Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Banks Behaving Badly

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6691 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 10:47 AM

It was my birthday on Saturday and Martin bought me an Olympus E3 - then had to tell me that it was actually his! He had ordered it in plenty of time but his bank had decided that the payment may be fraudulent and cancelled it, without letting him know. Just wonder if he would have admitted it if he hadn't forgotten to put the instruction book back in the box (well I am female and we do tend to read them!).

I've had my debit card declined in the supermarket before now for the same reason, very embarrassing in a long queue!

The day did get better though, he threw me a surprise party, aided and abetted by the kids, and managed to get me to a hall beautifully decorated and full of family and friends without me having the first idea what was going on. A big thank you to all of them for making reaching the age where I get a bus pass a wonderful experience.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jun 2010 - 10:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 11:07 AM

The Banks & Credit card companies are all tightening up on security, This is one of the side effects of such actions, Unfortunately....Sad

However its a whole lot better than getting ripped off, So I guess its an inconvenince we will all have to bare with....Smile

Belated happy birfday to you.....Shame it was not a D3.....Wink

Artois
    Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 11:53 AM

I had my card declined when paying for my late husbands funeral. The reason - unusual spending pattern, lol. Can laugh about it now but very traumatic at the time.
    Stella
    ps belated happy birthday

Last Modified By Artois at 7 Jun 2010 - 11:54 AM
    joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 12:01 PM

Well, I for one am happy that the banks are taking a tougher stance. Recently, I discovered that my card was blocked and phoned the bank to enquire why. Turned out that there were some dodgy transactions that were nothing to do with me. The bank were on it so quickly that the total loss was a mere 200 - all of which they will refund. I now have a new card and a resolution to be more careful with it when I order stuff online....

Last Modified By joolsb at 7 Jun 2010 - 12:02 PM
    MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91068 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 12:10 PM

Me too, I had my credit card stopped whilst in China a couple of years back. There were two transactions for 1 had appeared on my account which I was told was usually the precourser to something larger and was the usual way of testing to see if anyone noticed. I didn't even lose the 2.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113104 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 1:19 PM

I had mine stopped about a year ago. After checking someone had got hold of my details and bought 2200 of car insurance and 2 30.00 Orange pay as you go top ups!

It would appear that they cloned my card and tried it by making a donation to a charity shop but it failed so they went online.

Ken

ps, got all the money back.

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    7 Jun 2010 - 1:31 PM

A colleague at work had some fraudulent expenditure on his debit card. Recognising this extra spending his bank increased his overdraft limit!

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 1:58 PM

Part of the problem is that the system is setup and controled centrally, not by your local bank. It used to be if you were going to spend a lot you'd pop in and have a chat with your local bank manager and if you were going to touch your overdraft again you'd be in to talk to them about it (or they would request you come talk to them first).

These days its all dealt with by people you never see - so odd spending habbits are even harder to notice.

Last Modified By Overread at 7 Jun 2010 - 1:59 PM
    triumphv8
    triumphv8  7450 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Jun 2010 - 3:03 PM

Try this :-

Book a flight, hire car and Hotel on line witihn 10 mins - card restricted- 3 internet transactions in quick succession.

Land in Budapest, drive to Romania, spend the day there, then travel to Slovakia - card restricted - transactions from multiple countries

But....... have had 3 occasions of fraud covering about 1200 (which they covered) so I always carry a spare card incase I find it cancelled when I'm rushing to check out of a hotel at some unearthly hour to catch a flight and find it cancelled, and they are getting pretty good at calling me to check where I am if they see something suspicious and can re-activate immediately.

devlin
    devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 3:46 PM

i guess its worth the inconvenience if it protects you from fraud ultimately...IMHO nothing beats cash in hand at the end of the day..what you dont have you wont spend Smile

franken
    franken e2 Member 113104 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 4:04 PM

I always tell my bank if and where I'm travelling to abroad and for how long. Not had a problem abroad.

Ken

ps, unless that's where my card was cloned?

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 4:11 PM

Quote: I guess its worth the inconvenience if it protects you from fraud ultimately...IMHO nothing beats cash in hand at the end of the day..what you dont have you wont spend Smile

Unfortunately in the UK Cash is not that good in places, very difficult to buy online as well

devlin
    devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 4:24 PM

Quote: Unfortunately in the UK Cash is not that good in places, very difficult to buy online as well

Its getting like that here in India as well slowly and steadily Smile.....though the concept of a Debit card is more popular...

roxpix
    roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2010 - 5:00 PM

I had a telephone transaction declined for similar reason the Bank explained it as a ' High Risk Vendor' in other words they had had numerous complaints re the business I was attempting to transact with, with respect to unautorised payment requests.................the business?...........................very very large mobile phone company!!

chris.maddock
    7 Jun 2010 - 5:39 PM

O2 perchance?
    If so, I'm not surprised, they seem to be the most prevalent of the complaints I've seen for test transactions before the fraudsters go for a big one.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.