 2012 - 1:08 PM
hobbs
hobbs e2 Member 101222 forum postshobbs vcard United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 - 1:24 PM

I'd agree, time machine works well but it is more a roll back device but it makes sense to have a secondry external hard drive to back up you photographs to. As has already been said it's down to how important the files are to you. I really need to start looking at off site back - up a bit more seriously. I presently have all my client work back up off site but not my personnal stuff.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 1:41 PM

I toyed with the idea of buying external drives but calculated that I need to do this every year, so `cloud' backup was worth a comparison. On balance I went for the cloud service. I use Carbonite..costs between 30-40 per year but serves my purpose (I'm only an enthusiatic amateur too) Smile

AlexandraSD
14 Sep 2012 - 1:57 PM

There is no way on earth i could trust my images to some service!

You can pick up 32GB USB stick drives for less than a tenner, and a decent HD for about 40+!

I made the mistake of not backing up images a year ago, and i lost all my fashion and glamour work, thankfully i did back up the edits, but this was only about 1% of my images.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 2:25 PM

Quote: There is no way on earth i could trust my images to some service!

You can pick up 32GB USB stick drives for less than a tenner, and a decent HD for about 40+!

I made the mistake of not backing up images a year ago, and i lost all my fashion and glamour work, thankfully i did back up the edits, but this was only about 1% of my images.

agree but you're trusting your backup to a piece of hardware that may or may not fail...all a matter of risk. If it's a business, then, of course you should have two or 3 options

AlexandraSD
14 Sep 2012 - 2:36 PM

Oh definitely, i have several 32gb sticks, and i duplicate everything twice, now and then i burn them onto a cd but very rarely, and everything else is on an external hd, but there is nothing worse than finding all your images lost by some fault in the pc software (as mine did), and having 1 backup wont guarantee they will not be corrupted in some way when you come to retrieve them, so spread the images and files about as much as you can, better to have too many copies than not enough.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 2:49 PM

Buy one of these....

Look Here

And One of these....

Look here

Copy your images to both of the above.

Then put one of them into a " Safe Storage " .....Well at least something that is " Fire Proofed " .....!!!

Job done....Smile

If your really paranoid, Do the cloud thing to......Wink

Simples.....

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225738 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 12:33 PM

Quote: Do the cloud thing to......

Just invested in Iomega Home Media Network Drive Cloud Edition 2TB
Works fine with my existing 1TB Iomega NAS drive bought last year.

3TB of storage - switchable between the two units - BU using Karen's Replicator - runs overnight to a selected schedule and/or as required.

Backing up 4 desktops and and laptop.

Plus the CDs, of course, for each project.

Works for me.

CDSINUK
CDSINUK  2223 forum posts England
15 Sep 2012 - 6:13 PM

just to let you know guys, i had an iomega external drive, it stopped working it wouldnt connect, and disapeared from my computer drives list, 052.jpg so i took the drive itself out of the plastic cover removed the usb connection board attached, it just pulls off, and found out it connects dirctly to your computer via the dvd connection cable attached to the dvd drive, and the power lead also connects directly, just incase it ever happens to you it wasnt pretty but managed to get all the 8000 photos off it, just because the drive seems dead it isnt always the case,

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 15 Sep 2012 - 6:16 PM
CDSINUK
CDSINUK  2223 forum posts England
15 Sep 2012 - 6:17 PM

Quote: There is no way on earth i could trust my images to some service!

I made the mistake of not backing up images a year ago, and i lost all my fashion and glamour work, thankfully i did back up the edits, but this was only about 1% of my images.agree but you're trusting your backup to a piece of hardware that may or may not fail...all a matter of risk. If it's a business, then, of course you should have two or 3 options

alexandra SD have you still got the hard drive with your images on it ? ?

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 15 Sep 2012 - 6:19 PM
stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 6:22 PM

I use an external RAID for backup. Although it isn't a 'house burns down' solution, there is a lot of security in that individual drives that fail in the RAID are simply replaced and you don't lose data.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014027 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 7:16 PM

Quote: I use an external RAID for backup. Although it isn't a 'house burns down' solution, there is a lot of security in that individual drives that fail in the RAID are simply replaced and you don't lose data.

Depends if you use something in addition to the RAID drives or not, RAID in and of itself is not a backup solution.

I have seen RAID controllers fail and screw all the drives in the system.
In addition it gives you no protection against software failure and user cockup.
Not only will it not protect against your house burning down, it won't protect against someone spilling a cup of tea (or a pipe bursting) in to the RAID unit or a thief knicking the whole thing.

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2012 - 7:12 PM

Quote: or a thief knicking the whole thing

Fortunately, I have this very vicious dog.......Wink

Last Modified By stevie at 16 Sep 2012 - 7:14 PM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225738 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 11:28 PM

Quote: Fortunately, I have this very vicious dog

A friend of my has a dog that sings opera - unfortunately it doesn't Offenbach...! Wink

Nite All..! Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 25 Sep 2012 - 11:29 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.