Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Basic kit must haves

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
31 Oct 2012 4:48PM
For portraits of kids, yes and no, a tripod will not be of much use when there running around, but there great for posed portraits, and you can move your eye from the viewfinder.

I added a light meter, it is so underrated and makes for a superb learning tool.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

31 Oct 2012 5:00PM

Quote:I'm really interested by the number of recommendation for a tripod. Definitely an item to own for most kinds of photography but would you really use one for the type of photography that's currently in Nic's portfolio? I would say it would be far too restrictive.

Totally agree with you Pete. The only time i use a tripod when shooting portraits is when i am shooting medium format, but even then the camera ends up coming off the tripod after a while. Its much better to be free to move around than be bolted to the spot
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
31 Oct 2012 5:03PM
In a small studio setting you will be bolted to the spot Smile

A tripod will allow you to concentrate on getting the best expressions from the kids, face to face without hiding behind the camera.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 5:07PM
I suggested tripod not for portraits but to investigate other styles such as macro or landscape (hence also cable release). There is very little 'essential' gear until you have worked out what you want to spend most of your time doing.
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 5:08PM
Looking at Nic's PF a tripod would seem a waste of money - Chris L with an interesting comment about 50mm lenses.

I use my 50mm all the time and it's perfect for the type of shot Nic seems to be taking. If Nic is going to continue with the type of shot he's uploaded here I would get the Nikon 50mm 1.4 (and a D700 to stick it on).
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
31 Oct 2012 5:23PM

Quote:Chris L with an interesting comment about 50mm lenses

And he`s probably right, indoors a 50mm could be a bit limiting and a little long, its not behaving like a 50mm on a 35mm body.

A wideish zoom would be more useful than a 50.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 6:01PM
If you think a 50mm lens might restrict you indoors then check this by zooming your existing 18-55 to 50 and leave it there, then take some pics of the kids etc.
nic_kukaj 2 3
31 Oct 2012 6:03PM
All the reccommendations are great and are giving me lots to think about.... and add to the ever increasing "I want" list!

I just wanted to add, I've only had my camera for a few months and haven't had a lot of time to experiment with other styles, so my current PF on here is predominately portraits- due to the fact that I have a toddler and a 5 month old to drag around with me!
I do seem to be erring towards portraits and macro's and love the idea of using natural light- thats not to say that I have no interested in exploring landscapes/wildlife etc.
Also, I am not aiming to be "professional", this is my hobby and I understand that without hundreds of pounds I am unlikely to get the best of the best- my aim is just to be able to turn my hand to whatever as the mood strikes and be able to take nice pictures Smile
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 6:26PM

Quote:If you think a 50mm lens might restrict you indoors

Have to say I haven't found this to be the case really but it all depends on what you are shooting I guess.
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 6:28PM
You have a lovely p.f with the kit you have Nic. Smile

Good wide open apps , subject to background placement and a nice variety of focal lengths. Great potential !

Id stick with the kit you have for now and maybe invest a little time learning more about metering , composition and post production.

You can do anything this link does.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
31 Oct 2012 7:00PM

Quote:You have a lovely p.f with the kit you have Nic

Yes I agree
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
31 Oct 2012 7:02PM
Looks like all the best advise has already been offered......Smile

Only thing I can add to this is, Have at least one " Glove Puppet " ( Sooty or Sweep ) to hand, Makes a great tool for childrens portraits if the attention wanders, Works with most adults too.....Grin

Has been known to work on animals too, Especially cats.....Sad

Wink
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
31 Oct 2012 7:25PM

Quote:Have at least one " Glove Puppet " ( Sooty or Sweep ) to hand, Makes a great tool for childrens portraits if the attention wanders

I used a teddy for young kids in the past - that sort of thing does grab their attention. Also making out that there's something inside the camera so they have to look into the lens to see it. But that's for more posed work. A lot of Nic's photos seems to be really cool natural un-posed shots which are a totally different way of working.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
31 Oct 2012 7:35PM

Quote:I used a teddy for young kids in the past - that sort of thing does grab their attention

Or you can scare the crap out of them dressing up like Alison

Works every time Smile

scared-kid.jpg

cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
31 Oct 2012 7:53PM

Quote:I used a teddy for young kids in the past - that sort of thing does grab their attention

Or you can scare the crap out of them dressing up like Alison

Works every time Smile

Thanks - I take that as a huge compliment as I do enjoy scaring the crap out of kiddies Smile They do like the mannequin I have here - especially the bottom half which serves as a plant stand in the entrance hall - the kids love the fact it's not wearing any knickers Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.