Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Basic kit must haves

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314900 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 8:01 PM

His mum told me he had a thing about dogs, so I had him sat on one (not real)

But then I couldn`t get his attention, so I stuck a wolf mask on, grabbed this before he stood up and ran towards me, 5 minutes earlier he couldn`t walk.

I ended up capturing his first steps as well, mum loved them Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Oct 2012 - 8:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 8:19 PM

Quote: You have a lovely p.f with the kit you have......

Second that

bigalguitarpicker
31 Oct 2012 - 10:48 PM

Quote:
Another thing I have been in the market for is some sort of flash/speedlight. I have been looking at Yongnuo ones, basically due to budget, but see that they get varying reviews- so again, not sure whether it is best to stick to nikon?

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a YongNuo 560 flash gun which cost me 33 post free. My other flash is a Nikon SB800 which cost more! I need the YongNuo primarily for lighting a backdrop, but it looks like it's capable of lots more. I have a YongNuo remote shutter release which works OK and was also very cheap, so I'm happy enough with that make of gear.
Alex.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 11:20 PM

Don't spend any money on other peoples' say so.

Determine if you have a gap in your equipment that you cannot get round another way. If you need or want shallow depth of field, you might need a lens with a wider aperture, otherwise you will gain little by buying a 50mm if you already cover that focal length.

If you need stability, then it's a tripod.
If you need hand holdability in low light, then it's a fast lens (85 f/1.8 is much dearer than 50 f/1.8).
If you need shallow DoF, then it's a fast lens.
If you need light in dark places, or to freeze action, then it's a flash.
If you want extreme close-up, it's a macro lens (expensive), filters (cheap), bellows(awkward) or ext tubes (middle!).

When you find you are being prevented from getting a particular shot by a lack of equipment, then you can assess whether you need to spend money. As said, you are doing pretty well with what you have.

Nick

CDSINUK
CDSINUK  2223 forum posts England
31 Oct 2012 - 11:47 PM

elements 10 or lightroom, if you cant get out you can do some pretty freaky stuff with good editing software, its stopped me ripping my hair out when i cant get away from home to shoot Smile not everyone likes it but it will help with creativitySmile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314900 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 12:12 AM

Quote: If you need light in dark places, or to freeze action, then it's a flash

Kids and shooting indoors puts a flash at the top of the list, far more useful than a second lens.

Kit lenses are also underrated and are thought of as being inferior but with practice they can become really quite capable.

User_Removed
1 Nov 2012 - 9:48 AM

Quote: 50mm lenses are a waste of time, you never use them..

Well, well, well. Chris never was one to hold back from a controversial statement!

If he had said "I never use them" rather than the ludicrous "you never use them", his statement might have been slightly more believable.

Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 9:52 AM

50mm lenses on APS-C or M4/3 sensor cameras can make decent portrait lenses.

But on FF, I'm not sure they are all that useful. Even going back to the olden days of film, I can recall my 50mm lens being the one I used least on my SLR.

User_Removed
1 Nov 2012 - 9:58 AM

Quote: his statement might have been slightly more believable.

What percentage of pictures in your portfolio are shot with your 50mm lens then LeftForum? Wink

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Nov 2012 - 9:58 AM

Quote: But on FF, I'm not sure they are all that useful.

I must be the only person who thinks a 50mm on a FF is a good combination. I guess it just works well for how I shot. I would say that my 17-35mm is getting more and more use now though.

User_Removed
1 Nov 2012 - 10:06 AM

LeftForum, you should sell your 50mm lens. Not one picture from it has made it through to your portfolio

Like me, you love your zooms Smile

Has anybody who suggested buying a 50mm lens got many pictures from one in their portfolio? Wink

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Nov 2012 - 10:26 AM

Quote: Has anybody who suggested buying a 50mm lens got many pictures from one in their portfolio?

No, but then I don't have many pics in my portfolio here.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 10:32 AM

I don't have anything in my portfolio! I do use a 50 quite a lot though....with one camera system I have, they don't sell zooms. Usual carry round kit is a body + 50mm, second body with 35mm (maybe different film) and a 90mm in the bag.

Using a single focal length is a good exercise. It makes you look for the picture, rather than shooting what appears in front of you and zooming to frame up. But it's only worth it if it gives you something you can't get with your existing kit.

Nick

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi Nic as you will already have read everyone as a different opinion and advice all be it mostly good. So the only thing I would add is look at others work you might admire check out what they are using research any kit you might need and don't panic buy my wife would kill me if she new how much I had wasted on kit that I have not used or its been wrong so if you want something,far better to save and get what you really want than to buy only to upgrade in the near future enjoy what you have and move slowly but with confidence.

Brian.....,........

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 3:42 PM

Quote: I am pretty new to DSLR photography, no formal qualification or long term experience- just enjoy taking photos. I have recently had a Nikon D3000 brought for me (Its a starting point!) and am looking at trying to collect a bit of "kit"

Going back to the initial post, you may well find that what may seem like a 'must have' now, may gather dust after a couple of years - as you explore photography and your needs change as your direction changes. So don't load yourself up with too much.

When you find you are banging up against the limitations of your kit, that is the best time to start adding to it. Collecting kit, on the off-chance you might need it, is the road to ruin. Lol! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.