Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Basics of printing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ringyneck
    ringyneck  7293 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 11:42 PM

Can anyone tell me the rules to achieve a half decent print on my home printer ( Epson S20 ).
    What is the best resolution to use.

I process my shots in Oly Master 2 and they get stored as Tiffs .
    A full frame shot is 3648 x 2736 pixels with a resolution of 300ppi.
    I can do any other processing at this stage in p/shop 7.
    The one thing that does not work well is sharpening.
    The sharpen does nothing but unsharp mask does a small amount.

When I process for the web I have been advised to change the resolution to 72 when I resize and then the sharpen works …sometimes it’s too fierce so I have to use unsharp mask as it give control on a slider.
    If the sharpen is overdone a white line appears around the main subject eg a bird.

So how can I sharpen it to look like it does on line but with the quality to print.?

Sorry if my explanation is not clear enough.

Keith

p.s. as an after thought while I'm here....I have wanted to have printing done @ an online shop either a print or a canvas and did not know what resolution needed and I was told (by 3rd party)that they don't need the images sharpened as they look after that...but how do they know how you want it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Mar 2012 - 11:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2012 - 12:32 AM

How to get decent prints isn't really something that can be put into a few lines, whole books are written on the subject Smile

But to answer your question regarding the sharpening. Try Smart Sharpen, view your image at 50% to get a rough idea of how the print will look, but for more precise results it's a matter of actually printing the image and inspecting that.

You don't need to change the resolution at all for the web, just the image's dimensions, i.e. 1000 pixels wide, etc.

Regarding online printing, ask them if they prefer the images to be sharpened or if they will carry out that step for you, some printers won't, some will and it's likely they'll achieve a far superior result, particularly if you don't have the experience of sharpening images for print, which can vary hugely depending on print size, quality, print surface, etc. etc.

Quote: but how do they know how you want it

Experience and a good sense of judgement.

Last Modified By justin c at 9 Mar 2012 - 12:39 AM
    rogleale
    rogleale  11117 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Mar 2012 - 6:28 AM

Hi Keith,
    Firstly - your image is 3648 x 2736 pixels but it does not have a 'resolution' until you come to resize or print it.
    At 300ppi it would produce a print of 12.1 inches x 9.12 inches.
    Why resize? Send the image to your printer just as it is and detail the size of print that you want in the printer driver dialogue, and let the ppi be decided by the printer. Any resolution above 180ppi will produce a good print. For example - you could print to a 20in x 15in picture and the resolution would be 180ppi.
    Justin is right, for the web just make a duplicate of your image and reduce the pixel size - forget the resolution.

Roger

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.