Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Backup Software

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Stillbase
Stillbase  260 forum posts Wales
16 Mar 2013 - 8:21 AM

I'm currently using the Windows 7 backup program for backing up all my Libraries only on a daily basis onto a 2 TB external hard disk. After just 2 days it has used up nearly 1TB of disk space, takes several hours, slows the computer down to a crawl (even with i7 processors and 6GB Ram) and seems to be backing up files that haven't been altered.

Can anyone recommend a good back up program?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2013 - 8:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111914 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 - 9:25 AM

What you need to is backup software that offer incremental, differential or synchronised (mirror) backup.
Easeus ToDo Backup and SyncBack will do that. I'm sure there are others but these are 2 applications I've used myself.

Windows 7 backup if I remember rightly only does what is called a 'full backup'

for a basic explanation of backup types see this link BACKUP TYPES

Last Modified By redsnappa at 16 Mar 2013 - 9:48 AM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315563 forum posts England
16 Mar 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, I tried out Windows 7 backup once... for two days....

I use PC Backup Pro, on the recommendation of a friend, and it does "normal" backup (incremental, differential, full) and also plain old Copy type backup, which you can do in 2 directions to keep stuff synced. It works OK I suppose, but when I had a problem with it, I went to the forum on their website and it obviously hasn't been touched in 2 years, and there is no support whatsoever. In fact, it seems the developer has disappeared.

I use it to do Copy type backups on various folders every days (documents, music, images, work) and a full system backup once a month.

However, the problem I had with it, I consider very serious - if it fails a backup for whatever reason, it won't try that backup again until the problem is "cleared". But there appears to be no way of clearing a problem. And it doesn't tell you, other than a 3 second notification if you happen to be at the PC at the time, and a line in a log file.
I ended up having to delete the job and recreate it, then reschedule it.

If I can find a cheap alternative, I would try it out instead.

Stillbase
16 Mar 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thank you both for your comments. It looks to me as though I am going to have to pay to get suitable and reliable software - rather annoying. But on the other hand my 100 years or so of family photos are worth more to me than 40 or 50 for the backup program, so I'll have to bite the bullet.

Big Bri
16 Mar 2013 - 11:49 AM

What do you backup to? If you buy an external hard drive, you may find it comes with backup software included...

Chrism8
Chrism8  7744 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 12:11 PM

I've used " Allway Sync " for a number of years now, the initial Full backup takes a while, but then incremental one's take minutes ( depending how frequently you do them of course ) Smile

There's a Freebie version and a paid for version, cant recall exactly how much , but it's for a fortune, you can backup to as many drives as you wish and decide on exactly which folders and or files to back up

justin c
justin c  104522 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 1:39 PM

Quote: It looks to me as though I am going to have to pay to get suitable and reliable software - rather annoying.

Not necessarily. I use two programs, EZBackitup and SyncToy to backup approximately 5 or 6 TB to external hard drives and to a hard drive over a home network. Both programs have always performed flawlessly and once your backup settings have been configured correctly, both programs will do exactly what you ask of them.

Evertonian
16 Mar 2013 - 1:43 PM

Synctoy is a free incremental backup programme supplied FOC by Microsoft. Try a search for it.

Big Bri
16 Mar 2013 - 2:55 PM

You should try a few, if they have free trials. I didn't get on with Allway Sync, and I actually paid for Acronis True Image, which people rave about, and hated it, not least because of how often it crashed....

bigalguitarpicker

I use Synctoy too. Does all I need.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43856 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway24 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 4:29 PM

Synctoy is good. Have used it for 2-3 years now. After the first backup, it saves time by only backing up the changes since the previous one. But you have the option of choosing what it does each time.
Free too, so another plus.Smile

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 16 Mar 2013 - 4:30 PM
User_Removed
16 Mar 2013 - 10:45 PM

Sometimes you think files haven't been altered but metadata that gets saved to images and mp3s etc all change their modified date and Win backup will back these seemingly newer files up same as other backup software. Even a tiny change to a raw file can mean the whole file has to be backed up again.

Same goes if you move files or rename them though some backup software will ignore moved files

I found with Win7 that first backup would take overnight and half the next day (to external USB as they are slow drives to start with). The next backup would take only a few hours as it really is incremental.

I found things have improved with Windows 8 but I use a SATA drive hotplugged with a caddy on this new PC. The faster transfer speeds make all the difference in the world.

Stillbase
17 Mar 2013 - 8:39 AM

Once again, my thanks to all of you who have taken the time to try to help me.

User_Removed
17 Mar 2013 - 1:40 PM

You're welcome Smile

dandeakin
dandeakin  6200 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2013 - 6:25 PM

Synctoy is basic but world very well.

I tried acronis trueimage aswell as the bundled program that comes with western Digital drives and neither seemed to work with all the drives that I've got in use.

Decided it was better just to do it manually with Synctoy which always seems to work.

Last Modified By dandeakin at 17 Mar 2013 - 6:26 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.