Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Batch converting .tiff to .jpg

theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2010 11:27PM
Hello.

Would any of you fine folks know of a utility that can batch process a bunch of folders of .tiff images to HQ .jpg images?

In a decision to cut down the size of my archive, I've taken the step to convert certain files I know I'll never edit again to JPEG in order to cut down on the silly amounts of space they take up.

So far I've been using Photoshop's image processor, but with that I need to open each folder individually to select the files and set them going. The task is taking an age!

Any help will be much appreciated! Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 12:00AM
Lightroom does this too
18 Nov 2010 12:05AM

Quote:Photoshop does batch. Try Irfanview though

Photoshop doesn't allow you to work on a group of folders, each image has to be individually selected. I imagine Lightroom is the same.

I haven't tried Irfan view. I'll take a look. Smile
18 Nov 2010 12:45AM

Quote:each image has to be individually selected

surely not

Try it yourself. If you select a folder, Phoroshop cries. (I'm using CS3). So each folder has to be opened, and the files within selceted. The job is taking ages (over 80,000 files).
Dave_Canon 8 918 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 9:45AM
Just use an action in conjuction with PS Image Processor or Lightroom's Export. I converted 2,000 files from one form of PSD file to another very easily doing this. This is ideal for Actions.

Dave
18 Nov 2010 10:23AM
At the moment I'm opening each folder in Bridge, selecting all the files and setting Image Processor to convert the selected files, saving in the same location.

This is fine, but repeating this on over 2500 folders is what's taking the time. Irfan view looks to be a one folder at a time job too. Sad
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Nov 2010 10:23AM
Set up a Droplet Action..think they were around in Cs3..then drop them and go open a beer.
18 Nov 2010 10:41AM
That looks to be the kind of thing. How would I get it to save in the same location? If i record an action I'll have to specify a single location for them to be saved.

It's a bit early for beer, even for me Wink
18 Nov 2010 12:25PM
Photoshop will do it, as said above use a batch action or better yet a droplet. Then go and have dinner with 80.000 it could take a while.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 12:30PM
A vote for Irfanview. It's free and converting TIFF to JPG is only one of the batch jobs it can do.

Ian
Mjhearne 7 432 4 Scotland
18 Nov 2010 12:30PM
1. Open CS3.
2. Go to File > Scripts > Image Processor
3. In the new window do the follwing:

Step 1. Select the folder where the images reside.
Step 2. Choose the location to save the images.
Step 3. Tick Save as jpeg and Convert Profile to sRGB, Quality 10 or 12. Make sure you do not tick the Constrain Image box.
Step 4. Tick the box that says Includ ICC profile.

Regards,

Matthew
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 12:51PM

Quote:Photoshop doesn't allow you to work on a group of folders, each image has to be individually selected. I imagine Lightroom is the same.

Lightroom works fine - just put all the images into a collection of some sort, select them all and chose export.
18 Nov 2010 1:05PM
I think the hangup I have is that I don't want them all exported to a single folder somewhere. It's take me years to sort all those images again.

Non of the above seem to allow me to select a group of folders with images in them and convert to jpeg saving in the original location (or at least in a folder in the original location.

I'm using image processor at the moment, but that's a folder at a time job. I don't have lightroom. I might see if I could get the trial version to do it.

Thanks all for your input.
macroman 11 15.3k England
18 Nov 2010 9:30PM
Back on my hobby horse again, but Faststone Image Viewer is great and will convert JPG to tiff and other formats.
You can convert images from different folders, and save them all back in their original folder..

PS it retains the original JPGS as well.
macroman 11 15.3k England
18 Nov 2010 9:47PM
Sorry! I meant batch convert Tiffs to JPGs. Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.