Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Backup your data................NOW.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SimPick
SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 4:50 PM

Just got the verdict from the computer shop that my external hard drive is well and truly f****d. Was chock- full of important data - photos, over 4500 MP3's, emails, all the music I wrote, software that I downloaded (paid for) via the net, and loads more things that I am sure I will remember (and cry about) in the coming days. And it's all gone. The disk does not rotate anymore. Luckily I have copies of my photos on my desktop PC, but the rest is gone for good.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is - drop what you are doing right now, and go and backup EVERYTHING you need to disk. Do it before it happens to you. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the same as me. The silly thing is that I changed my PC so I copied all the old stuff over to the external drive, but never copied it back to my new PC, except my photos. Dumb I know, but you never think it will happen.

If anyone knows of a cheap company that can recover data, I would also appreciate that. But all I hear is very scary prices for disk recovery.

So, go and backup your stuff TODAY. It does happen.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2006 - 4:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
29 Jun 2006 - 5:21 PM

Sorry to hear your news Simon... Appreciate your post.

noseprints
noseprints  10576 forum posts
29 Jun 2006 - 5:25 PM

so sorry to hear it. you're right! i've been procrastinating, i should do it today!!

Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 5:44 PM

Sorry to hear that, the same happened to me last year, after we had a thunder storm during the night the next day I went to turn on my computer and it did not work no did half of the stuff in that socket, I lost everything and every digital picture I had taken up to that point.

I learnt my lesson and now back up my stuff to external hardrives.

Chris

lloydee
lloydee  10247 forum posts
29 Jun 2006 - 7:08 PM

sorry to hear that - prompted me to back-up all my stuff today

lloyd

tull
tull  11181 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jun 2006 - 7:42 PM

So sorry to hear that as I also have just done the same! It's so easy to do "I'll do it tomorrow" syndrome,if only!

Mark.

twordley
twordley  8360 forum posts England
29 Jun 2006 - 8:53 PM

can get u the name of reputable data recovery company if u still need it but average cost is around.......

r u sitting comfortably.........

800.00ish

they take your disk apart and rebuild it in another case

oooooh and of course there are no guarantees

best of luck

trev

SimPick
29 Jun 2006 - 9:14 PM

Thanks Trev. I heard the same. They have to take the disk out in a vaccuum area with no dust or other nasties floating around, and as you say, put it back in another casing. And I also heard that there is no gaurantee. Bugger. All the music I wrote has gone. I suppose I can contact the various companies I bought the software from, and they should let me download the software again and give me a licence key, but the data that has been lost is enough to make me slap myself for not backing up. Dont ya just love technology ? I wonder what a realistic life-expectancy for a digital photo is, given such unreliable disks - both internal/external computer disks and CD/DVD media.

Chris - This was an external drive that crashed, so I would make CD/DVD copies too if I were you. The guy in the shop said that it is caused by constant turning on and off, and eventually something gives. Mine was only 4 years old, so I expected a good few more years out of it yet. Just shows.

timiano
timiano  10894 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jun 2006 - 9:42 PM

Its like:

Driving around without insurance
Owning a house without insurance
Having a family without life insurance

If its important, back it up.

If you don't back it up, you're retarded. Simple.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jun 2006 - 11:36 PM

Hopefully formats like Blu-Ray will make double backing up a bit easier - with Blu-Ray disks' capacity of (initially) 25Gb and ultimately 50Gb.

You will need far fewer disks to back up an external hard drive.

jonjeds
jonjeds  10509 forum posts
30 Jun 2006 - 12:38 AM

Been there. Fortunately I managed to recover most of the data but it was very scary. Apart from personal stuff I would have lost a lot of business stuff. (thousands of hours of CAD drawings)

I now have three disks (two internal and one external) which auto backs up daily or any other time by double clicking an icon on my desktop. (using Genie Backup Manager - brilliant litttle programme) It takes about a minute to update data onto both disks. I also run Trueimage once a week.

I recovered my disk with a prog called 'Recover it all professional' - which cost about $99.00 online. Initially the disk would not run. I bought another disk of the same make and switched the printed circuit board over. This got it going but it would not run normally because some of the data was corrupted. Presumably due to the shorting out which caused the original problem. After having no luck with several programmes I came across RIA which got about 98% back.

UserRemoved
30 Jun 2006 - 5:09 AM

I've had a certain limited success with rescuing data (luckily, never been my own!).

Defo worth taking it to an enthusiast's shop as it could be just needing a prod to get spinning or, as John has done, a swap of the board

SimPick
30 Jun 2006 - 11:06 AM

Quote: If you don't back it up, you're retarded. Simple.

That was nice. Thanks for that.

Jonjeds - Thanks very much indeed for the info. That is something that I must try and do. I have too much important stuff on there to just throw away.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114509 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2006 - 11:26 AM

Quote: If you don't back it up, you're retarded. Simple.

Not everyone has the facilities, computer know how or the right kit to make back ups, so calling someone a retard seems a little un-necessary.

It's true though if you have sensitive data that's valuable, be it financial, personal or sentimental, back-ups are indeed a necessary evil. I have an external HD myself, but I still back everything up to 2 DVD's just in case. Why two? Just in case I get a corrupted DVD, it's happened before and I lost everything, be it only 4.7Gb worth.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, not something you wish to hear right now I'm sure Simpick. But it's worthwhile pointing out to other members who are not so computer savvy the reasons why others back up the way they do I'm sure.

Ade

NickdeBug
NickdeBug  9391 forum posts
30 Jun 2006 - 11:27 AM

Okay, having established above that I am probably a retard, please could some kind soul suggest a good method of backing up my data. I am not talking about buying external hardrives for the moment, so please advise accordingly.

Technical jargon will go straight over my head with an impressive Whooooooossshh! as I am not an IT expert.

Many thanks!

Nick

EDIT - just missed Ade's post - well said fella!!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.