Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

baffled

30 May 2011 12:44PM
I have a pentax k-x, I only bought it a few days ago. I had a nikon D50 but only ever used it in auto which was a bit of a waste. When i put my pentax into M mode There is a meter thing that sort of goes -3 2 1|1 2 3+ and it always seems to go right over to -3 and flashes red. I can change the ISO speed and shutter speed ect... but cant find how to adjust this. My shots seem to come out dark and im a completely novice so im at a loss here.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 e2
8 753 14 England
30 May 2011 1:49PM
Hi Suzy,

" M " is manual mode, leave the ISO on 200, put the shutter speed on something like 1/125th sec and then adjust the aperture dial throu 5,6 / 8 / 11 / 13 etc until you get the correct exposure.

The correct exposure is a relationship between the shutter speed and the lens aperature, there is no ideal setting that covers all, if you open on up, you'll need to close of slow the other one down.

HTH

Chris
30 May 2011 1:55PM
I haven't got a Pentax, but if it's anything like a Canon, I think it's telling you that the current aperture/shutter speed/ISO setting in Manual mode is too slow. Try increasing the aperture/decreasing the shutter speed/increasing the ISO until the meter goes to the middle - this should give you the correct exposure.
johnriley1uk e2
10 26 4 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2011 4:14PM
It's the manual exposure readout you're looking at. It indicates from -3 stops (underexposure) to +3 stops (overexposure) and the centre point is correct exposure. So, use the back wheel to adjust the aperture and then, holding down the +- button use the wheel again to adjust the shutter speed (or vice versa depending how it's set up) until the bar graph is centered.

It's probably easier to start with for you to use P until you get to grips with the camera controls.

A book on basic photographic technique would be a good place to start.
2 Jun 2011 9:36AM
thanks for the replies everyone. When I read the manual is said that the EV setting cant be manually set when on M mode
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
2 Jun 2011 12:07PM
EV is short for Exposure Value and is determined by the camera's light meter based on the ISO setting and the amount of light in the scene you are photographing. It isn't something that you would alter, since it is a measurement of the amount of light required by the sensor to form an image.

You then adjust the shutter speed and aperture to achieve the EV that the camera has determined will give a "correct" exposure.
ISO is the sensitivity to light that the camera uses to measure the scene. i.e How much light do I need to get a correct exposure.
The amount of light that you let the camera deliver to the sensor is determined by the combination of aperture (the size of the hole that light enters the camera) and the shutter speed (the length of time that the hole is open). If you make the hole smaller, you need to leave it open longer to let the same amount of light in. If you make the hole larger you need to leave it open for a shorter time to let the same amount of light in.

In Manual mode - you adjust both the aperture and shutter speed until your meter reads 0.
In Aperture Priority mode - you adjust the aperture only and the camera adjusts the shutter speed for you to give 0 on the light meter reading.
In Shutter Priority mode - you adjust the shutter speed only and the camera adjusts the aperture for you to give 0 on the light meter reading.

If you adjust the ISO, you are telling the camera to use a different sensitivity to measure how much light is "correct," and this willl give a different EV for each different ISO you use in the same conditions.
Low ISO (say 100) means that the camera needs more light to achieve a "correct" exposure than with a high ISO (say 800).
This in turn means that a different combination of aperture and shutter speed will be required.

HTH

Bill
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
2 Jun 2011 1:21PM

Quote:Thanks for the replies everyone. When I read the manual is said that the EV setting cant be manually set when on M mode

You sure it isn't saying that the EV compensation cannot be altered in manual mode i.e. you cannot force the meter to over or under read as you may want to in an auto mode (AP/SP/Program) to allow the camera to correctly expose the image as you desire.

In Manual mode you would just set the aperture and/or speed to over or under as per the -3 2 1|1 2 3+ scale e.g. if you wanted to compensate for an over light sky unbalancing the reading.
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
2 Jun 2011 2:09PM
That sounds very likely, 66tricky!
Must admit, I hadn't thought of that slant!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.