Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bargh Humbug

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:08 PM

Christmas is a great way to break up a miserable winter, to remind the family you care for them (or not), often get a few days off work, and indulge in things you might not normally or even reconsider if religion is good or bad. Sure there is loads of bah humbug and it starts commercially way to early but without it our world would be a duller place. And anyway sometimes epZ gives christmas presents Smile

"Happy Christmas all you party optmists out there" , he says walking out the room humming jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the .......

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 23 Nov 2011 - 1:09 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Nov 2011 - 1:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111550 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:11 PM

Quote: Christmas is a great way to break up a miserable winter

But it doesn't break it up. That's just the point. It begins in October and gears up through November all the way up to Dec 25th. Then on Dec 26th you can buy the same goods at half the price.

franken
franken e2 Member 123135 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:16 PM

And as soon as it's all over we are bombarded with holiday adverts that keep us entertained until the Easter eggs hit the shops! Smile

Last Modified By franken at 23 Nov 2011 - 1:18 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111550 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:17 PM

Quote: And as soon as it's all over we are bombarded with holiday adverts

Yeah, bloody summer, I hate it Tongue

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:22 PM

Yep - I love Christmas day - the spirit of it and the time with friends and family - but it's all clearly out of hand when you walk into a shop or pub in mid October and the Christmas tree + dreadful jingly music is out already.

Quote: That's your own fault, not the retailers.

I think that sums it up though - it'll only change if we as consumers vote with our feet and spread our spending rather than going absolutely mental on Christmas then being skint for six months. Retailers do what they know brings them more cash. Presumably Christmas only starts in October in the high street because shoppers vote for that with increased spending as soon as Christmas lights come out. Sadly.

Last Modified By newfocus at 23 Nov 2011 - 1:23 PM
User_Removed
23 Nov 2011 - 1:28 PM

The songs are shocking, they were playing that crap yesterday in one shop and I had to leave early.

It can be such a gloomy horrible time of year that I'm actually quite happy to see early lights and decorations! I never thought I'd say that.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:44 PM

It wouldn't be so bad if we had good weather for the 2 weeks but usually that is crap too and everyone is just stuck indoors for days on end watching crap TV.....but not this year. Troodos Mountains for me.

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:58 PM

The last few years there's been plenty of snow over Christmas near me, or at least some good frosty days - no good if you're trying to get to work but fantastic as long as you're off.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 1:59 PM

Three boxed sets of DVDs have just arrived, so I don't need to watch Christmas TV! Wink

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
23 Nov 2011 - 2:01 PM

Quote: Cobblers

Hey! That's MY word!!

p.s. if you could check back through my posts going back years, you'd see it was.....really.

What? You don't believe me?

Well .........COBBLERS! then.....eh? Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96308 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 2:01 PM

Quote: and everyone is just stuck indoors for days on end watching crap TV..

Then for those that are not going abroad why not come along to the 8th Annual BWC Meet

Has been a good day out previously so I see no reason why this year should be any different Smile

Last Modified By JJGEE at 23 Nov 2011 - 2:01 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56476 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 2:06 PM

And Christmas marks the time when the nights start getting shorter. Only 4 weeks to go Grin

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 2:23 PM

Quote: And Christmas marks the time when the nights start getting shorter.

Longer.

Typo?
Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 2:24 PM

Quote: but not this year. Troodos Mountains for me.

Troodos mountains is good - all the locals go up into the snow - they build snow men on the front of their cars. It was very festive, but not trashy like ours, that's reserved for the hotels filled with Brits abroad, egg, chips... and stuffing.

Last Modified By Pete at 23 Nov 2011 - 2:24 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2011 - 2:27 PM

Quote: but not trashy like ours, that's reserved for the hotels filled with Brits abroad, egg, chips... and Taylors.

Couldn't resist.
Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.