Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bad Wedding Photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2010 - 2:32 PM

It was certainly a good thing that none of the shots the OP took on the day needed to be deleted, a 100% shutter to print success rate is a feat indeed, well done & great for the couple

Did you ever find out where the ‘pro’ actually was when he was apparently on holiday?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Oct 2010 - 2:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bronny
bronny  1048 forum posts
15 Oct 2010 - 11:42 PM

I was asked by a friend to photograph their wedding, and reluctantly took on the job. I had photographed three other weddings for friends before that, with each seeing the work I had done before. It's all rather terrifying and responsible and I wouldn't fancy it as a job, but since I said I'd do it I made sure I did good research of the location, taking weather into account etc. The location was a very nice hotel down on the south coast and while poking around the hotel I picked up a CD from a pile that a photographer had left for marketing on the hotel reception. I thought I could pick up some tips from a pro but I was pretty disgusted by his work - and this was supposedly his good stuff!! He didn't straighten the images, his converted B&W were wishy washy, and of course lots of trees out of heads. I was embarrassed to watch his video with tacky, poor quality images and puke inducing music and think people might pay for that crap.

This has to be down to the ease with which people can pick up digi cameras and claim to be pro because it's cheaper to take lots and lots of photos and just delete the really crap ones. No care is taken to take decent photos, never mind printing on decent paper that won't fade in a year. I'm not making any claims of my awe inspiring work but it was better this his, and I knew when I handed over a CD of images, and a couple of sepia toned paper prints that they'd still be able to see them in at least a decades time.

So eightball I don't think either your or my experience is that unusual, unfortuantely.
B

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Oct 2010 - 11:54 PM

What always bugs me is that the people who hire these cowboy togs are usually happy with the results, they don't seem to have ever seen decent photography.

bronny
bronny  1048 forum posts
16 Oct 2010 - 12:12 AM

Perhaps until you get to see crap next to something good you don't realize how much better it can be? Or at least that there are different styles?

Still doesn't excuse these cowboys producing cheap crap though. Wonder how much he charged.....

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2010 - 12:30 AM

Quote: What always bugs me is that the people who hire these cowboy togs are usually happy with the results, they don't seem to have ever seen decent photography.

You also have to remember many of these people (not all though) are in the lower budget line - the pro photographer rates are just too far above what they can afford along with all the other fees and costs of even a cheap wedding. So the fact that they get get any shots at all often makes up (in their minds) for the slight lesser quality if they were compared say to a top line photographer.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2010 - 9:11 AM

Quote: What always bugs me is that the people who hire these cowboy togs are usually happy with the results, they don't seem to have ever seen decent photography.

Or they just wanted a few snaps to record the day. I don't remember being too bothered about the photographer for my wedding, as long as he didn't cut anyones head off it was fine.

No point in taking great photos of ugly people Wink

Phil1958
Phil1958  5272 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2010 - 10:33 PM

I was a guest at at a wedding in Manchester a couple of years ago. The official tog was from somewhere in Shropshire and his style frightened me especially his group shots in the church grounds. Instead of getting people in the usual groups, he had us all dotted around the church yard in casual groups then launched this long pole (20-30' high) with a compact on top connected to an eye level view finder on the pole. To say the results were out of focus would be an understatement - you couldn't even call them "soft focus" and the camera was bobbing around on top of the pole not because it was windy but because it was so unstable at the top of the pole. Then to top it all, at the reception he was taking one particular set of shots and later lost the disc with them all on - no backup. Luckily I'd taken a few shots at the same time which saved that part of the day at least.

swanseamale47
29 Oct 2010 - 10:59 AM

Sadly money talks, the chances are this guy was cheap, people will turn a bit of a blind eye to save a few quid "I know he's not very good Mildred but he only charges £99" etc etc. They don't look too closely, and with someone who is a good sales person can bluff a bit as well, the trouble starts after the wedding when they take a good look at the pics they have and realise they are rubbish.
I have to confess I'm supprised you hadn't sussed the bloke out after doing 5 weddings with him, I have worked with a number of other togs and can usually tell after one wedding if they are any good or not.
Wayne

PhilipHowe
8 Sep 2011 - 10:32 AM

I know a top photographer, and I mean top, most of you will probably have heard of him. He shoots all his weddings (serious money spent) in jpeg and P mode on his Canon 1D.

Ask yourself a question, who knows the most about exposure, you, with 40 years experience, or a £2000+ state of the art camera setup which performs hundreds if not thousands of exposure calculations per millisecond to correctly expose an image.

His experience tells him when P mode will not give a perfect shot, so moves to manual.

For reference, I used P mode after he told me this for a walkabout shoot I did and everything was spot on. I don't use it anymore, I use Av mode most of the time (Canon 5D).

I think, as alluded to here, photography is about light and composition. If something else handles the light, you can get on with the composition.

thewilliam
8 Sep 2011 - 1:55 PM

Lobsterboy, I have to take issue with your statement: "No point in taking great photos of ugly people"

As a portrait photographer, I feel it's my professional responsibility to look for, find and portray the beauty that's within the people who come to my studio, however conventionally "ugly" they might be.

Any fool can take snaps of a stunning model!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 8 Sep 2011 - 1:56 PM
User_Removed
8 Sep 2011 - 2:12 PM

I'm sure he was joking when he wrote that.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 2:26 PM

Quote: I'm sure he was joking when he wrote that.

i think he was too.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 3:07 PM

Quote:
Ask yourself a question, who knows the most about exposure, you, with 40 years experience, or a £2000+ state of the art camera setup which performs hundreds if not thousands of exposure calculations per millisecond to correctly expose an image.

Me, because the camera still wants to make all the snow grey Tongue

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 3:42 PM

Only I know how I want my photos exposed.... the camera certainly doesnt

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 6:01 PM

I wonder if its worthwhile to try a few wedding photographer's out before the big day.

Get them to shoot you for 20-30 mins on both their main and backup camera in say a local park or outside a library etc. Gives you a final chance to be sure. What would this be £300 with 10 cool prints?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.