Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Bad August great Autumn!

cliff449 6 8 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2008 7:40PM
Does anyone know if there is a reason why the Autumn colours in the last 2 years have been so spectacular, is it the wet August?

I went to Stourhead (National Trust near Warminster)yesterday, the colours there were tremendous. Even at home though the trees and leaves are really good.

Will upload an image from Stourhead tomorrow.

Cliff

P.S. Anyone else been to decent Autumnal locations

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious e2
7 1.3k 5 England
29 Oct 2008 7:55PM
No idea why, i notice that the most vibrant colours can be found after rain, whilst being nice and sunny, like today in 'lovely' Bedford.
Went for a walk through old warden, Bedfordshire today after work. An old village with aged trees and old architecture. Colours were beautiful. Then it got dark at 5 :-( Booo!

Anil.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2008 7:59PM
The colours up here on the edge of the peak are not as good as last year by a long way, dont understand it, a lot of trees are not turning at all. even the birches are dissapointing. the beeches seem to be doing ok though,
Phil
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2008 11:09PM
okay, well here goes...
Using New England as an example, the fall colours are at their peak when the daily highs are about fifteen celsius and the nights drop below zero. The high temperatures raises pressure within the trees, and allow the sap to flow freely into the leaves. Because the temperatures drop so quickly, the sap slows, and the sugars in it crystalise within the leaves, causing cellular damage and wonderful colouring.
So whilst the wet summer has helped with sap production, it's the high temperature variation from day to night which causes the saturation in the leaves.
cliff449 6 8 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2008 8:19AM
Thanks for the explanation.

Present weather conditions (high winds and rain) mean we wont have much longer to take pictures i geuss.

Cliff
I was at Talkin Tarn the other day - the colours aren't a patch on last year and lots of the trees have no leaves at all - guess the gales a week or so ago put paid to those.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.